Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo Snow Holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Billy no snow mates so looking to sort a solo holiday and was looking for resort recommendations.

I went three years ago to Kitz and had a great time and now wanting to go again but I don’t have the friends group to do it with anymore.

Totally fine going on my own but just want suggestions on a good resort for a solo travel.

I am moderate snowboarder (I can do reasonably hard red runs once I get my skill level back up after a day or two) but I want a smaller resort where if I had an accident etc I’m not going to get left for the wolves to find me if you follow my drift or get lost. Also being a snowboarder I don’t want a resort with lots of black runs and flats.

Any advice welcome

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about a snowHeads bash? Ready made friends group every time.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=31

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am a snowboarder - won’t I be view as Satan himself lol
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oafc0000 wrote:
I am a snowboarder - won’t I be view as Satan himself lol

Yes, but you won't be alone .....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Also being a snowboarder I don’t want a resort with lots of black runs

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

There are always good-looking, funny and stylish snowboarders on bashes. Join us!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at UCPA, their UK agent is Action Outdoors (https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/). Not everyone's cup of tea, but they have a decent choice of resorts...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, but we might leave it until the last second before we step in and prevent the wolves getting you. How last second will depend on how long pointing and laughing keeps us warm. snowHead

Only other downside is that on the bashes with tuition available, the provision for snowboarders is significantly less.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@oafc0000, there’s a UK Facebook group called Billy Snow Mates which seems to be snowboarding focused. I’d join that. I think they do a bash type thing too
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@adithorp, There was crackin' good boarding tuition at the last eosb. Plus, we're all good at sharing tips etc. If I wasn't on the self-harm bashes, I'd be joining you on the birfday bashes. I hear you make a soft comfortable target for us.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for going on a bash.

There are lots of boarders on Snowheads and we are all amazingly cool*. I'm sure you'll find good company. Even some skiers aren't so bad to spend a couple of days with. Toofy Grin

* In our eyes, at least.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bashes are great, imo, not only for giving you people to ski with for one trip but also because it increases your 'address book' when booking future trips. I did my first sH bash about 3 years ago. Since then I've done 8 more trips and every one has either been another bash or been with people I met on a bash.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@oafc0000, we have come across these a couple of times and they have skiers and boarders, some are single some don't have friends that ski or a partner that's into skiing

https://www.friendshiptravel.com/ski-and-snowboard.html

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 21-11-18 20:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=19
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I considered a solo trip this season, until my son kindly volunteered to come and double my costs, but I was very tempted by Saalbach/ Hinterglemm and found several decent prices for a single room in a B and B through the resort website. (Www.saalbach.com). Clearly date will affect price and availability but at least transfers are easy through the shuttle -85 euros ish from Salzburg, the ski area I assume would suit your not too steep/ snowboard requirements and plenty of people around to assist if required, with plenty of SH knowledge to point you towards the best runs and bars. Though I would second that a bash, next year if not this, seems a sensible suggestion.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I often holiday solo and do not worry at all if on piste - loads of people around all the time. If you want a bit of company pick a SCGB resort and ski a day with the leader or join - yes they do have snowboarders and I think some leaders even lead on snowboards. I would recommend somewhere like Kitzbuhel or its satellites or if you are feeling a bit flush somewhere like Wengen where the pistes are generally not too scary but there is huge distance to cover. Switzerland and Austria generally do not screw solo travellers too badly albeit the TOs generally do as a matter of profitability but the underlying hotels often have much better value diying. Also public transport is so well integrated in these countries so transfers can often be a lot easier.
ski holidays
I have done solo trips. Mostly up to Finland to do cross country skiing but had a great solo trip alpine skiing in Geilo , Norway.

No single supplements and easy transfer from Oslo via train
snow report
Thanks everyone, lots to go at, I am tempted by the Bashes Smile
snow conditions
Indeed, we Snowheads snowboarders are amazingly cool! Toofy Grin

Seriously though, can't recommend bashes enough! Discovered on the End of Season bash while researching a solo trip, never ridden alone since.

Also look into snowboard camps, expensive but instant riding buddies and the tuition can't hurt either!

tomj wrote:
+1 for going on a bash.

There are lots of boarders on Snowheads and we are all amazingly cool*. I'm sure you'll find good company. Even some skiers aren't so bad to spend a couple of days with. Toofy Grin

* In our eyes, at least.
snow report
Bashes are way too expensive, after I got hooked on them as a solo traveller 4 yrs ago, the cost of the trip is ok but the resulting divorce cost me big time Laughing
snow conditions
We had at least ten boarders on the last EoSB, obviously still massively in the minority but we stick together, you'll always have other people to board with Smile
latest report
@oafc0000, If Saalbach is under consideration (and it probably should be, especially if you enjoyed Kitz)) give us a shout. Depending on the dates, our spare room may be available for a solo skier (or even snowboarder Toofy Grin )

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 22-11-18 19:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
juno wrote:
We had at least ten boarders on the last EoSB, obviously still massively in the minority but we stick together as skiers don't want us in their groups, you'll always have other people to board with Smile

FIFY Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I've skied with a couple of boarders on bashes and had a good time. They rely on me being able to easily sneak up to the edge and peek over before launching off!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 22-11-18 23:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I did a snowboard camp last Jan and then the EOSB and can definitely recommend both.

Off to the pre season follow up in a couple of weeks Very Happy
snow report
These may give you an idea of how happy [even] snowBoarders can be on a Bash

http://youtube.com/v/DV6-SdLyXP0

http://youtube.com/v/xmiVxsaVJvo
ski holidays
The bashes look cool but on this occasion the resort aren't too my liking. Maybe next year Smile

Thanks for the suggestion on billy snow mates - there was a cool trip to Les Deux Alps I was going to sign up for but it clashes with my daughters stage show Sad

I really like the look of Saalbach - looks like a good resort for a solo trip - hard to get lost with all the runs heading back into town.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
snow report
Another option is to join a snowboard camp of some description. There are loads going on. I run a bunch of off-piste / backcountry / splitboard camps (www.whiteroomsnowboarding.com), but I have friends running camps themed around freestyle, technique progression or just fun shredding.

Loads of people go on those types of trip solo and you know you're going to be in with like-minded riders at a similar level. You mentioned above that you're an intermediate-level rider, but don't let that put you off. Camps & courses are not all aimed at experts, there are plenty of "intro to" type trips as well as trips focussed on improving your general riding skills.

If that sounds interesting, just post here with what kind of trip might suit you and I can probably suggest someone who will be running something that works for you.
ski holidays
If you fancy the PdS you could give HOFNAR a go - chalet full of other solo travelers, usually a good mix of abilities and boarders/skiers. Because everyone's a solo traveler everyone tends to be quite independent so no pressure to all slide together, unless you want to.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy