Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton - too busy 3rd Jan for mother/daughter trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Long story short - planning a 4 day break with 13yr old daughter on 3rd Jan 2019. Looked at St Anton as its a short transfer, do-able by train from Innsbruck (so I don't have to drive - husband normally does the driving!!).

Not particularly interested in apres-ski (with a 13yr old) - just want easy transfer, decent skiing.

She's only skied in Italy before - both times just before Christmas and we've virtually had the slopes to ourselves. Will it be manic 3-6th Jan? She's obviously not an expert but has a natural flair for it so a decent intermediate.

Also, considering staying slightly outside (Schann) which I understand is 15 mins on the ski bus - just because its so expensive in the town itself and most people will only consider a week-long booking for that week, and we can only do Thurs-Sun.

If all the advice is don't go to St Anton as it will be really busy, can anyone suggest somewhere else - shortish flight and easy transfer to resort by public transport.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton is a bit downmarket and stacked with rowdy Brits, Dutch and Russians.

The first week of 2019 is Russian New Year, so St Anton will still be fairly rowdy and busy.

Better to stay in Lech.

Or try somewhere else, like Igls, Soll, or Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In terms of easy journey by train, and not being to bothered by apres, I'd suggest the Skiwelt as well - specifically Westendorf, from where you can ski in Kitzbuhel for a day if you fancy. They have really good snow making, so if it happens to be a rubbish start to the season in that respect it doesn't matter. Plus, it's really good value for hotels.

Have no experience of whether St Anton would be busy - I've only been in the second week of January (It was dead, but perhaps I was just in the wrong places!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
St Anton is a bit downmarket and stacked with rowdy Brits, Dutch and Russians......

Sweeds used to be pretty rowdy there back in the early 90s. Has that changed?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For 3/4 days skiing a smaller resort might be better. Either staying in Innsbruck or in one of the villages local to the resort.

e.g. axamer-lizum (20 mins drive from Innsbruck Airport)
https://www.bergfex.at/axamer-lizum/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had Christmas week in St Anton once, didn't find it overly busy, queues for lifts were small, very good week.
Have been in Chamonix (easy Geneva transfer) twice at New Year, lots of rich Italians(Milanese and Turinese) in town but the ski areas were not packed out at all and I think by the 3rd they'll mostly have gone home.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Newbie72,
Mother+daughter=Lech.
So much nicer and quieter

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-10-18 17:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is no definitive answer here, a lot comes down to general snow conditions. If the snow conditions are generally poor then the Arlberg might be more crowded simply because of less skiing elsewhere. Dont take much notice of the prophets of doom, there is plenty of skiing in the Arlberg region for most people. Some weeks (generally over half term) it can get very busy but that's true of most resorts on the other hand dont expect empty pistes. If you are not bothered about the apres then Schnann is fine, there are plenty of buses. St A is one of the easiest places to get to by train, direct from Innsbruck no need to change and the station is in the heart of the village (though a taxi might be the best option to get to your accommodation). If your daughter is a keen skier she will find plenty to keep herself amused.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lech is good if cost is not an issue but I think as you have already found a hotel willing to do a short period booking in one of the busiest weeks of the year I would stick with Schann.

I don't see St Anton as being any worse than most resorts in a peak week. It will help if you catch the first lift of the day, lunch at 11.45 and ski through lunch hour.

NB Unless both of you are comfortable on crowded icy red runs it is a good idea to download at the end of the day. The runs back down to St Anton can be evil.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TQA wrote:

NB Unless both of you are comfortable on crowded icy red runs it is a good idea to download at the end of the day. The runs back down to St Anton can be evil.

I'm NEVER going back - hated it!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have a work trip there every year. After day one all the novices are petrified of the runs back in
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh you profits of doom!
Its a great place from late December till early April.

I've just had to look up where Schnann was ... East of Pettneu,

I'm sure you'll have a great time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DanFuller wrote:
We have a work trip there every year. After day one all the novices are petrified of the runs back in

I agree, not the ideal place to take a 13yo daughter with two weeks experience, the terrain is quite demanding and the apres is full-on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TQA, The home runs at St A are no worse than many other places, for example the "easy" blue runs back to Scheffau or Kirchberg can turn into huge downhill skating rinks. The biggest issue can be the crowds outside the Mooser etc and the short pitch between the KK and Mooser can be a bit tricky but that is easily avoided. There is also a very straight forward blue piste / path back from Gampen avoiding the crowds and chopped up pistes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, ...or just download from mid-mountain on Nassereinbahn or Galzigbahn (depending where you are). Easy.
snow report
As a general rule, the first week after new year is one of the quietest of the season.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
As a general rule, the first week after new year is one of the quietest of the season.

…. but isn't that the following week? People who book a holiday in St Anton generally book for the week (as the hotels etc don't give part weeks free until just before).
01.01.2019 is on a Tuesday. I'd expect most will either have Wed 02-Fri 04 free or will take 3 days holiday so they can ski the whole week rather than pay for a week and only ski Sun to Tue.
latest report
The Russian 10 Day New Years Holiday starts December 30th

but as rule a rule they start arriving in town (St Anton) From January 1st but there gone on January 8th (Russian Christmas Day)
ski holidays
@Newbie72, Finding accomodation for less than a week can be done but you will probably need to leave it until the last moment. Owners like to rent for a FULL week (Sat to Sat) and not straddle Weekends as this blocks two weeks rent for them..
latest report
luigi wrote:

I agree, not the ideal place to take a 13yo daughter with two weeks experience, the terrain is quite demanding and the apres is full-on.

Yes I wouldn't take a two-week skier to St Anton. Pistes can be very busy and icy, especially the home runs. The signposting and piste linking isn't actually that great either.

The apres is indeed full on but can easily be avoided.

I've been there three times and always found the runs pretty icy, even with decent snow cover.

I'd go somewhere quieter with more gentle terrain.
snow report
Agree with those complaining of the terrain for your daughter.She will definitely manage, but will she enjoy?
Wouldn't Solden make it a better choice?
Check the pistes on
http://youtube.com/v/d78hHZvO3Yg and on https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/soelden/trail-map/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy