Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2018-2019

Poster: A snowHead
Bifies Hutte
Sonnalm
Both good
Zauchnsee, Flachauwinkle and Kleinarl were stunning today. Hero snow.
Early doors, Black 10 at Zauch had 6-10 inches of fresh, light powder on a pistes base. We lapped it 4 times on the bounce. It was truly special for a divvy like me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, you were bang on the money with recommending Winklalm at the top of the sunshine shuttle (first lift at Flachauwinkl) yesterday for lunch
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pembsflyer, piste 5, 4, 2 is a fab way down
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oops double bubble post.
Where's to watch 6 nations France v Wales Friday night?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pembsflyer, almrausch and/or Emas probably...but pop in and ask
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have checked, will be showing in Almrausch
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from Emma's Bar in Flachau and still trying to fathom how France lost. But, staff tell me every game will be shown on the big screen. No sound but feed is good!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@panaga52, Emas not Emmas
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
End of a quite brilliant week. Crowds were out on Thursday for some reason, but we have had awesome snow conditions.
Nice and cold, but not too cold, some freshies and some superb piste conditions. Warming up a bit know though.
What great value it is here. Will Post more about that later.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Frosty the Snowman, good to see you on Sunday. I was hoping to catch up with you again but parenting and working keeps me busy. Let us know next time you are here, glad you like this area. Ange.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Ange, also it's not easy meeting up with folks when you are a group of 12. Was lovely to meet you and Jerry again, Scarpa briefly and to put a face to @queenie pretty please and Kooky.
With a bit of thought and planning, Radstadt / Altenmarkt makes for a very cheap and brilliant base.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

it's not easy meeting up with folks when you are a group of 12.
I'm very proud of having managed it once AND of having been able to elicit an affirmative response to the traditional snowHead greeting. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurtle, snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, its not easy meeting up with those that live here - those visiting is even more tricky! We did it though - ay. Till next time. Ange
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Frosty the Snowman, Great to see you again Cool
snow conditions
Just arrived in Bad Hofgastein for the week. We're on a Crystal package and they're offering a ski away day to Alpendorf for £28 a head. That seem reasonable? I've only got timetables for the local,ski buses so I don't know if it's viable to go by public transport. And is it easy to ski from Alpendorf to Flachau and back in a day? I'd like to see as much of the Amade as possible.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie,

Put it this way..I have never been to ski at bad hofgastein even in a car. I might be entirely wrong but it feels like a long way on public transport.

alpendorf to Flachau easy peasy..ski to wagrain and go across on the g link. Watch the clock though as you need to be back across in time to get the lifts back up to to alpendorf to ski down.
latest report
I would have thought you would be spending valuable sking time on the bus.

10 bus ride mins down the valley to Dorfgastein which is a cracking area, we will be there again in March. The Stubnerkogel and Schlossalm areas above Badgastein and Bad Hofgastein have some excellent long runs and the new gondola is a much needed improvement making repeated valley runs to Bad Hofgastein a better option than previously with the funicular/cable car uplift.

Local buses up to Sportgastein and the seperate Graukogel hill in Badgastein which is fantastic in bad weather.

Gasteinertal has more than enough to keep you happy for a week.

Save some of the other areas in Ski Amade for future trips.
snow conditions
@Valkyrie, it is possible to get from BHG to Alpendorf using lifts and public transport, bus to Dorfgastein, lifts/ski over to Grossarl, bus from the bottom of Grossarl to Alpendorf (check times for this, it's not a regular service). But as the poster above says, it would take some time. If the Crystal away day takes you directly to Alpendorf and back again, then it's a huge time saver, although I expect there's a fair bit of profit in the €28 per head.

As holidayloverxx says, it's easy to get over to Flachau and back from Alpendorf and lots of pleasant runs on the route. You could save the bus to Dorfgastein for another away day and fully explore that area.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-02-19 10:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, nice to meet you too. snowHead
snow conditions
@Valkyrie. If there's four or more of you, I would have thought that one of the local shuttle taxis would do it cheaper and you can set your own timings.
ski holidays
I really wouldn't bother. It will be busy and more trouble than it's worth
snow report
Thanks all, we've decided to go the Crystal trip to Alpendorf on Thursday. In the meantime, here's a conditions report for Bad Hofgastein: everything is awesome! Lots of snow, now nicely compacted down to firm and grippy on the pistes, with busy sections getting a bit bumpy after lunch. Quite a lot of people about, some lift queues and the ski buses are rammed but it's great snow and glorious weather so that's fair enough.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, it's Vienna week, i.e. a third of the population of Austria are on holiday this week, plus a few areas of Germany too. This is usually the busiest week of the season.
latest report
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Valkyrie, it's Vienna week,.
- it means nothing to me......
latest report
@t4tomo, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Some stunning conditions the other day in Wagrain/Flachau.

ski holidays
Wow - thanks for the update.

Getting really excited for half term!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa Those photos have blown a couple of hidden gems, they'll be full of punters by the weekend!!
snow report
@panaga52, dosnt matter, there wasnt too much left of it by the time we had finished! but we do have a few other places that will be quite sweet wink

Set to be a big weekend here with 5 counties of Austria all on holiday from Friday, plus the Dutch invasion, the weather is incredible and the snow is top.......
snow conditions
Well the trip round from Bad Hofgastein to Alpendorf was well worth it. Only 30 minutes in taxi from hotel to the gondola, lots of sunshine, snow and people. Very impressed with the lift system, except for the Mozart gondola which was very busy and very unpleasant. Lots of super wide and easy pistes, really couldn't work out why so many of the runs were marked as Red. Only did a straight out and back trip to Flachau but saw enough to decide it's worth a proper visit sometime.
latest report
@Valkyrie, Yes the mozart really does need replacing. News: "WAGRAIN - KLEINARL CONNECTION From December 2020, depending on the commissioning of the new Flying Mozart, a 3.1 km long ten-seater gondola will connect the Shuttleberg with Wagrain, from the Flachauwinkl - Kleinarl ridge to the Flying Mozart slope. Then you will reach the nearby mountain in only twelve minutes. " we have been waiting for this for a couple of years so finger crossed it happens

I think the reds in Flachau are on the easy side, but cruisey blue skiers struggle with them
snow report
Flying Mozart and Rote 8 are proper reds.
We skied down to the base stations on both sides from the G Link and lifted base to top.

I love the quieter area of Kleinarl and am not in favour of the connection
ski holidays
So I'm not the only person that thinks that the Flying Mozart is a bit of a nightmare Very Happy
latest report
It's the one lift I always avoid if I can too, hate it.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, TBH I am not bothered about the link, it is so easy on the bu. the link means you woudl have to come back early anyway. It is the lift upgrade that I am waiting for. If I come back to the middle station on the GLink I sometimes ski down to the bottom as you wait ages to get on a bubble at the middle.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Hi Ange, also it's not easy meeting up with folks when you are a group of 12. Was lovely to meet you and Jerry again, Scarpa briefly and to put a face to @queenie pretty please and Kooky.
With a bit of thought and planning, Radstadt / Altenmarkt makes for a very cheap and brilliant base.
It was brilliant to catch up with you and your lot J, not to mention my little headtorch walk to Altenmarkt for my invite to tea Very Happy All the best to the gang.
latest report

Crowds seem to have disappeared from Bad Hofgastein today, only ten folk in this 80 person cable car!
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, you really should make a day trip to Bad Hofgastein. Easy drive and sufficiently different to your own area to feel like a real change.
snow report
@Valkyrie, we were going to go at new year but too much snow stopped a lot of play
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy