Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hochgurgl vs Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Which resort is better to stay at? We have 3 skiers in our group and 1 non-skier. How much more is there to do in Obergurgl than Hochgurgl for non-skiers? Which has the better hotels?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been there last december, the domain was good for skiing coupled with Solden. We were in Obergurgl at hotel Austria, which shares a good underground pool and sauna with its twin hotel Regina. Amazing half board dinners.It is located on a hill closer to the pistes, almost ski in and out.
Hochgurgl is perfect for ski in ski out. Good cable car and pistes. Check the ski map. Still I can't imagine what the non skier will do in this area. Check the wifi and the opening hours of the pool and sauna, bring books and a big tablet.
Even in Obergurgl there is nothing to do for a non skier. It's a small place where most hotels go half board and you have a pizza bar etc. There isn't even a pharmacy in the whole village.
Regarding non skiers, there is a good recent discussion here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139497
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
drporat wrote:
Been there last december, the domain was good for skiing coupled with Solden. We were in Obergurgl at hotel Austria, which shares a good underground pool and sauna with its twin hotel Regina. Amazing half board dinners.It is located on a hill closer to the pistes, almost ski in and out.
Hochgurgl is perfect for ski in ski out. Good cable car and pistes. Check the ski map. Still I can't imagine what the non skier will do in this area. Check the wifi and the opening hours of the pool and sauna, bring books and a big tablet.
Even in Obergurgl there is nothing to do for a non skier. It's a small place where most hotels go half board and you have a pizza bar etc. There isn't even a pharmacy in the whole village.
Regarding non skiers, there is a good recent discussion here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139497

How is Solden? I heard it was ugly, how true is that? As far as the non-skier is concerned, she is an elderly woman, so we are looking for a very pretty, snow-sure village (we are due for early-mid December) which is nice for walks, and has great Wellness hotels for her while not sacrificing snow or skiing for the skiers.

Ideally we'd be looking at Arosa, Lech, Alta Badia, or Saalbach, but due to the current weather and forecasts it seems that we need to be heading high. What resorts do you suggests?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solden was amazing in mid-Dec. Initially we chose Obergurgl through Crystal due to your considerations.
In our first 2 days we skied Obergurgl but didn't enjoyed it due to extensive whiteout and boring pistes with bad posting, then every morning we took the bus to Solden (the ski pass covers both domains and all buses are free, not just the ski bus).
Check Solden's ski map and watch ski videos on youtube, it was a pleasure. I'm returning to Solden in a week (chose a hotel with sauna and open pool on the roof - De Berge). We will only have the glaciers with 30 km, but in mid-Dec the place should be open and way bigger. In the worst case, we'll go to Hochgurgl for one day.
Obergurgl is indeed a snowsure high altitude village and it's quite pretty, but utterly boring.
Solden is a city. Bigger wider and not a chocolate box swiss resort. Been to Zermatt and paid the high prices for the lovely views (The Night Manager TV series made me pick the hotel) but don't think that ski-wise it was justified. When I go skiing I look at the pistes, not the buildings.
I think Solden offers more to do for her, best if you will ask the local agency: soelden@oetztal.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:

How is Solden? I heard it was ugly, how true is that?

No-one is ever going to put it on a postcard and it's nicer away from the main through road but have a roam around on Streetview and see what you think.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.9592338,11.0090536,3a,75y,345.72h,79.65t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipP6OPYuZGq_UUFxd4xpJp2M9KyyywlSfyCZLBnl!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipP6OPYuZGq_UUFxd4xpJp2M9KyyywlSfyCZLBnl%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya333.88416-ro-0-fo100!7i10000!8i5000

Your non-skier won't be restricted to Solden is if she is happy using the regular and frequent buses.

Never been, but the Spa at Langenfeld is supposed to be brilliant
https://www.laengenfeld.com/aquadome-spa-facility-winter

Going in the other direction - there is a great walking/langlauf track from Hochgurgl to Obergurgl. Takes about 20 mins on the bus from Solden to HG, an hours walk and then meet the skiers for lunch, bus back to Solden...

If she's a fairly fit non-skier the hills on the non-slope side above Solden have more walks and lunch-destination pub restaurants.
My favourite is the Stallweis Alm - a hefty walk up but free toboggan most of the way down snowHead
http://www.stallwiesalm.at/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, the funicular "Innerwald" is free - goes up to the Skischool meeting area/some apres ski and is a good place to sit with a beverage of your choice and watch the world go by if you aren't participating. You can walk back down if you wanted to.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.9635759,11.0040615,126m/data=!3m1!1e3

Again, use the little orange person look around.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can you might want to wait a little while before making a decision. I cant see accommodation being a big issue given the current weather, things can change fairly quickly though currently not much sign of that. If you need to decide soon then maybe Zermatt could be a good option, there is currently a lot of snow there. The village also has a reasonable amount of interest for a non skier. I would guess Saas Fee would be similar conditions. I believe a number of the French resorts have OK conditions but generally they are not so good for a non skier.

I am hoping to get a weekend before christmas but not sure it is going to happen as I need somewhere within easy travelling distance of Munich. Ischgl or the Gürgls are possibly going to be the best options but even then not too optimistic. I guess a few more weeks peering at weather charts on the off chance some snow arrives.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hotel Jenwin in oborgurgle... ski to door and has a spa
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
If you can you might want to wait a little while before making a decision. I cant see accommodation being a big issue given the current weather, things can change fairly quickly though currently not much sign of that. If you need to decide soon then maybe Zermatt could be a good option, there is currently a lot of snow there. The village also has a reasonable amount of interest for a non skier. I would guess Saas Fee would be similar conditions. I believe a number of the French resorts have OK conditions but generally they are not so good for a non skier.

I am hoping to get a weekend before christmas but not sure it is going to happen as I need somewhere within easy travelling distance of Munich. Ischgl or the Gürgls are possibly going to be the best options but even then not too optimistic. I guess a few more weeks peering at weather charts on the off chance some snow arrives.

Chances for snow at the end of November are higher than you thank, anyways, I'm able to hold off on booking until the end of November
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
drporat wrote:
Solden was amazing in mid-Dec. Initially we chose Obergurgl through Crystal due to your considerations.
In our first 2 days we skied Obergurgl but didn't enjoyed it due to extensive whiteout and boring pistes with bad posting, then every morning we took the bus to Solden (the ski pass covers both domains and all buses are free, not just the ski bus).
Check Solden's ski map and watch ski videos on youtube, it was a pleasure. I'm returning to Solden in a week (chose a hotel with sauna and open pool on the roof - De Berge). We will only have the glaciers with 30 km, but in mid-Dec the place should be open and way bigger. In the worst case, we'll go to Hochgurgl for one day.
Obergurgl is indeed a snowsure high altitude village and it's quite pretty, but utterly boring.
Solden is a city. Bigger wider and not a chocolate box swiss resort. Been to Zermatt and paid the high prices for the lovely views (The Night Manager TV series made me pick the hotel) but don't think that ski-wise it was justified. When I go skiing I look at the pistes, not the buildings.
I think Solden offers more to do for her, best if you will ask the local agency: soelden@oetztal.com

Thank you for the info, very useful
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scamper wrote:
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:

How is Solden? I heard it was ugly, how true is that?

No-one is ever going to put it on a postcard and it's nicer away from the main through road but have a roam around on Streetview and see what you think.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.9592338,11.0090536,3a,75y,345.72h,79.65t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipP6OPYuZGq_UUFxd4xpJp2M9KyyywlSfyCZLBnl!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipP6OPYuZGq_UUFxd4xpJp2M9KyyywlSfyCZLBnl%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya333.88416-ro-0-fo100!7i10000!8i5000

Your non-skier won't be restricted to Solden is if she is happy using the regular and frequent buses.

Never been, but the Spa at Langenfeld is supposed to be brilliant
https://www.laengenfeld.com/aquadome-spa-facility-winter

Going in the other direction - there is a great walking/langlauf track from Hochgurgl to Obergurgl. Takes about 20 mins on the bus from Solden to HG, an hours walk and then meet the skiers for lunch, bus back to Solden...

If she's a fairly fit non-skier the hills on the non-slope side above Solden have more walks and lunch-destination pub restaurants.
My favourite is the Stallweis Alm - a hefty walk up but free toboggan most of the way down snowHead
http://www.stallwiesalm.at/

Thanks I forgot all about that tool! Soelden isn't too bad but Obergurgl does remind me of Warth
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy