Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who is the 'new world-class athlete who has returned to race for Great Britain'?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been invited to a press event tomorrow when British Ski and Snowboard will be

Quote:
'announcing the name of a World Cup-winning Olympic athlete who has just confirmed their return to race for their country of birth'

Do any Snowheads have any thoughts (or inside info) on who this might be? I thought maybe Fanny Smith (CH skier X, British parents), but she wasn't born in the UK. I also looked up Tessa Worley (FR, alpine ski), but born in France. Maybe an Aussie or a Kiwi, but who has already won a World Cup event??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Daniel Yule has Scottish parents so is probably eligible although he was born in Switzerland I think.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would guess this one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like it... @rjs
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strictly speaking it's not returned is it? She has been in France and the French system since the age of 4. Presumably part of our Olympic medal programme is to throw cash at these sort of athletes to claim them. Even so reading between the liens of Le Dauphine article is sounds like she has fallen out with France since her coach left.

Not sure it's a great way to go about climbing the medal table* although it obviously worked with Izzy Atkin as well.

* Not entirely sure what our medal strategy is but if its cash for medals as it seems to be then it ultimately bodes better for non UK athletes with a decent grassroots programme and a plausible UK connection than UK athletes without the same grassroots programme/funding.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I wonder if it's a case of the British system trying to promote a side of the sport we're not so well recognised in? They must have a decent wave of freestylers coming through so trying to get kids interested in other disciplines by virtue of getting success in them?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I wonder if it's a case of the British system trying to promote a side of the sport we're not so well recognised in? They must have a decent wave of freestylers coming through so trying to get kids interested in other disciplines by virtue of getting success in them?

I would have guessed the opposite. BSS has lots of funding for freestyle, France maybe concentrating on Alpine skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

How many boarder/skier X courses do we have in the UK? While fridges and dryslopes can at least put up kickers and rails they can't really accomodate anything like X facilities. So there isn't really a grassroots to incubate - anyone practising those sports will be out in the alps anyway and likely as not a converted racer. Feels like a "let's buy a medal chance" strategy to me by BSS.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is actually an indoor SBX scene, and "start sections" are something that's relatively easy to build and train on a small scale, but for sure, there isn't really anyway to train full-scale SBX (certainly not world cup or even Europa cup scale) in the UK, even outdoors in Scotland.

FIS-level racing is very doable in Scotland and it would be very cool to see. I did some FIS races in Czech and really liked the courses that they built with limited snow/vertical. Fun, tight and technical - unlike, e.g. the French nationals I raced which was pretty much wide-open with the gap jumps of doom.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that link. Evidently the French aren't happy about it, but if I understand that right, she's not happy with her coach being moved on?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Met her today. She seemed a little nervous, but I guess snowsports competitors don't 'change' nationality often. Interview published here
https://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/18500.page#157861
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a brexit positve 'o)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Came across this article in my research - nice spot by the author. I wondered if Jonny Learoyd could come back too

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/the-french-trio-who-could-have-raced-for-team-gb-at-winter-olympics-2018-a3767826.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's an interview with Charlotte Bankes in the latest episode of The Ski Podcast
http://theskipodcast.com/podcast/episode-25-st-anton-charlotte-bankes-billy-morgans-favourite-resort/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy