Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving through the night to the Alps - advice for first timer

Poster: A snowHead
We have decided that instead of stopping we will drive through the night tomorrow. This will be the first time we have done this. Catching an 8.30pm train and then just cruising down.

Has anyone any experience of this and any advice for us? There are two of us, in a very comfortable vehicle, heated seats, lots of room etc. We have chains, blankets, food and water.. and a shovel

Will the petrol stations be open 24 hours ?(we will need to refuel at least twice)

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mouth, With a comfy heated seat and the long empty motorways....refuel on caffeine often! I find them hypnotic even in the day when you've got the chance of passing the odd lorry. Aires will be open for fuel 24/7.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mouth,

No problem whatsoever, watch out for variable speed limits on the autoroutes, they may go down from 130kmh to 90 depending on terrain. Have look at Via Michelin to see any speed cameras and put them in your journey, either Sat nav or map...
Petrol stations should be no further apart than 100k but they post this at the signs for the upcoming station.

If you average 80mph you should get to the French gateway in 8 hrs max inc stops....as long as you don't stop for more than 20mins or so more than 3 times..

Its a doddle
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Guys. We know the route and are aware of the speed limits and keep within. We reckon we could be in our apartment by 8am snow permitting
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There are two of us, in a very comfortable vehicle, heated seats, lots of room etc

I would suggest a damp face cloth to wipe down when sleepiness approaches. Perhaps some herbal "keep you awake" remedy. Comfy warm vehicles induce sleep. I would swap drivers every 2 hrs max. When swapping have a jog round the car park to get the blood flowing to keep the brain awake. Loud music (earphones MP3) is also good for keeping alert. The first time you feel tired take action straight away.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mouth,

Easily... I'd be pi$ed if I didn't make that time doing reasonable speeds.

On the approaches to Calais, they can have mobiles out as its easy money off the Brits trying to make the ferry/train
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Loads of Red Bull works well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ThanksFrosty the Snowman, Yes we will be swapping drivers frequently. I am quite happy jogging round the car parks but other half may draw the line at this one! He will probably stick to the coffee.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill wrote:
Loads of Red Bull works well.
Wasn't there a thread on its illegality en France?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman,

Then do Dark Dog instead...its the same thing, almost..!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, You trying to get me arrested before I even get there???
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've found story tapes rather than music better for staying awake, particularly on the home leg, but whatever you think will work. You'll make good time so if you do pull over for a nap be aware that it gets very cold in the car very quickly - consider leaving the engine on. I have spent 4 hours trying to warm up having been chilled to the core like this once. get out of the car for your caffeine and food, doesn't cost much more to buy from the road cafes and you will stay awake much more effectively.

Its a real thrill arriving in the resort by car early in the day. Have a great trip. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I've found story tapes rather than music better for staying awake

Martin Nicholas, Excellent idea, keeps the mind going.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Nicholas, even better than talking books is to have a stimulating conversation with your passenger. So keep all your frustrations bottled up for now and argue all the way to the Alps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
neilswingler, Puzzled
Quote:

have a stimulating conversation with your passenger

we've been married 19 years so don't have many of these now, well not to last 8 hours, usually "don't overtake here"..... "you've missed the turning to the Pottery now"...... "was that a craft shop?" . Sorry Mrs N - just joking
snow report
So Dear, Should we join the swingers club
Snnnooorrrrrrrrrrr
I am leaving you for your sister
Snnoooooorrrrrrr
She will be sharing a triple room with us
Snnnnnorrrr
I forgot to pack your skis
WHAT!!
latest report
Mouth if you feel drowsy just think Tartiflette on Trappeurs balcony yummmm! Hold that thought and you'll be fine! Toofy Grin
Don't let the passenger talk 'shop' Laughing
latest report
Good luck wink
snow conditions
I've done probably 40 overnight-drive-through-france ski trips and a load more climbing trips in summer, and like JT says it's no problem really - given the choice between 6 days skiing by plane or 8 days skiing by car there's really no contest.

I'd advise plenty of good CDs, keep the blower on fairly cool, and agree with FTS about trying to do no more than 2hrs at a time between switching drivers. It's really better with 3 or 4 drivers, then one of you can sleep, but doable with just 2 as long as the passenger is half-awake enough to deal with navigation and tolls.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone this has been helpful! This time tomorrow will be on the way!
snow conditions
Mouth wrote:
Thanks everyone this has been helpful! This time tomorrow will be on the way!

Only if this snow eases off! Laughing
ski holidays
Mouth, I drove back from Andorra over night after a full days skiing - not something I would repeat in a hurry.

Drink plenty of water/fruit juice and keep cereal/choc bars close to hand and top-up with double expresso when stopping for fuel. Last but not least, KEEP YOUR PASSENGER AWAKE. This may sound contradictory given you are sharing the driving but necessary to stop you falling asleep. Skullie
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
Silly point , dont sit on your wallet. It puts preassure on the tendons that run across the glutes and aid balance, via load transfer . It also can effect your hamstrings. Ask any traffic cop. Try having the seat a little more upright too. No euros available at eurostar late evenings , in my experience. i like to have some change for the coffee machines. Dont fall asleep , did it once on A3 and very nearly killed someone on the hard shoulder. I S*** myself....
snow report
Shaun Hurlow,

I mentioned this a number of times before on this board.

In Germany more Germans die driving overnight to Austria & skiing immediatly the next monring. Also, there are many many serious accidents involving people driving home after a long days exercise on the slopes as a direct result of deprived sleep & tiredness.

I doubt the situation is any different in France.

If you need to drive overnight, sleep during the previous day.
Do not take on a marathon drive home after a day on the slopes, this is as irresponsible/wreckless as driving under the influence.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Shaun Hurlow,

If you need to drive overnight, sleep during the previous day.

I am at work!! I can't although could theoretically take a nap! Anyway not planning on skiing tomorrow at all. Just getting ourselves organised for our friends!
latest report
If poss, i would have thought a good compromise is to drive until say 1 and then drop into a cheap stopover and get up early (6). I would have thought you would get into the resort early in a much better position to have a nice day and that it would be much safer.
snow report
dan100, yes that is always an option and if that is how we feel we will do exactly that. I am secretly hoping that sheer excitement will keep me awake! Razz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, as I said at the top of my post, it is not something I would repeat in a hurry.

Every time since, even going to the Alps, we stop on the way down somewhere around Dijon, Georges St Nuits etc and enjoy a good meal, sample the excellent local wine and bed down for night in a cheap hotel.

Early breakfast and still on the slopes for the afternoon Cool
snow conditions
Shaun Hurlow, We usually do the same and this is the first time we are doing it this way. I do like the stopping off, meal etc but we will be too late tonight for anything other than a burger king special which is NOT my cup of tea!
snow report
Been thinking about your trip , There is one big bend on the way to the Alpes , it is really tight and keeps going round , it is also 1 lane so no room before you hit the concrete barrier . I think its somewhere south of Reims , i never can remember but its not a corner to go barrelling into at 80mph in the dark at midnight. I would try to stop at St Quentin, there is an ETAP there its about 100miles from Calalis its £20 , better to get about 6 or 7 hours sleep then leave at dawn . If you have no intention of skiing next day you will fell better for the next 2 days. The etap is at the back of a small industrial estate and can be booked online or on your moby.
ski holidays
Mouth, They do tea at Burger King Shocked
ski holidays
Surely a lot of the feasability will depend on the other driver. Lets say the other driver finds it easy to sleep in the car and has had 4 hours sleep before the first stint. Maybe you can go non stop. Maybe you have to pull over and kip for a couple of hours in the car.
latest report
Stoppin off for an overnight somewhere is the best sollution if driving . Its better than stopping of at the funeral director Skullie

Dont forget you may think your OK to drive but after 8-10 hrs at the wheel your not only tired but driving where in the mountains where your you have to be at your most alert.
snow conditions
Hope Mouth, is OK on her epic journey.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I can report from Mouth that the journey was fine she got to her appt at around 8.00 on Friday She and her boss wink have been out boarding in the powder around Montalbert today Very Happy
snow report
dupes, I know the bend well! I think it is just before Reims, where you leave the Calais - Reims motorway and join the Reims by-pass. Have seen several cars in the ditch over the years.

There is also a tight access off the motorway into Chambery which you need to be aware of.

Shaun Hurlow, agree with your approach, we used to do this ourselves for a longer break and now with 3 kids it is essential! This year we drove over to Calais on Thursday night, were off at 6am and stayed in Macon on the Friday, another early start meant we were in Les Arcs by 11 on the Sat and could colelct skis, lift passed and shop hours before the first transfer coaches arrived.

Maybe an age thing but now I'm in late 30's there and with kids I could fall asleep standing up past about 10!
snow conditions
Mouth: Be careful, make a stops often to prevent falling asleep!
ski holidays
Well thanks for all the advice and can report it went well. We had snow from Reims to south of Dijon and I mean heavy snow. We were follwoing a snowplough on the autoroute at 20mph at some points.
Frequent stops to change drivers every 2 hours. The passenger dozed, slept and we kept the music on. I know every word to the latest Madonna album by heart now.

Caught the 8.05 train and arrived in Aime at 7.30. Not bad going seeing as we had really bad weather most of the way. Must say it was pretty cool driving towards the mountains as the sun rose. Managed to stay awake all day on arrival as well.
snow conditions
Anyway, try to look at http://www.zimni-alpy.cz it is czech biggest winter portal. Forecasts, snow-conditions, 650 ski-resorts, skimaps, articles and much more. There will surely help you with your route!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy