Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Painful ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Background: I loved skiing when I was a kid but as I grew it became difficult to find boots that fit me. Fast forward to my late 30s and everything I rented caused me pretty bad pain after even one short run.

I had trouble figuring it out but eventually I realised that because I have big calves and big, flat feet I was having trouble getting my heel seated in the boot and so when I started skiing my heel was suspended and this was pulling on tendons in my calves and feet that aren't used to supporting my body weight in that direction.

So I went and bought the most roomy boots I could find and they heat formed them open and moved the straps. For whatever reason I didn't notice at the time that my left heel was still not seating right. It doesn't seem to be a problem until I actually start skiing.

I also went to see a physio and sure enough I was on the verge of needing compartment surgery to release my calves. The fascia in my feet crunched it was so bad. A few months later and I've regained a lot of mobility in my calves and feet.

I still need to get that boot sized properly though, does anyone know of a place in Auckland who will heat form the boots again and do a really good job of it? And has anyone else had this problem?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wish I had an answer for you -- but welcome to the forum...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome... guess your best bet is to go on as many of the nearest resort forums as you can find and keep asking.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to SHs, @Antidamage, ... your physio prescribed surgery?

Impressive physio!

Not sure I understand your question other than, "my boots hurt, can you help?" and I'm afraid don't know any Auckland bootfitters.

Maybe try an NZ ski forum?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only shops I know in Auckland that are proper ski shops now are Snowcentre in Newmarket and Ski Trading Post in East Tamaki. I have bought gear in both but not boots.

I like the guys in Ski Trading Post (talk to Andrew the owner, maybe Chris the seasonnaire tech if hes still there) to see what they offer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was going to suggest you go to get your feet sorted at Bicester near Oxford,
But then I noticed you are about as far as you can get from Oxford unless you were on a different planet.

I hope you can get your feet to be happy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:
I was going to suggest you go to get your feet sorted at Bicester near Oxford,
But then I noticed you are about as far as you can get from Oxford unless you were on a different planet.

I hope you can get your feet to be happy.

Was also going to mention Bicester....

But, on the other hand - a wee bit closer, and popular with those from that end of the world is Japan.... these people below may be an option if you fancy making a holiday trip to there

http://www.bootsolutionsjapan.com/moulded-liners/

They do Zipfits and have podiatrists so should be good

I mentioned them in this thread at Pugski
https://www.pugski.com/threads/buying-boots-while-traveling-to-europe.11584/page-2#post-266905
and they were seconded as good in post #39 by someone who has used them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry guys, I got mixed up and thought this was an NZ skiing forum. I see some helpful replies here though so thanks!

No, seeing the physio prevented surgery. Normally they can't resolve it but I got in in time. It was still a long, painful process.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Antidamage, welcome to the world of tight calves, i see people daily with this type of issue, sounds like you have a great physio who recognized the issues and set you on the right track

i cant be town specific but in NZ there are a couple of decent shops (my geography of the area is not good) there are Browns, Gnomes and sole lab all have got past record for decent boot fitting, hopefully one is close enough to you

space in this case is not your friend, big boots will allow your foot to move into the problems, boot should be very snug, as upright in the cuff as is available for your foot shape and fairly stiff flex , you may then also require a heel lift to help get you in an angle that youe body does not fight with the boot in, add to that a good footbed and possibly even a custom liner and whilst you might not ski completely pain free, it should be more mild discomfort than rip the boots off at every opportunity
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="CEM]
i cant be town specific but in NZ there are a couple of decent shops (my geography of the area is not good) there are Browns, Gnomes and sole lab all have got past record for decent boot fitting, hopefully one is close enough to you [/quote]

Now I have bought boots in Browns but when they had an Auckland shop, its since closed for a fair few years now. I guess they are just in Queenstown now and with Gnomes also a South Island concern both are a bit of a trip from Auckland. Even further than the distance some would travel in the UK to get to CEM.

Suppose the OP could combine getting boots with a ski trip down there. Havent heard about Sole Lab in NZ.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy