Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone bought anything exciting for this season?

Poster: A snowHead
IMV I think its a bad idea, they will not be as comfortable as the Rulers over a day riding, but if you've tried them both on and like the fit then go with them. Buying gear to hopefully get better and save on upgrading doesn't really work out well most times. The photons could make your day miserable. I know riders that have been on the Rulers for years and love them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah you make a fair point and likely know more about this stuff than I do. I'm new to the sport and have so far tried to buy intermediate gear so that I don't outgrow it quickly, as I do tend to learn relatively quickly if I commit to something (which is why I bought medium flex gear like the Union Force bindings, rather than the Flite pro for example, and a Nidecker Escape, rated at 6-7/10 flex with a not-too-aggressive positive camber, which has suited me well so far).

I have only tried the Ruler wide so far, which fits well. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Photon wide yet - I was obviously going to try it out before committing to it, though I was expecting it to be stiffer (I'm told it's about a 7, compared with the 4-5 of the Rulers). I would have thought the "fit" should be the same the wide options of both boots have the same internal dimensions? But presumably you mean that the Photon's will make life really difficult for me because they're stiff and that will ruin my experience? In which case yeah the Ruler is probably the best option. Will definitely try out the Photon in a shop somewhere, but yeah maybe I should stick with the Ruler. Glad I joined this forum, lots of helpful people here giving me great tips already!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure the moto's are 4/5 and the Rulers are 5/6. My Imperials are 7 so the Photons must be 8+ in flex rating but its not only the flex that counts. Boots vary in shape, size, width and purpose so the fit is as important as what you'll be using them for. No good having the Photons if you'll only be lapping the park or dicking about flatland. They're designed to be ridden aggressively out in the backcountry.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-08-19 22:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep fair point. I'm not really too interested in park/jibbing etc. The only freestyle stuff I'm interested in learning is a few butter turns here and there and some jumps, but mostly I want to work on all-mountain skills - carving on piste and slowly starting to develop backcountry boarding. I'm sure the Ruler will be the perfect boot for all of that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stick with the ruler wide.
If they fit & feel good go for it.

Dont worry about upgrading your boots anytime soon. They will see you a long way.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So I have the Ruler (non-wide) and I upsized in order to make the width work (though I didn't consciously know that's what I was doing at the time, I was a complete beginner without any knowledge!), so I do need to change my boots (from a 13 down to an 11). The only two boots on the market that provide EEE width are the Ruler wide and Photon wide, so yeah, I think you guys have convinced me to just go for the Ruler, and not spend even more money on the Photon Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, Width over length. Otherwise all that room will mean your foot moving around. If your foot can move, then it can twist & turn inside the boot. I have had my foot twist to where it wont twist back (its only a small twist) but the cramp kicks in really quick!
You could also try seeking out Asian Fit.
Cant say I have seen asian fit in the UK though, but they supposedly have a small stretch area at the widest point.

I also have wide feet, but wear step-on's (Burton Photon's). They did not make these in a wide boot & I get a lot of discomfort because of it by having to go up a size. They are doing a wide for the upcoming season, so going to see if I can find a pair to try.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I swore I would never do it... 3 seasons later and I've done it.... Bib Pants. Wouldn't go back now though. They were a godsent in Japan.

https://sameway.co/product/analog-breakneck-bib-2018-snowboard-pants-dull-gold-s/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^+1 I bought some last season. Japan for me too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Treated myself to a new jacket as my 5 year old DC wouldn't last the season for 20/21. Yep preparing early!

https://www.burton.com/gb/en/p/mens-burton-ak-gore%E2%80%91tex-helitack-jacket/W19-149781.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waiting for new stepons to be released. Burton are doing a wide this season snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bought a new C2 TR Pro, first new board in, well ages ....... maybe ride my old 'beginner' SK8 B less .... or will I ....... Cool

Bagged some NOS SPis for pennies, should run well with my just broken in Ions.

Four weeks in BC already booked, probably another two or three weeks out in the Alps once the season cranks up.

Might buy some new socks .......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Honestly I don't need a thing, however, I have not yet been exposed to shop displays of shiny new things which normally does the trick... snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In a moment of online retail weakness I bought this little tool on eBay for £26.

https://www.slopeangel.com/product/slope-angel-halo/

No idea if it's any good, but worth a punt
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just bought a 2019/20 seasonTop4 skipass which went on sale today. It's the first time I've ever bought a season skipass, but as I'm now retired this year I'm aiming to visit the Jungfrau region more often and also to take in the 3 other Swiss ski areas covered by the pass. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Congratulations @Alastair Pink the top 4 is fabulous. Do not over look a visit to Meiringen Haslital. It is a real gem and only takes 35 mins by car from Lauterbrunnen. Hope you have a great time finding new terrain!
snow conditions
@Rogerdodger, yes I intend to, I've skied just one day previously at Meiringen a few years ago and I know there's lots to explore. Smile
latest report
Is anyone interested in buying a pair of brand new, in box, Dragon X2 goggles with a choice of 4 brand new Lumalens lenses? You can choose to take 2, 3 or all 4 lenses depending on your needs/wants.

Frame/strap is this one: https://cdn.skatepro.com/product/440/dragon-x2-ink-lumalens-blue-ion-ski-goggles-u2.jpg

Lenses available:

Green Ion
Purple Ion
Blue Ion
Amber Ion

Mixture of low/mid/high light characteristics to the lenses. Excellent interchange system.

Comes with Dragon hard case, soft carry bag etc.
latest report
@karansaraf, you might want to try the Buy, Sell, Exchange forum Wink
snow report
Just acquired our annual Mont Blanc passes. Always a good feeling snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
I've snagged a brand new, still wrapped, 2016 Head Architect on Ebay for a £140.. Bargain snowboarding Very Happy
snow report
@Robin Agogo, Cracking bargain that......happy days.

I've not bought nowt yet......but still plenty of time to spurn some cash on some new shiny shiny bits!!! Twisted Evil
snow report
@Drew Carey, "yet" being the operative word! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Robin Agogo, Indeed.....I'm off to the Hemel Oktest this Saturday......thinking I may leave my credit card at home!!!! Laughing

Or I may not......maybe time for a new jacket. Shocked
snow report
Down pants. On cold days when low exertion, high speed cruising is called for, its hard to get/stay warm. Not anymore. They fit under my shell just fine. By Rab, $200. Also nice out on the deck at cocktail hour....
latest report
I bought some Boot-Doc custom liners & Remind footbeds.
Was a bit nervous custom fitting the liners in my snowboard boots, but it all went good & the boot kept its shape.
ski holidays
how quickly does remind last it's properties? I have these, after 20+ days they didn't pass the egg test, tried to make a trick at the party in a chalet - didn't work that well Very Happy

http://www.fpinsoles.co.uk/product/footprint-kingfoam-orthotic-dan-brisse/

they are still comfortable, keeping until boots are alive.
snow conditions
Nitro SupraTeam. Probably over 10y old. Gumtree purchase for £20.

Black matt top sheet, gold base with the badass SupraTeam logo.

I cleaned it up and gave it a new edge over summer.

15mm of traditional stiff as hell camber. I'm gonna die!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@earl, I learnt on a 163 one of them on '04! It certainly gave me a penchant for speed Twisted Evil It's still in my loft now
latest report
Have you ridden it in recent years?

I'm standing in mine at the moment with yoga blocks underneath the contact points. Springy but very stiff.
latest report
@earl, Not since 2013 and it's worth nothing but I can't bear to chuck it!
snow report
Just acquired a Stellar shell. Looks good.

It's an expensive year. I also need (!) new Hestras and new boots. Shocked
ski holidays
Finished off my set up this year after starting out 2 years ago as a novice on dry slopes. Burton Instigator 160cm board with Burton Custom bindings.
DC jacket and snow pants, Salomon Launch boa boots, Hestra 3 finger mitts, Smith Vantage mips helmet and Smith IO/X goggles & Stance socks.
La Plagne 21st December here we come!
snow report
Otrovox Peak 45 £121, my second ever backpack since i bought tnf 50 PROPHET when i was a student 15 years ago!
ski holidays
Unlimited Mont blanc season pass and a winter tyre set! Still can't believe I'm doing a season
ski holidays
I've just got myself a brand new SportTube for transporting my skis thanks to those awfully nice people at Fall-Line magazine who chose my letter to them as this month's winner of their £100 worth Ski Bartlett voucher, together with the equally nice people at Ski Bartlett who reduced the SportTube from their normal price of £129.99 to £110.46 in their Black Friday sale, meaning that I only had to spend just over a tenner. Madeye-Smiley

snow report
Yesterday walked out of Ellis Brigham in Cas with a Ride TwinPig and some Burton Malavita bindings, looking forward to shredding on these in few weeks. Decided to hang up my 10 years old Custom FlyingV.

Still taking my Custom and old bindings with me in case I don’t get on with the new board, especially with trying out asymmetric sidecut.
ski holidays
MikeyK wrote:
Yesterday walked out of Ellis Brigham in Cas with a Ride TwinPig and some Burton Malavita bindings, looking forward to shredding on these in few weeks. Decided to hang up my 10 years old Custom FlyingV.

Still taking my Custom and old bindings with me in case I don’t get on with the new board, especially with trying out asymmetric sidecut.

Solid choice Cool

Myself decided to put in some life in an old pair of boots, because heel hold is questionable, otherwice they are comfy and solid, so ordered a thick 3M EVA sheet, will make DYI J bars, not see them being worth 20$ + shipping for what they are (just a piece of EVA).
snow conditions
Bargain pair of Scott the Ski's, still searching for a cheap pair of Scott Voodoo and Rottefella Free rides!

If normal prices will not be a bargain upgrade!!
snow conditions
Bought a pair of snow boots called Xnowmate (v1 discounted on SportPursuit, they are up to v3) as they are compact/collapsable and came with their own shoulder bag (now a backpack) so can be worn to where you put on your ski boots then easily carried with you to when you want to change back into comfy shoes and save your ski boot soles.

I bought the ankle version and was a bit dubious as they were quite thin all around. But they did the job. Not the grippiest but were fine and never felt cold or got wet when trudging thru slush. Quite impressed and a good buy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy