Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies Do Europe - Live trip report.

Poster: A snowHead
@adithorp, i like the hanging red lady. Nice work
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, the dancers are a new item this season I believe. Think he might add feathers as wings and turn them into Christmas angels rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Major hiccup looming.
We leave tomorrow. It was only late last night we noticed the rental car company (WinRent out of Verona Airport) requires not one but two credit cards for the class of vehicle we’ve reserved. I only have one actual credit card and it’s too late to get another one.
I do have two other Visa debit cards. They work just like a credit card (press credit on the keypad, put in PIN - all works fine).
Apparently they require a ‘hold’ of 1000 Euros which is no issue.
Is it likely they will be happy if for example I offered ‘hold’ of say 2000 Euro on the visa debit and a normal hold on my regular credit card? We really can’t opt for a different class vehicle because there is 4 of us and we have heaps of gear. Snow tyres are important too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, I don’t understand the numbers you quote or why they need 2 credit cards.

They require a ‘hold’ of 1000 euros. Then you mention offering a hold of 2000 euros on your debit card. Can you not just put the hold of 1000 euros on the one credit card you have?

As I understand it, the card only gets charged if you return the car damaged, for example. You simply need to have enough credit limit to cover their hold charge.

Have I misunderstood something? I’ve hired cars many times and only ever used one credit card, with an adequate credit limit, to guarantee the hold charge.
Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unusual for a car hire company to require two credit cards (in my experience anyway). Are you sure you have to have two?

Whatever the answer, sounds like you'll have to just chance it and hope they'll accept a single credit card. If they don't, you'd have to book with another car hire company at the airport. This will be more expensive and you might still have to pay for the original hire (depending on their refund policy).

A couple of other options: 1. can you cancel the booking (without charge) now, and book with a different company?
2. Make a backup online booking with another company which you can cancel at the last minute, just in case you have to use them. Might be cheaper than finding another company at the airport and having to pay "on the day" prices.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker, just read their Ts&Cs. If vehicle classed as special group (T,Z or P) they state 2 credit cards required and seem to explicitly exclude using any other type of payment. So if they apply that condition, debit card, etc, not accepted.

One way to avoid this seems to be to take their rather expensive super insurance cover. I’m suspicious that the 2 credit card requirement is a ruse to sell more of their insurance cover.

If possible, maybe you can contact their customer services at the first opportunity? Seeking an answer before you arrive much better than when you are stood at the rental desk.

Good luck. Hopefully other snowHeads may think of another way around this.

Good luck.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeakyB wrote:
@sbooker, just read their Ts&Cs. If vehicle classed as special group (T,Z or P) they state 2 credit cards required and seem to explicitly exclude using any other type of payment. So if they apply that condition, debit card, etc, not accepted.

One way to avoid this seems to be to take their rather expensive super insurance cover. I’m suspicious that the 2 credit card requirement is a ruse to sell more of their insurance cover.

If possible, maybe you can contact their customer services at the first opportunity? Seeking an answer before you arrive much better than when you are stood at the rental desk.

Good luck. Hopefully other snowHeads may think of another way around this.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
To avoid hassles we've paid for their 'supercover' insurance scam. Hopefully we can sort it somehow otherwise this could end up costly. Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, have you tried calling them to double check?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only having one card is risky in general. I used to have only one until Barclaycard put a stop on it without telling me after they detected some fraudulent activity elsewhere. I only discovered this when attempting to pay for petrol on my way to Portsmouth for a holiday in Spain. It was very inconvenient having no credit card for the duration! Now I do have two, one Visa and one Mastercard and from two different companies. It’s not unknown for the transaction processing networks to suffer from transient failures too...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, I don't think it's possible to "hold" an amount of money on a debit card. My experience is that car hire companies that state credit card only, will stick to this and not be flexible. However, the second credit card may not need to be in your name - does your wife have one too? This worked for us last year at Geneva.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mgrolf wrote:
@sbooker, I don't think it's possible to "hold" an amount of money on a debit card. My experience is that car hire companies that state credit card only, will stick to this and not be flexible. However, the second credit card may not need to be in your name - does your wife have one too? This worked for us last year at Geneva.

The second credit card has to be in my name.
I’m thinking of offering another temporary bond type payment on the proviso it is refunded at the end if we return the car without damage.
What is the second card all about anyway?
They could just take a higher amount on hold on the one car.
We have emailed their customer care department.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

We have emailed their customer care department.

I'd phone them. Italy is not known for being great at online stuff. They will speak English though you might need to keep it clear and simple.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This sounds like a fairly major glitch! I hope you can resolve it and still have a memorable holiday. Good luck! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could also look at separate car hire insurance like this https://www.insurance4carhire.com/?refID=2047&subRefID=0&curID=GBP&langID=1&mkwid=sGq0jNE4q_dc&crid=101583030263&mp_kw=insurance%20for%20car%20hire&mp_mt=e&plc=&slid=&ds_rl=1250472&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjdX7_LWr3wIVrLftCh3jtQxcEAAYASAAEgKVnfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

don't know whether as an Aus resident you'd be eligible, but maybe something similar over there?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Salzburg last week the person before me didn't have a credit card. There were signs saying no debit card but the desk simply debited a higher deposit and said they would refund it if there was no damage. This was eith Megadrive.....who a lot of people on here slate.

Definitely worth talking to them...it does sound nuts
ski holidays
Good news.
Francesca from the customer care department of WinRent has confirmed by email that because we have a ‘gold’ MasterCard they will make an exception to their usual requirements.
Hopefully mini crisis is averted.
ski holidays
Great! Take a printout of that email with you.
latest report
Quote:

Take a printout of that email with you

+1. Don't rely on connectivity in Italian airports. Or cash machines. V good news - hope it all goes well.
snow conditions
@pam w, @denfinella,
Will do. Thanks.
Nearly 9.30pm here now. A few hours sleep and then up at 4.30am tomorrow to squeeze in a gym sesh and a few last jobs at work. Airport at 11.30am.
The whole crew are excited......and Mrs Sbooker is a little anxious as she is in charge of passports and all other paperwork.
latest report
I was asked for two credit cards in Milan last year. Happily I had them both with me. But I don't think I was in Pisa on a trip a few months later. I suspect there are scams that might involve cars being rented in northern Italy then driven east.
snow report
@sbooker, great news, glad you got that sorted.

Learning point for all of us is that Ts&Cs for car rental need to be read and understood. Even then, you have to be on your guard for extra insurance sales pressure, fuel charges, fake damage charges, etc.

I find it frustrating that you seem to have to do as much ‘due diligence’ when renting than if you were buying the damn car!
rolling eyes
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@sbooker, great news, glad you got that sorted.

Learning point for all of us is that Ts&Cs for car rental need to be read and understood. Even then, you have to be on your guard for extra insurance sales pressure, fuel charges, fake damage charges, etc.

I find it frustrating that you seem to have to do as much ‘due diligence’ when renting than if you were buying the damn car!
rolling eyes

Too right about the T&Cs. My first effort this season was with Sixt which, on seeing a comment here, when back to check to find their insurance was not comprehensive. So cancelled that and rebooked via an aggregator with Hertz. On checking this confirmation, I found that it didnt mention the inclusion of snow chains, which I thought on booking it did. On asking them to confirm, they turn around and ask for a screen shot of the offer that came from their system!
latest report
yup
go over the car with a fine toothcomb
mark anything & everything on the agreement.
Take Photos & videos.
Ditto when you return the car.
ski holidays
@ster, @Mr.Egg,
it may even be worth a snowHead sticky thread? Car rental issues crop up so often, might be useful to have as easy reference.

Or is there a thread that does that already?
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@ster, @Mr.Egg,
it may even be worth a snowHead sticky thread? Car rental issues crop up so often, might be useful to have as easy reference.

Or is there a thread that does that already?

Yes, it would be a good thing (the current advice and experience does seem to be scattered amongst many threads) but I think the thread format doesnt really lend itself to something that needs to easily referenced and updatable with all elements in one place to see/reference/compare etc. I dont know if there is an alternative here? An attached database/document? Anyway sbookers thread is probably not the place and shouldn't be cluttered with tangential discussions.
snow report
Go to insurance4carhire.com, or similar, and buy the extra cover separately - rather than worrying about fine-toothed combs, or buying their super-expensive damage waiver.

These are all UK based https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/ doubtless there will be Aussie-based ones too. Just make sure you buy it before hiring the car (!)
latest report
OMG.
Now in Munich. Flight(s) were brutal.
Heading to check out the sites! Hope to catch the Christmas markets this afternoon and get a well earned beer before an early night.
Just on wifi now - I’ll find a prepaid sim card soon.
latest report
Enjoy the Christmas Markets. We liked the Mediaeval one in Munich. Don't forget to have a plate of Kaiserschmarr'n with either apple or plum sauce. And have a Feuerzangenbowle as well as the Gluehwein
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So we cruised around yesterday in pretty decent weather. Just a few light showers.
The trains and trams are easy to get around on - even for bogan Australians that can’t speak the local lingo or read the signs.
Yesterday we checked out the Marienplatz (watched the Glockenspiel do it’s thing), climbed the tower at St Peters church (fantastic view of the city and distant snow covered mountains up there), bought Birkenstock’s “from Germany” for my wife (who has always had multiple pairs), did the Christmas market thing (so they can sell gluhwein in public places without a liquor licence?), had an obligatory photo with my “mass” (litre) of beir at the Augustiner beer hall etc etc before crashing at about 9pm. Now on Euro time!
I was a little apprehensive about what the beer would be like as I have a strong dislike for watery lager type (think Corona). No need to worry! The pils, dunkel and even the ‘standard’ helles are fantastic.
I’m one that avoids bread and too many carbs in my food to a degree. The Germans appear to have bread with their meat for most meals and veges (aside from potatoes and cabbage) seem to make a token appearance if any. I can see me being about a stone heavier when I get home. Very Happy
I’ve got to work out how to upload the photos. I’ll work on that when we’re on the train to Dachau today.
ski holidays
JohnHSmith wrote:
Enjoy the Christmas Markets. We liked the Mediaeval one in Munich. Don't forget to have a plate of Kaiserschmarr'n with either apple or plum sauce. And have a Feuerzangenbowle as well as the Gluehwein

& dampfnodle or whatever its called.
Cant not have schweinshaxe
Spoilt for beer choice!
Get some Dunkel's down your neck
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
JohnHSmith wrote:

Spoilt for beer choice!

Had a dunkel last night. Great stuff. Very Happy
latest report
@sbooker, variety of and, in my opinion, quality of food will improve when you get to the Dolomites. Still heavy on the carbs usually, but hey, you’ll be skiing and burning extra calories to keep warm.

German beer has great choice and quality though.
snowHead
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
JohnHSmith wrote:

Spoilt for beer choice!

Had a dunkel last night. Great stuff. Very Happy

go take a look in Haxnbrauer window at the shweinaxe cooking
snow report
@sbooker, can't believe you were worried about the quality of beer in Munich Shocked
snow report
@adithorp,
Not quality but whether they had the type I prefer. I would take an ale over a lager any day but luckily the German lagers are nothing like the tasteless rubbish that is so popular at home.
latest report
sbooker You upload photos via the separate Smowmediazone. Google it, log in and click on upload photos.

You can then click on each uploaded image and cut and paste the code for each photo into a post on the normal Snowheads site.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
@adithorp,
Not quality but whether they had the type I prefer. I would take an ale over a lager any day but luckily the German lagers are nothing like the tasteless rubbish that is so popular at home.

I've been a bit disappointed in the beers over the border in Austria to be honest. I've often found them a bit lacking in flavour, especially compared to the German ones.
Are there any good ones SnowHeads might recommend?
snow conditions
@Drammeister, Stiegl, Puntigamer, Huber (from St. Johann in Tirol), Fohrenburg and Zillertal also gets mentioned on here.
snow conditions
@Drammeister, I don’t mind fizzy pop lager and I think that is what most of the common beers are in Austria. However, most of the breweries offer a wheat beer option that seems quite popular.
latest report
Modern lagers are based on pilsners.
Hower they are not pilsners due to using different grains. Coors lager is probably the nearest lager to pilsner without being called a pilsner.

Anyway your in germany so also try helles, marzen/oktoberfest & kolsch. Even a gosse style if you can find it.
Wont get local ales/stouts/porters due to the water softness.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy