Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbühel ... In World Cup Week .. Worth it, or Write Off?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So ... I can only do the third week of January for this year's ski trip, and we had planned to go to Kitzbühel.

However, I just checked the ski calendar and the Friday and Saturday of that week are the Super G and Downhill on the Street. I'm presuming that this also means that it will be closed for practice for at least some of the week and that the resort will be a lot busier than usual.

Anyone been during this week able to give an idea of just how disruptive it's likely to be? i.e. will actual skiing be a write off due to crowds and closed pistes .... Or will it actually be fine with the added bonus of being able to watch some of the events?

Cheers for any input
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in kitzbuhel this January for the race and it was brilliant. The atmosphere and buzz was awesome. On the day of the downhill I skied and it was quite empty as I think most people went to watch. You can pick a spot at various parts of the course and watch but blink and you miss them 😀. I will add though that I had a car and went to the fleckalmbahn to upload so avoided the hahnenkahm lift area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied at Kitzbühel on the Saturday of race day last year. I had simply not noticed the race was on before setting out (I would have gone elsewhere if I had realised). However it proved to be a good decision as the weather was perfect and the pistes uncrowded. I rarely ski the the race course anyway as there are better areas elsewhere. Unless you have a good reason to stay in Kitzbühel itself you might be better off in Kirchberg as this would avoid any piste closures (which only really affect the Streif piste itself) and the crowds around the Hahnenkamm lift station and finish area. Even if you stay in Kitzbühel itself it is easy enough to get one of the buses around to the Fleckalmbahn or Kirchberg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
World Cup weekend is a great time to be in a ski resort. Most people are there for the race and therefore not skiing - quiet pistes and a great atmosphere in town.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The top of run 26 Kaiser is closed off on one side only for race training. I would say though that that's usually only the days leading up to the race itself and it would normally be fully open on the Saturday. I agree with Munich Irish, Kirchberg is much better location over race weekend, as you can catch the free train directly to the bottom of the race, and back again afterwards. Even hours after the race, and having enjoyed a few Stiegels in the town first.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for the replies ... it actually sounds like this could be a go-er, and a damn fine experience to boot. I'm off to investigate accommodation options and prices.

Cheers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Havent done Kitzbühel over race weekend but have been to Schladming when the night race is on and would really recommend it. The atmosphere and buzz around the town is amazing and the slopes don't seem to be any busier than normal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went 2 years ago. Great week to go, the slopes were quite. It's brilliant watching the jumps and speed of them. If I was going again I wud base myself in kirchberg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great week / weekend to go. my wife and i were there this year and we skied on the saturday and then went to the races on the Sunday.

My recommendation is stay in Kirchberg over the otherwise of the hill and just use the train of the gondolas to get over and back. it will be a lot cheaper and the public transport stays on late.
Particular highlight is the street party on the Saturday night....its a massive well run street festival and its totally free.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy