Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FISCHER SPORTS Ranger 84 Skis for Newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Sorry for posting a 'help me' post as my first post. This will be my first season and all my experience up to this point has been lessons on the dry ski slope. I told myself that I would use rental skis for my first year but keep on looking at skis longingly (my wife thinks I have some sort of weird fetish).

I have come across some FISCHER SPORTS Ranger 84 Skis with X11 Bindings (176) for £188. Would these be a good ski for me? In all probability, I will be doing mostly piste to start off with but want to start doing off-piste as soon as my skill level will allow.

I'm fairly confident on the dry slope (level 5) I know this doesn't translate across to real snow but hopefully, give you some idea of ability and have Lange SX 100 boots. I'm 6ft and 78kgs.

Any help much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome, I went for a 84 width ski as my first ski (all be it Rossignal) & it has served my well over the years, it a bit jack of all trades.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads @Mcrobbie snowHead

Having your own boots is a really good idea - your own skis, at this stage, perhaps not so much.

Narrower skis aren't just easier on-piste but they really help focus on technique, which will serve you well down the line, when you do get off piste.
The thing is, you sound pretty ambitious to progress so I suspect that anything you buy that would suit you properly now, you would probably outgrow fairly quickly. (I suppose that's a good excuse to buy again Wink )

And then there's the other thing: what makes you think these Fischers suit you? Because they're cheap? Perhaps not the best criterion to choose a ski on.
As we know from our ski tests, ascertaining the right length, width etc is only the first step and you can ride 4 different skis that each meet these basic measurements only to find that you love one, hate another and can't remember the other 2 Confused
Really, it's best to try skis to make a decision.

OTOH the rules do state that the right number of pairs of skis to own is n+1 which is compelling argument in itself Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

love one, hate another and can't remember the other 2

Sounds like the morning after a good night out in Newcastle.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Uann that took me back a few years Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the reply's, even the ones reminding me of nights out in Newcastle Very Happy

Thanks for calling me out on the price. Even though I wasn't admitting it to myself it was a big motivating factor and I was trying to convince myself that getting them would be a great idea. Will hang off and start building up my snow days and that should give me a clearer idea of exactly what it is that I need
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mcrobbie, given you are holding off. May be worth keeping an eye on the Oktobertest organised by Snowheads.

Also they do skitest at the Eosb
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mcrobbie wrote:
my wife thinks I have some sort of weird fetish

Give it a few years .... my wife no longer thinks, she knows !!! 3 years skiing and 4th pair of skis purchased in March. Having said that first pair were a mistake and sold within 12months so the ^^ have it right probably best to hold off and then I'd likely be looking for a dry slope pair and a mountain pair and a offpiste and a and a and a

Welcome snowheads btw snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy