Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech ski depot

Poster: A snowHead
Am off to Lech with my daughters and non skiing wife (staying at the Elisabeth with Total) in December - fingers crossed for the snow.

Intersport is by far the cheapest ski hire shop it seems - I hire skis, all children's kit is free. But it's at the other end of town... Some days we'll ski together in Lech, sometimes they'll go to ski school and I'll ski Warth/Zurs.

Are there any ski depots in the centre of Lech to avoid taking the skis back to the hotel in the evenings?

I've always had fantastic local accurate advice from snowheads in the past so thank you for your support and assistance.

Jon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The 'other end of town' is hardly a problem. It's in the middle of town. Probably 7-10 minutes walk from the Elizabeth. You would benefit from being in the centre at apres ski time talking skis back to the shop as well, especially as you will almost certainly end your day around there. Its literally over the road from the ski school meeting place.
The Elizabeth was a great hotel when it was family run, I hope Total have kept it that way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Man Of Lech, think you are mistaken. The intersport shop (new since last year) is near the Schlosskopfbahn
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AHH. Used to be nearer the centre. Thanks for the heads up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@trolleyed,
We use this place in the centre of Lech-
http://www.sportalp.at/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Cas - seems a central place - strange website with not much information on it. Do you remember the depot price for a week? Were there other options that you looked at.
Thank you
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@trolleyed, Sportalp is not a depot, it's a skirental with depot for clients wink
They are very good though, and in the best location next to Schlegelkopf. But at normal Lech-prices...
Don't know of any other depots in central Lech. There might be one in the basement of the Rüfikopfbahn, but not sure.
(there is a depot at the Schlosskopfbahn, but this is not usefull for you, being at the other far end of town, near the Intersport actually. The Intersport is new since last season. Before that the Lech-kartell was allmighty wink)
Think you need to get in touch with your hotel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is ski/boot storage at the central Strolz rental stores.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@trolleyed, We hire (mid range) skis and store them (along with our boots) there, weekly cost circa 130 euros for the week. Nothing cheaper, I’m afraid.
This service is also available at Strolz hire (costly) or as mentioned, the new Intersport which is not really central to town so I would not advise as a depot base.
From on your OP................you seek SportAlp.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you
I might be being thick but I didn't understand "From on your OP................you seek SportAlp."
Cheers
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@trolleyed, Minor point but why not take them back to your hotel daily? It's very central anyway so no big hassle is it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apologies for not being clearer, @trolleyed, Posting past my bedtime is not a good idea Very Happy
What I meant to say is that from your initial question asking for hire and subsequent storage, SportAlp is your best option for central location. However, I don't know about charges for kids hire.
We normally book direct with Hotels/Pensions so not sure on the exact location of the Elizabeth. I have checked the Ski Total website and it would appear to in the Omesberg area. A good spot and Lech is not huge- but the Intersport is at the other end to you and would be fine for hire only.
As @Markymark29, suggested you could hire at Intersport and take them back daily (approx. 7 mins walk) and occasionally use the vending clamps that are dotted around the Schlegelkopf and Rufikopf lifts in the centre. This will probably be the least expensive option.
Otherwise, SportAlp would be the most convenient/secure option but I suspect they charge for Kids equipment- perhaps drop them an email and ask.
Your third option is, of course, Strolz......£££££. Great for a mooch around though.
Enjoy Lech! We stumbled into Lech over 12 years ago and have not skied anywhere else since! snowHead
and I'm sure the snow will be fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth is located behind Gasthof Post, slightly elevated, near the Hotels Lech and Theodul, near village-entrance.
It is definitely very walkable, but maybe a bit of a hassle with young kids and ski's
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, this is just over the road from where I had in mind, so the options remain the same. Depending on whether cost or convenience is more important to you factoring in kids, wife, apres and shopping.

@Langerzug, I wanted to thank you for the restaurant Alpenblick recommendation last year! Well worth the evening trip to Zug.
.....Sorry to derail........
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all for the very valuable advice especially about the available of vending clamps - these can be very useful but not often advertised anywhere. Walking with kids and skis and boots isn't pleasant sometimes so good to know the options!

I'll be looking up the Alpenblick now too!
snow conditions
@Cas, you're welcome, good to hear you liked Alpenblick too. We always go twice during our holiday Very Happy
snow report
@trolleyed, You are very welcome and thank you for putting Lech right back into my head -reminding me I need to finalise details for our upcoming trip for New Year Very Happy
For further reading, I can recommend using the search function on this forum. Search for "Lech" in thread title and it will bring up lots of insight for your upcoming trip- most of the good info comes from Langerzug, he is a fountain of Lech knowledge!
Also, if you have not done so already, do check out the tourist office website - https://www.lechzuers.com/ good for restaurants, events and of course, webcams.

@Langerzug, Yes, we had such a nice meal (I particularly remember the snails and veal sweetbreads) we went back the same week! If you are around for Sylvester, drop me a PM and I will buy you a beer or two.

....How about that? a Lech thread with no "Lech Drama" Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

snails and veal sweetbreads

Shocked
snow report
Laughing
.....Dat's some seriously good eating right there!

When you have both (a) loved skiing and (b) hated cheese for all your life, you have to get adventurous!

@Markymark29, You are a regular to this neck of the woods and snails are on quite a few menus- give 'em a try. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Cas, Thanks, you make me blush Embarassed
Thanks for the invitation, but sorry, no Silvester. We are considering a short pre-christmas trip, but are leaving that until last minute...
We'll be back for sure early March.
Alpenblick is a gem. Traditional Austrian unpretentious atmosphere, yet with style.
Mr. Zimmerman used to be a F1 cook! But he is also one of the shareholders of the Skilifte Lech. You might easily underestimate him Very Happy
My favorite: Veal with morels and rice!
snow conditions
@Langerzug, yes, I was aware of K-H Zimmerman’s past in F1 catering and have always been curious as to the connection between Lech and F1 chefs. J Walch of the Rote Wand is another one with a F1 background, we talked with him a few years back at the Schualhus and he has a very interesting past with the BMW team. Also, I often meet a couple of Ex- Honda chefs out for late night drinks at the Tannbergerhof bar. Lech seems to be both a breeding and retirement ground for F1 catering!

We usually return late March/early April (wife’s birthday) but due to the dark cloud of Brexit have not booked anything yet. If we do go a few weeks earlier, I will drop you a PM.
snow report
@trolleyed, I have left my own skis at sportalp overnight for a week rather than lugging back to hotel. It was Feb 17 and they charged 2E per night per set of skis
snow conditions
@mogulmonkey that's really useful to know - it's a pretty convenient location!
latest report
Cas wrote:
@trolleyed,

@Langerzug, Yes, we had such a nice meal (I particularly remember the snails and veal sweetbreads) we went back the same week! If you are around for Sylvester, drop me a PM and I will buy you a beer or two.

....How about that? a Lech thread with no "Lech Drama" Very Happy

@Cas, @Langerzug, which restaurant serves sweetbread?.....we love sweetbread!! was it deep-fried?
snow conditions
@trolleyed, have you been yet? and which ski hire shop did you use in the end? we are going this weekend.
ski holidays
@Snowy123,
This restaurant is called Alpenblick, it is in the hamlet of Zug. We and the "Langerzug posse" like it.
It is good for lunch, if you are doing the White ring circuit- it is at the bottom of the Madloch run.
Superb for dinner (Book in advance, Hotel will do this for you) You will need to get last bus to Zug from Lech (7.30pm) and then a taxi back later. Well worth it for genuinely good Austrian cuisine.
The Sweetbreads were, I believe, shallow fried in breadcrumbs and served on a bed of wilted spinach.
Great stuff in my opinion.
Though,to be honest, I have not had a bad meal in the whole area.
Enjoy your trip - Snow looks awesome!
latest report
Snowy123 wrote:
@trolleyed, have you been yet? and which ski hire shop did you use in the end? we are going this weekend.

I've rented from Intersport as it was the most reasonably priced. Enjoy your trip.
snow conditions
@Cas, Thank you!

"Shallow fried in breadcrumbs and served on a bed of wilted spinach" sounds absolutely lovely!! Will have no choice but give the White ring circuit a go! I hope no black runs in the white ring circuit?! I can get nervous if condition is not perfect! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@trolleyed, thank you. Intersport is only 2 minutes from our hotel. So perfect for us. How was the Elizabeth? Saw some good deals with Ski total a couple of weeks ago and would have gone with them have we not booked flights already.
latest report
@Snowy123,
Ok, the Madloch run is really one long red with steeper sections at the bottom. On less than perfect days it can be tough for nervous intermediates.
To give a better idea, here is one of many youtube videos of the run. If the link doesn't work, copy direct into your browser bar. (Awful music alert!)

http://youtube.com/v/kEgiDVQKZkc

The other thought is you may have a white-out day or don't want to ski for other reasons, in which case I would recommend a walk to Zug for lunch.
Follow the signposted route along the river (Start at Hus. No. Cool from Lech. It takes around 40 minutes and is quite flat and very pretty. Even better if it is snowing- real winter wonderland!
You can then either walk back or take the free bus.
Happy days! snowHead
latest report
Edit: That is meant to be Hus.No.8 (restaurant) from Lech
latest report
@Cas, thanks for the video. it is one long run and there are a few bits I might struggle esp if condition is not perfect. Let me pray for a blue sky day so that I can go and eat sweetbread!
snow conditions
Snowy123 wrote:
@Cas, thanks for the video. it is one long run and there are a few bits I might struggle esp if condition is not perfect. Let me pray for a blue sky day so that I can go and eat sweetbread!

Try to do it first thing in the morning. On fresh groomers, and no crowds, it is not much more than a blue run. By late morning, the 2 pitches near the end that are prone to ice will be ice. Add a bunch of people flying through, and it will feel more like a black.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, good tip, thanks. It's amazing how the same run can be so diff in the morning and in the afternoon.
ski holidays
@Snowy123, I'm going this weekend too - snow looks good so we should have a great time.
ski holidays
@trolleyed, Fingers crossed! Have a great time!
latest report
Sorry to be a bit of a spoiler but some real info is needed here:
*Madloch first thing in the morning, whilst staying in Lech...???
*Apart from the above: Madloch is not open yet, as so often in pre-season. And even Christmas...Madloch needs a lot of snow.
*Restaurant Alpenblick is not beside the piste, but in the village of Zug. You need to walk and climb quite a bit. And know where to go.
snow report
@Langerzug, thanks for the info. May be I will make it to Alphenblick another year. Am sure there are plenty of good restaurants to choose from.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Sorry to be a bit of a spoiler but some real info is needed here:
*Madloch first thing in the morning, whilst staying in Lech...???

You do not know about the free (Blue) bus that will get you to Zürs early??? I thought you were a regular in the Arlberg. Sorry, my mistake.
ski holidays
Just arrived in Lech this evening. It was pitch black when I got here but just judging by the road and the snow at the side of the road I think I'm going to have a pretty good week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy