Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend break from Zurich, Flims/Laax or Engleberg?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For a mid-January break. We're flying into Zurich Friday evening, back on Sunday night. Realistically need no more than a 1:30 - 2hr drive to get 2 full days of skiing in.
I'm looking at Flims/Laax and Engelberg. Are there others?
It's a Dads and lads trip, all experienced skiers, some liveliness in the evening would be good but not essential, it's mainly the skiing we're interested in.

Any advice from the Snowheads fount of knowledge gratefully received. Thanks in Advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Engelberg has great lift served off piste terrain and among the highest average snowfall in Europe but it is busy and the on piste terrain is comparatively limited. Unless you are specifically after off piste then I would pick Flims. Engelberg faces North whereas Flims faces predominantly South, and while I would normally see a southern aspect as a major drawback, in mid January it could easily make for a much more enjoyable weekend without adversely affecting the snow
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andermatt is an alternative to Engelberg that may be less busy and also has fantastic terrain
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rambotion, Good tips, cheers. Should've said that will likely be spending most of our time on-piste, though I know the 2 teens would prefer otherwise. wink
I've also been coming across some reviews of long non-ski related tourist queues at the lifts which is putting me off a bit.

@BobinCH, will look into that, thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Arlberg and other Vorarlberg resorts such as the Montafon are within 2 hours drive of Zürich
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1. St Anton.
2. Davos.
3. Andermatt.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you will find Engelberg too limited for on piste. Another one to consider is Lenzerheide/Arosa. Easy drive from Zurich, a lots of terrain and a great lift system.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did a trip to Laax last year, out on Friday night, back in Sunday night, all by public transport. It was easy. I think it’s a good choice for what you’re after. Doubly so if your teens are interested in park stuff; Laax is famous for that. You’ve a decent chance of witnessing some seriously good tricks if your trip happens to coincide with some form of competition.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Engelberg wrote:
I think you will find Engelberg too limited for on piste. Another one to consider is Lenzerheide/Arosa. Easy drive from Zurich, a lots of terrain and a great lift system.

Arosa is my favourite place but I wouldn't drive there in mid-January; the road up from Chur is long and winding and sometimes closed. The train is much better. Lenzerheide is an easier drive.

Engelberg is my favourite resort for a short trip/weekend. The only drawback at weekends is the horrendous queuing at the Titlis lift on a Saturday morning.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for the advice, great suggestions as always and food for thought. Engelberg sounded good to start with but has a few drawbacks that counter the proximity/ease of access. Another time maybe. Don't really fancy going into Austria, St Anton, etc, always a risk the further you push it on a weekend and the tunnel can be a nightmare. Narrowed it down to Flims/Laax or Davos/Klosters but I suspect the decider will be accommodation. I am very surprised how fully booked up most places are, skiing industry is in rude health it would seem!

P.S. @Engelberg, welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old post but in case it helps, some other ideas in CH:
Flumserberg is the nearest big area from Zurich, accessed by taking the train to Unterterzen and cable car from there.
Meringen/Hasliberg is another in striking distance from Zurich, not actually been there yet.
Andermatt was last weekend being connected via Oberalpass to the Sedrun ski area, making it now a much bigger piste area. They were putting up the new cable car and testing it out on Sunday, so assume up and running soon.

Austria is THE place for apres ski and food/drinks would be much cheaper than Switzerland. More options by public transport in CH though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy