Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footwear For Lapland ??

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Levi-Lapland over Xmas,doing the normal sledging ,snowmobiles ,husky rides, walking round the village etc
When i go on skiing trips i normal just wear my walking boots with normal or thick socks and was going to do the same this time.
My wife and daughter are in a bit of a panic what to wear on their feet, they've both got got Ugg boots , timberland boots and my wife also has walking boots as well.
But are they both looking at buying snow boots etc ,I dont want them wasting their money on footwear thats not necessary or fit for purposes as this will be the only time they will wear it.
What do you guys wear ??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do they wear on a wet or snowy winter day in the UK?

I’m not sure the Ugg boots will work, as they usually look pretty soggy when people wear them in the rain. But I’m with you on not buying special footwear. If they really do need to get something new, consider what would actually be useful at home in winter. Maybe leather riding boot style or fleece lined ankle boots?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timberlands work, so long as you're not going to wade through snow which is deeper than the boots. For deeper snow Canadians use Sorrels, but I've never seen them in Finland so probably not.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you’re going on an organised trip they include snow boots in the clothes you hire. My husband and son wore them and they were fine. I wore my own snow boots just because I so rarely get to! It’s really cold, especially if you’re snowmobiling etc so the suits are invaluable (although it feels a bit surreal all being dressed the same!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wasley, Ugg is the ultimate marketing campaign. They're house shoes (slippers) and were not originally intended to be worn outside.

Get yourself some Sorrel boots or similar.

A former colleague's daughter went with warm UK boots on a ski trip and get frostbite, lost the sensation in some of her toes and had to go on the odd trip to hospital on return.

Get the right gear for the conditions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have sorrels & didnt like them as they are not stiff enough for me.
So I bought a pair of Ugg Butte (or something like that) - a proper boot, not some sheepskin caveman footwear
Fully fur lined including a fur footbed. Keeps my feet toasty warm. Not sure if I would want to do a ton of walking in them though as I think they could get to hot. But ideal for standing around watching Saturday football in the biting cold.
Theres also a womans version available

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 2-11-18 8:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Think you and your wife will be fine in walking boots, good socks etc. I have some Salomon winter boots https://www.rei.com/product/772105/salomon-snowtrip-ts-waterproof-winter-boots-mens but I rarely wear them as they are too hot. Only get them out on the most bitter of Swedish winter days if I’m going to be outside.

Might be worth thinking about your daughter, and children can feel the cold more. We had friends that went on a snowmobile tour, and it was so cold that the kids were just crying the whole time. We used to always get my son Sorrel winter boots, but now we just get anything waterproof and warm looking.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decathlon have some reasonably priced winter boots, fur lined, chunky grip etc which might be worth looking at. I think they're about £30/£40.

One of our party bought them last season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been to Lapland 4 times over Christmas or New year. Don't underestimate how cold it is. I admit I feel the cold ( finally caved and bought heated ski boots in Lapland) but ugg boots won't be enough. I have some snow boots that I have worn but now wear snow board boots and they really do the job. My 8 year old has worn his snow board boots the last twice and not complained at all about the cold. Have a great trip, we love Lapland and are back over Christmas this year
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like my Sorel boots bu they are expensive. If you live in the country go to a Farmer's store and buy insulated yard boots for about £30.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are going to go on organised trips they will provide, often insist that you wear, their own clothing and boots.
Sorrel or Kamik are decent cold weather boots, rated to -40. Or British or German extreme cold weather / arctic boots (vibram sole ideally) - see EBay for all of these. Good quality insulated and waterproofed UK hill walking or mountaineering boots will also do well. Fashion boots are fashion boots, full stop.
If you plan to do your own walks outside, sit by lakes northern light spotting, taking photos etc, then you will need not only proper, very warm boots but appropriate socks. Many say thick fishermen's socks are best, possibly 2 layers - so buy your boots big. I wear arctic boots + silk socks plus 2 sets thick wool socks. You will also need some seriously warm jackets and trousers, scarves, hats, mittens, silk gloves, many thermal layers etc etc.
However, just walking around 'resort' (usually pretty compact) you'll be OK in whatever you wear in snow in the UK or other ski holidays; the roads and pavements are well snow-packed, not our British slush, and you won't be out or standing still long enough to get cold.
Have a lovely time. I'm back out a few weeks later too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have been to Ruka in January quite a few times and it can be really cold, normally -10 to -30 is normal when we go, but we have had it as cold as -36 before. Normal boots with full socks probably wont be enough in all honesty, I normally take two pairs of good snowboots with me. I would also recomend some mittens as opposed to gloves and you will want some warm snowpants and a balakla. If you do any of the organised trips, take their mittens and clothing as they will keep you warm. I did ice karting the first year and kept my own gloves on, with the speed against the cold, I don't think I have ever felt so cold, especially my fingers. It's a similar thing with the Husky trips.

We quite like the cold out there, it's a bit strange at first when its under -18 or so as your nostrils and eyelashes freeze up, but you soon get used to it. It's a different cold out there with less moisture in the air, but if the wind picks up with the cold temps it really becomes horrible, especially if you are not dressed for it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could try one of thise?

https://winterboots.com/extreme-cold-boots-148-f-to-20-f/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We went to lapland (levi) over new year.

I had North Face S4K glacier boots. The absolute bomb!

Wife had Sorel Joan of Arcs but said they were so cold, luckily had some high ankle fleece lined Salomon snow boots, they were brilliant.

Little one had Sorel snow boots and with a thick pair of socks didn't complain once

Take a few disposable full length (for adults) and toe (for kids) foot warmers and don't forget hand warmers.

And onto hands take mitts.

Me and the wife had black diamond mercury mitts. With icebreaker liners they were fantastic

Little one had hestra mitts with liners, again brilliant.

You can hire out there and in Levi the hire kit (suits, boots) were excellent quality. I used it snow mobiling, and initially thought it looked a bit thin but with a good layering system of your own I was never cold.

The coldest thing you will find is Huskies and skiing. With skiing luckily there are huts with fires going all over the slopes to go in to warm up.

Reindeer is slow (ish) and in the forest, your covered in rugs and can hunker down.

Snowmobiling - the snowmobile puts out enough heat (engine, exhaust and heated handle bars) to keep you warm

Skiing toes can suffer and on the top if the wind gets up you'll find your goggles and nose freeze. One about goggles, if your going over new year get some clear goggles - it's dark all the time so I got some Oakley motorcross goggles with a clear lense - they have the same frame shape as ski goggles so are helmet compatible and with no tint you have perfect visibility - only £35 a pair! https://www.oakley.com/en-gb//product/WGOO7008?variant=700285012476&cid=IP-FGS_181016-UK_PLA_Goggles_Goggles_PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo9OTlP-33gIVx_hRCh1FbgOHEAkYASABEgJbVvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Without doubt the coldest time you'll have is on the Huskies. You go out on the lake and those little bugs shift. I was stood on the back and 3km ish into a 10km trail my eye lashes were freezing together!! No joke your eyeballs will freeze Happy - the lakes are extremely cold, there can be a brisk wind and at speed it makes it worse. You will need ever later you have, and if you can wear your suitcase too Happy

As for fear of length of walking boots, the depth of snow is fine if you keep to the track, go off and expect to be arm pit deep in snow. No joke. Wife got he snowmobile stuck going off track, I jumped off to help push and the handle bars were above my head - I had to swim out Happy Happy

On a huge plus you will have an absolutely amazing time. By far my favourite family holiday. Time stands still with the lack of daylight and as adults we get to be kids again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and PS if you need any other info about Levi PM me, it can be a bit sketchy finding info.

At night get you sledge out and head to the slopes. There is a little sledging slope for the kids, but if your ready to man up, they let you walk up the main slope (red run) and sledge down it Happy I've never laughed so much (laughed to hide the fear!!) They kick you off at midnight when the come to piste it.

It's also where they do the fireworks which are amazing.

How old is little one? Free lift pass if they wear a helmet! Also look out for free adult pass - on new years eve in the evening after fireworks adults can ski for free too until midnight. Not sure if they have something similar over xmas.
snow conditions
The other thing I found was that if you tend to have hot, sweaty feet and hands then be careful as the sweat migrates towards the outside of your gloves or boots and then can freeze inside the items, this is bloody horrible. I have got vapor barrier socks now and use several pairs of gloves
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy