Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kneebindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On request.

I bought kneebindings from the Piste Office in 2015. The specific ones I have are kneebindings Mist (http://www.kneebinding.com/kb-women.aspx).

I had skied in my skis for 1 week, before getting them fitted. So not that long and was 10months later to ski on them again. They didn’t feel noticeably different from skiing with the rail bindings that came with my ski, however with that sort of gap it would need to be extremely marked to have noticed a difference.

They are more heavy than the rail bindings that I have with my original skis (and those coming with my knee skis). Which I am paying Spyderjon to take off and put the kneebindings on.

You are also a bit higher on the skis compared to the standard bindings, and when I first got them I found them hard to put in (had to subtly change my technique).

I have done one fall where I tested the sideways heel release... know would I have done serious damage in that fall, who knows!

Given the state my knees are in (more from hockey than skiing though the original ACL rupture was a stupid skiing fall). Anything I can do to protect from further injury is worth it. It’s costing me another £45 to get the bindings mounted onto my new skis but decided there is also the confidence factor by having them I feel a bit safer, by feeling safer I ski better. If I am feeling nervous and worried I know I ski 100 times worse.

Happy to answer any questions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, saw the other thread wanted to echo on what @NickyJ said above. I'm also using Kneebindings.

My reasoning history; I started Skiing March 2015 and unfortunately I went over on the 5th day of that first holiday and partially ruptured my left leg MCL and ACL. Didn't put me off so after 6 months rehab off to the snowdome to see if I still liked it, I did. Ended up buying some skis from a local shop, used them in Jan & Mar 16 and didn't like them much so I sold those and bought some Latigos (now selling snowHead snowHead ) from @spyderjon. Whilst waiting for the Latigo's I was reading on here about KB's, chatted to Jon and decided why not.

My thoughts were exactly as @NickyJ said, spend the extra money gain extra comfort. The issue is you haven't really a clue when you go over if the side release is what saved you when you fall, too busy hitting the ground.

This year I bought some Brahma's so I asked Jon to fit Quiver Killers and it was easy then to migrate the KB's over to the Brahma's when they arrived. This was an easy call as the Brahma's were a flat ski needing a binding. I have some secondhand Magnum's I use in the snowdome and I won't put KB's on these. If I was buying a new set of skis for the snowdome, I likely wouldn't bother. If I was for the mountains, I would.

So far I've had 4 falls whilst using the Kneebindings:
Snowdome, going quite slow, didn't release
Meribel, going quite slow, didn't release
Meribel, normal slow/moderate cruise, tripped over my pole (don't ask), released well probably sideways
Les Arcs, Face-planted my first time off (ish) piste, released well but likely upwards

For the slow falls I don't think anything would have released. I now use a slightly (0.5) lower setting in the snowdome but that's on my rail based skis anyhow.

I find them very hard to get into, you really have to commit but once in they feel very connected. The difference in height compared to my rail bindings is a little off putting for the first minutes but don't notice after that, I'm not good enough to be affected by it. They are heavier but feel solidly constructed.

So my view stays the same, if you can afford the cost of the bindings (easy call if buying a flat ski) why not do it. If they perform the release, like suggested, its only got to be a good thing. Add to them Quiver Killers and then you cam easily move them between skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got any photos of them?

My knees are knackered with crepitus,so I'd be interested to know if they help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The point of the kneebindings is to allow a lateral heal release with the aim of preventing an ACL injury (i have half my reconstructed ACL left), as opposed to assisting with a knee injury which is where the ski mojo comes in
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you got the heel release set at a different DIN? The skis I bought on eBay came with Kneebindibgs and I’ve actually dropped the release setting on the lateral a bit. Although not had that many falls/releases since I got them
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, just checked mine and they're all set to the same value.

@HoneyBunny, my reasoning is the same as @NickyJ they're not going to help with my existing ACL injury but might help stop it happening again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had kneebindings for seven or so years now, with probably twenty plus weeks on them. I just saw them on sale and thought they looked solidly built and lateral release mechanism was interesting. I'm maybe not the typical customer as never had more than a minor knee tweak in the past.

Now own two pairs. The new ones (still about 3 years old) are much easier to clip in than the originals, although still require significantly more force (and technique) than most standard bindings I've tried. Once clipped in they feel bulletproof, much more solid than rentals I've been on.

Originally had them mounted conventionally by Spyderjon, but I later drilled skis for inserts so I could move between skis and fit more pairs in the ski bag.

I've had very few releases, maximum 10, and only one which I'd classify as a prerelease. That was, I think, fault of the lateral release (or possibly toe) during an admittedly far far too fast bumpy traverse down to bar at end of day

Regarding DIN, you're supposed to set DIN same on all release axes. For no good reason I used to have lateral 0.5 lower than others, maybe cause I just wanted to try it out, but since the prerelease they are the same all round.

Can't say they've ever saved my knee, but who knows. One problem with owning them is you can be rather reliant them - I now feel a little uneasy on rental skis knowing I haven't got this extra safety feature. A bit like that feeling you get driving without a seatbelt.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Can't say they've ever saved my knee, but who knows. One problem with owning them is you can be rather reliant them - I now feel a little uneasy on rental skis knowing I haven't got this extra safety feature. A bit like that feeling you get driving without a seatbelt.

This is the whole problem...how would you know? I guess maybe you could assume if the lateral release comes into play, then on conventional bindings you may have got injured?

I can imagine I'd think exactly the same if I owned some and then didn't use them...even knowing they exist occasionally I think what if I fell and hadn't bought them when I should have, ha, hows that for paranoia Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HoneyBunny wrote:
Got any photos of them?

My knees are knackered with crepitus,so I'd be interested to know if they help.

Nobody has given you any photos, what angle / specifics are you after? The link I provided above shows a photo of them.

Mine are currently in a box as we have reinstated my skis original bindings and when we get over to the Piste Office they will be fitted to my new skis. So can give photos of particular bits if that is of interest.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy