Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't do backflips, kids

Poster: A snowHead
How it began, a few months ago:

Lucas: This season, I want to try to do a backflip.
Me: Do you know how to do that?
Lucas: No, but I watched a YouTube video.
Me: ...
Lucas: They had a (gymnastics) box, and lots of mats.
Me: We don't have these things.
Lucas: We have a crash mat.

We do, indeed, have a crash mat. A really big one at the bouldering wall, and a bouldering mat. So yesterday, there are a few people around, including two who can backflip from a standing start.

So with two supporters, we had a go. I think I landed on my head or back the first time, so nothing new there, but the second time the cracking in my foot and subsequent colourful swelling this morning, as well as a few nudges from Facebook friends, had me spending the afternoon in the accident clinic. I now have a very fetching cast on my left leg, and a pair of really nice purple crutches, that are a perfect match for both my decor and the hoodie I was wearing at the clinic.

Broken fib at the ankle. Cast for six weeks by the sounds of it, and a daily injection of anti-coagulants. Fun times. Good job there's no snow yet, though I'll miss the bouldering as I was going twice a week.

If you're local, come and visit. I'm going to be really fed up Sad

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aarghh! @Scarlet really sorry to see that this has happened. I'm sure fed up doesn't even begin to cover it Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, Shocked ouch. Mend soon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sad Sad Sad Hope it mends well and soon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, owwww, that looks painful. Bad luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ouch, get well soon. I'm still gonna try one this season however Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once in an earlier life I was a gymnastics coach and taught a lot of back flips. The bit I concentrated on was a good solid handstand. Once the arms were solid and paralell above the head even if the gymnast was too low nothing serious happened. However it was once they got to the handstand that the real action started. A really fast snap down was need to get back to the feet with the chest moving up quickly for the next element.
Fortunately I never had any One get such a nasty injury as yours. Good luck with the recovery.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm confused..... I thought it was Lucas who wanted to do a backflip?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet is always game for a challenge... not always to her own benefit!

Hayley, if I say “you total wally” please understand I say that from a place of affection. But also. You total wally! NehNeh

Get well soon. Watch out for RSI in your wrists from the crutches.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 16-11-18 20:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What are you like? rolling eyes

Heal quick.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Maireadoconnor, Laughing I think you know me better than I thought Embarassed

@pam w, Lucas started it. I think he feels bad now, and he's promised to come and visit next week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its all in the hips, dont move your hips then your body wont get over.
I was a very good trampolinst in my yoof
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That looks ouch! But it's very rock 'n' roll way of breaking a bone. Mend soon!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@queenie pretty please, Very Happy the words “how hard can it be?” may have been uttered at some point, and I was a beer down, though that probably just lessened the pain.
snow report
@Scarlet, when you're better:

http://youtube.com/v/VzhEiJUEQYc
ski holidays
@Maireadoconnor, we’re not doing it any more. I have learnt from this. I have learnt not to do it again Embarassed
snow conditions
Bad luck but good on ya for having a go! We have a trampoline Park nearby who don't mind me and my girls practicing them into the sponge pit when it's quiet.
I don't think I could get the height on a mat. I'm impressed you got over enough to even sort of land it!
Commiserations but we'll done. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Get well soon. Watch out for RSI in your wrists from the crutches.

Top tip. 2.5 months off crutches and I still can't put my body weight on my right wrist.

Get well soon.
snow report
@Gämsbock, good to know, though I’m hoping that they’re pretty strong from the climbing I’ve been doing. Also, getting into a 2nd floor flat is not to easiest thing, but everything is on the level once I’m up, so hopefully not too much strenuous crutches use. We shall see.
snow report
@Scarlet, you did that landing on a crashmat? Confused Confused Confused Get a bone scan, you're far to young to break bones on an absorption mat. Twists, sprains and dislocations yep, but breaking a major bone is very . . . did I emphasise VERY . . . rare.
As others above have said, in most cases you lead with your hips . . . But be aware that in the terrain park your shoulders take on more of the inception and control of both lateral and off axis rotation with the terrain and velocity as the primary kinetic input.
Gymnastics skills in a half-pipe can be very counterproductive Evil or Very Mad

OOPS Embarassed get well soon lass snowHead
snow conditions
@Masque, This is the first break I've had, ever. I land on that same crash mat over and over every week, often from a much higher drop (top of the wall is about 4m, I think, though I land on my back bottom a lot too). I think I must've landed very awkwardly, it certainly wasn't with any kind of control. The doctors didn't seem too concerned, this is Innsbruck, the accident clinic is probably the busiest part of the hospital!
ski holidays
Wishing you a quick recovery in time for the start of the ski season.

Are you suggesting it should be left to old men?

http://youtube.com/v/mDWhLtG1eDM
snow report
So now we've got the sympathy out of the way, where's the x-ray or better still, video?
snow conditions
@adithorp, good call
ski holidays
What???? @Scarlet, doing something a bit mental? Nahhh don't believe it Happy
latest report
@adithorp, Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the X-ray. TBH it's not much to look at, just a diagonal fracture going top right to bottom left as you look from the front, at the bottom of the fib. N's collarbone, which he bust into 5+ pieces, was much more impressive.

No video of me, but there was one of Lucas. I'll see if I can get hold of it.
latest report
Take extreme care during the repair process of the next 1 to 24 months.

Do not rush back to the hill.

Eat and drink healthily. Vitamins, etc.

Broken ankles always give skiers problems in later life. Poor balance, arthritis, etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, Hmmm, sounds all very convenient ...but then I've not got over missing seeing you go through that fence/net.
latest report
@adithorp, I don't know what you're on about, that sounds like a really daft thing to do Embarassed
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@adithorp, ...that sounds like a really daft thing to do Embarassed

I know. I was right behind you and then I wasn't and missed the action. I'll pay more attention in future; Hopefully the not too distant future.
snow report
The one time in life I wished I'd been running a GoPro.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, oh, not the time I double ejected over that hole you found, then?
snow conditions
Ah you have a point. Would also evidence me shouting "Hole!" and pointing at it plus everyone else skiing round it perfectly well.
snow conditions
Anyone got any pro tips for carrying stuff around? I struggle to hold anything bigger than a phone with the crutches. F'rinstance, I can go and make myself a drink, but I can't then transport it to the sofa. Yes, there is a bloke here who can help with this stuff, but I don't like to ask every time Confused He's left a big jug of water on the table so at least I can top that up, but otherwise I feel like I need a bomb-disposal robot to drive round the flat and fetch stuff carefully...
ski holidays
@Scarlet, bag across your body for general carrying. Man makes a flask of coffee and leaves it near you. Or you maje it in a flask and carry it in said bag
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Yeah, I thought about a bag for small stuff. But I'm a tea and Nespresso drinker, so the flask won't really work for me although it's a good idea. At least it's warm so I don't need too many hot drinks.

I've invented a new version of curling that involves a washing basket and a crutch. The aim is to get it as close to the washing machine as possible Laughing
ski holidays
@Scarlet, also if you have a sig bottle you can fill that up and carry it by hooking your finger into it.
latest report
@Scarlet, when on crutches last summer I bought a plastic mug with a clip on lid (made by Sistema).
I then found that the lid fitted snugly over one of my proper tea mugs. Much better, as it doesn’t quite taste the same out of plastic.
snow report
@Scarlet, Tommy Tippee for your tea and a mobility scooter for going out to the shops.....could do donuts outside the golden roof in the snow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy