Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts in E. Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My inlaws from Glasgow have decided to learn to ski, having heard me and the Mrs rave about it for years.
They will be celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary next year and want to do something special - they want us to come on a ski holiday with them to E. Canada Easter 2007, because "it's the up and coming area and good value" so they say.
Sounds great to me, the Mrs has already said we can have 2 ski hols next year Very Happy !
So any recommendations ?
I have told them to get to the Bearsden dry slope for starters
Newbies ages 45 & 50 and two 20 somethings.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good for them. Persuade them to stay on the 'plane for another couple of hours to Calgary or Vancouver and ski over there. If you're crossing the Atlantic to ski, you might as well do a propoer job.

The only E.Canadian resort of real note is Mt Tremblant, although there are loads of other smaller ones. I have no personal experience (I've been to Mt T in summer and could see that it's pretty modest in size, but that's all), but every Canadian skier I've spoken to has said 'don't bother, head west'.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I could do with a trip to Whistler !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who can turn down a second trip. If I was going all that way i'd prob want to try banff, whistler or one or two other of the canadian resorts but nor would i turn down a trip to tremblant (are you being v.lucky and they paying)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't suggesting turning down a trip to Mt T (or anywhere else), just a bit of urging further west.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I wouldn't do Whistler with novice skiers - it's liable to RAIN there at the village level, so if they don't take to the skiing they might find it a bit miserable.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are going to Eastern Canada why not stay in Quebec. Apart from the local ski areas there are the delights of the old walled city, the St Lawrence River (try a trip on an ice breaker for $4 return), and the Village des Sports (a frozen water park with ice slides to die for).
I've skied mostly at Mont Sainte-Anne which is pretty good (don't expect the 3V) with spectacular views of the St Lawrence. Stoneham and Le Massif are also worth a visit.
Be aware that the temperatures tend to be very low - lots of thermals needed. Also the resort catering is not wonderful, more like a school canteen. Very few queues, almost none if you avoid the weekends.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When the inlaws said they wanted us to come with them, they didn't mention that they were paying for the trip, I'll have to work on that one. Laughing
Having had a scan around, E Canada doesn't look like a good bet, I'd be rather bored.
Whistler, yep, my last experience was rather damp at village level.
If they have their heart set on Canada, I like the look of Banff or Lake Louise, but according to "Where to ski & Board 2006" both can "seem full of Brits" is a -ve comment they mention !
With the amount of snow falling in Scotland, they can have a taster of skiing at the weekend, lucky Fockers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarge, Try a bit further West - Panorama would be great for them ( and you I guess ). Slopeside accomodation, outdoor hot pools and tubs - brilliant place to start. If you are thinking of 2 weeks you could do a week here then a week at Banff or Lake Louise on the way back to Calgary.

View from the room. Edit - Help this does not work and I know why now, it's my 666 post Toofy Grin

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sarge wrote:
If they have their heart set on Canada, I like the look of Banff or Lake Louise, but according to "Where to ski & Board 2006" both can "seem full of Brits" is a -ve comment they mention !
With the amount of snow falling in Scotland, they can have a taster of skiing at the weekend, lucky Fockers.

Not too many Brits areound Silver Star / Big White / Sun Peaks if you want to go a bit further and hit the BC interior (lots of Aussies though!). And the resorts are close enough together to do more than one in the same trip, and see a little bit of the country while you're at it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sarge, I've been to Banff and LL many times, mostly in school Easter hols. There are fair number of Brits, but they don't stand out in the way they do in Europe. This may be in part because of the language and in part because, they are on average, a different, ahem, type of Brit from the type who (apparently) infest Val d'Isere on the one hand and wear 'sports leisurewear' on the other. I wouldn't let the prospect of Brits put you off.

Panorama is a good spot, although it has a reutation for often being icy (as it was the week we were there), probably for 1 week rather than 2. Jasper is also pleasant, again for 1 week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sarge, it may be a bit chilly on the Eastern seaboard for beginners, but if they like the skiing at Cairngorm that won't be a problem Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not bothered about the number of fellow Brits, thanks as ever you lot for all the good info.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy