Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Boot Question probably 'sidecountry'

Poster: A snowHead
My current boots are around 11 years old but still serviceable.
However looking at getting a new pair.
I am thinking of one's I can do shortish skinning in, I have used my current boots on touring bindings up to about 2 -3 hours uphill but they are far from ideal.
I am not a particularly aggressive skier and less so recently due to a kranky knee I weigh around 83kg.
Any suggestions for boots and possible recommendations in Glasgow area for fitting.
Past experience leads me to think that comfort is more important to me than a very close fit
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@T Bar, 12200+ posts on snowheads and you're asking for a boot recommendation on the internet rolling eyes. Boot recommendations are useless as it's all about the correct fit on your feet, both for the up and the down. And all the makers offer a range of models (from super lightweights which are great for the up but not that great on the down to what are effectively alpine boots with a walk mode which are great on the down but not on the up, & everything in between), fits and flexes etc. Just make sure you get 'em with tech inserts so you can use tech bindings.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
@T Bar, 12200+ posts on snowheads and you're asking for a boot recommendation on the internet rolling eyes. .

Embarassed
But I haven't really read a boot thread for over 10 years as I have had a serviceable pair and don't feel able to give advice to anyone and am not an equipment geek.
I really don't know what is on offer at the moment, what the compromises are and the likelihood trade offs between uphill ease and downhill support.
The last time I used touring boots they were like wellies and I would not like to have used them for regular piste skiing
I gather this is not the case now.I really don't know where the better places are to buy them locally.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@T Bar, Well, I have two boots which are dual purpose, the Dynafit Ones which I find too soft for hard skiing but which are lovely for the uphill, and my Salomon Quest Max's which are fairly stiff and handle fat skis fine but which are still fine for tours of 500m - 800m vert. There are plenty of boots about, but watch out for the flex ratings, when trying a lot on I found that at a similar rating the touring boots felt about 10 - 20 under that of a pure Alpine boot. No idea where to get them your way but try on as many as possible... good luck.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 31-10-18 18:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@T Bar, back in the day, you’d have one or two boots in that category which were class leaders, so you’d either try to make one of them work for your foot, or accept something with a bit less performance but with a good fit. These days, most mfrs offer something in this category so you really just need to find somewhere with a decent range and good staff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nevisport (Shona?) gets well talked about, no idea about their alpine/touring splits.

Alain Baxter in Stirling may be too race oriented.

Maybe there's someone up near glens Shee or Coe who might have more of a touring outlook?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all,
Nevisport don't look to have much in that range.
Ellis Brigham have the most but I've ring Baxter's and arranged an appointment there, they seem to have a couple in my size .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/

...is nee so far from Glasgow and very touring and cross-country orientated.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Braemar - http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=288_293_299

Maybe too touring oriented.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis wrote:
...is nee so far from Glasgow and very touring and cross-country orientated.

Halfway between Warrington and Braemar is only just south of Glasgow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@T Bar, "a couple in your size" - would not have me getting too excited.

Sounds like an excuse for a Chamonix weekend to me!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs, exactly!

We've driven up after work to Braemar Youth Hostel, stayed the night, gone for a big walk the next day and then driven home. So, from Glasgow, it's nee so far.

Mind you, that was the trip where Mrs A was famously sick in the car. We were coming back through the road works for the new section near Cumbernauld when she announced she couldn't last any longer. Single lane between cones with string along the top and absolutely nowhere to pull off - aagh. It ended up everywhere including inside the glove box!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got Lange side country touring boots. They come in day glo green or orange. Buy some. Doesn't matter if they fit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@T Bar, "a couple in your size" - would not have me getting too excited.

Sounds like an excuse for a Chamonix weekend to me!

Chamonix sounds like a good idea and more fun than Warrington.
Not sure that Mrs T Bar would be too enamoured with the cost involved.
Actually I looked on the Braemar sports website and several of their boots were not in my size.
Too much choice would only discombobulate me anyway.
As pointed out above the main thing is that the colour is right.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@T Bar, Austria, go out to Flangesax's guesthouse in Radstadt for a long weekend on a cheap flight to Salzburg. The local Intersport, Schneider, in Altenmarkt has about 15 different touring boots from what I can remember, a massive display, and some of the staff are very keen backcountry skiers. The main ski tech is also a WC fitter.
snow report
@T Bar, that’s why my boots were white when bought?

SH1 (the BootFitter); here you go, they’re the best for your foot shape.

SH2 (The Client, who Knos Bestest); but, but, they’re white!

SH1; how much beer can you afford? The six pack you brought just about covers my patience with these and your crappy feet. Anything else and we’re talking cask loads.

SH2; oh (acquiesces, in despair at white boots)
ski holidays
@Scarpa,
Regrettably weekend flights to Salzburg from Scotland don't seem very viable.

@under a new name,
I once went round every ski shop in Glasgow trying to get boots for my daughter and not finding any that 'fitted' untill I discovered a pair in the last shop .
I only discovered afterwards that it was actually the colour that was the important fit rolling eyes
They were white
latest report
@T Bar, all wimmin’s boots are white.

Hence my (misogynistic) problem Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@T Bar, But seriously... wink
Do more research. Read about the different types of boots around, to get as much info as possible. Go to the local shop and try whatever they have. Ask the bootfitter for advice, but if ll he's (she's?, I've not come a cross a female one yet) trying to persuade you that the only one you want is what they've got, and it should be a full size smaller than you've had before, unless they're really comfortable - walk away. Go to another shop, try what they have. Repeat. You may have to go the the alps to complete the process (but that's never a bad thing Smile)
I was in PDS for two months last winter, and searched for a pair of boots similar to the ones you're looking for. I spent two hours with a bootfitter who was "trained by Bruno from Serre Chevalier" (the italics are meant to indicate the awe attached to Bruno from Serre Chevalier) who tried to persuade me that I needed smaller boots than I'd ever had before (these are my 4th pair of boots, so I'm not completely green in this area). My feet told me otherwise, and I eventuality found the same boot in a size bigger (which, coincidentally, he didn't have in stock), which I subsequently bought, for £150 less than he was going to charge me. I've skied them since, and they're brilliant.
Bear in mind these comments are influenced by the fact that I've just flown into Gibraltar, which is currently subject to one of the biggest thunderstorms I've ever seen, and there's nothing to do but drink gin, so they may not be completely reliable wink
Incidentally, they were Dalbello Lupo AX 120, in two shades of blue, and a bit of orange. Not white. Not even close to white.
latest report
@Chamcham, no female boot fitters? You haven't lived. Amanda at Sanglard in Chamonix. Bloody hell.
ski holidays
@HammondR, I stand corrected! Although, when I was there last, it was Jules who was fitting boots, and he looked male to me. Having said that, these days, who can tell?
ski holidays
@Chamcham,
Quote:

@HammondR, I stand corrected! Although, when I was there last, it was Jules who was fitting boots, and he looked male to me. Having said that, these days, who can tell?

In your profession, I would have thought you might have some idea NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy