Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Layering advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Thinking of moving to to a hardshell outfit option in 2020.
There is plenty of informstion out there about upper body layering (base/mid/insulation/hardshell).
However, there doesn't seem to be much advice regarding legs.
Any suggestions on what I should wear with some Gore-tex leggings? (Was edging towards Arc'Teryx Sabre pants).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on yourself and how cold your legs “feel” the cold.

I run quite warm and don’t feel the cold on my legs much (happily wear shorts down to 5c) so 3/4 length merino wool/fleece leggings down to -10c and extra merino wool boxers for anything colder.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Falke base layer that are not compression but reasonably fitted if it's warmer, some Merino wool looser fit if colder, and put both on if it's really freezing.

Reasonably adjustable heat range with just the two different specs to make up to final set with outer layer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tend to run a bit hot.The running hot is only upper body, managed by using different layering kit.
Use Under Armour Heat Gear 3/4 leggings with no problem.
Would this be sufficient with just Gore-Tex?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You may need different layers if it's, say, zero, or minus 30. It depends. Take an extra pair of Decathlon 3.99 leggings just in case and all will be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not usually susceptible to cold until it really gets going and never took that much care to keep legs warm as seemed to generate enough heat for most months when skiing.

But revised that when I was sitting on a lift in heavy snow and my legs were steaming, which made me realise just how much heat was going out there. This is what made me buy the merino layer. Now I feel i've a better overall balance of heat with legs supplying more heat to core so can use less layers for top, if that makes sense.

For me, I'd consider a merino layer with those pants as you'll feel more of a disparity from top to base I think, and start out with a more equal balance to judge from there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skiingsteve wrote:
.....Thinking of moving to to a hardshell outfit option in 2020.......

And we have a winner for the advance planning prize Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had those exact trousers and wore a merino baselayer underneath. Was fine for most temperatures but had an insulated knee length pant (Haglofs Barrier) for -10 and below days
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
You may need different layers if it's, say, zero, or minus 30. It depends. Take an extra pair of Decathlon 3.99 leggings just in case and all will be fine.

Both of these. With 1 or 2 pairs of Tesco 'wooly' (polyester) tights.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
really cant answer that, as it depends on the conditions on the day.
Best to describe it as you got nothing on. If its windy, then you will feel the cold breeze.

I also wear knee supports as well as padded shorts being a border + long snowboard socks.
Usually with a mid weight base layer that is enough to keep me warm enough as long as I am moving.
I struggle when I stop though. Can get really cold all over quite quickly!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is a subject that is probably more variable than any other when skiing as people are so variable!!!!
Some get hot after 5 min of excercise despite being quite fit while others stay cool, some people hate feeling just slightly cold and others hate being hot & sweaty (I get hot very quickly & hate being hot & sweaty)
The disadvantage of layering is the faff of adding / removing layers as you heat up / cool down, I prefer a single, well insulated layer with zipped ventilation that can be opened / closed almost instantly.
I have realized that I get away with cotton layers as I never let myself get very sweaty, I always unzip to cool down as soon as I feel hot. If I was wearing layers, I probably wouldn't bother with the faff & put up with sweating more or feeling cold.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I run hot but like a warm torso & prefer my legs not too well insulated to help dump heat. Just an un-insulated pair of ski pants is more than enough for me, partly as I tend to wear a long jacket/smock. I do have a pair of merino 3/4 leggings; I wore them once & at Glenshee on a very cold windy day but after about 5 minutes I felt physically sick I was so hot so straight off with them & haven't worn them since. As above I prefer shorts to about 5 degrees especially if walking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr.Egg wrote:

I also wear knee supports as well as padded shorts being a border

Have you thought about how Brexit will affect you? Hard or soft? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powerstretch tights are really good to wear under shell only trousers when its cold, have found them to be warmer than say, wearing generic mountaineering trousers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I understand the "don't want to be sweaty when skiing" stuff, but genuine answer on that for me was - Stop smoking, lose weight, get fit and get technique Very Happy

In answer to the question though -

My outer gear is Columbia hardshell, with a zip in fleece on upper body.

Both fleece and hardshell have pit and leg zips which can help if too hot (not an issue in Tignes in January, but skiing in April is a different ballgame, even in Scotland)

As far as base layers go, I wear a thinnish cycling merino top and merino leggings.

In fact, I would say our entire group wear merino base layers on upper and legs.
ski holidays
Easiest thing to do is to compare it to yesterday. If its 5 degs colder or wind is forecast another layer is in order.
ski holidays
Cold legs or feet are a sign of poor blood circulation.

Bloodflow is weakest below the waist.

Get it checked out by a doc.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Bloodflow is weakest below the waist

May be true in some cases but suspect for you it is weakest above the neck
latest report
£5 Sports Direct cricket 'box' underpants, £10 Ebay compression top, £10 Ebay compression bottoms, £25 Ebay Chinese ski trousers (SURPRISINGLY effective), £50 TK Maxx softshell jacket, snood, socks and helmet. Never cold. (Though I don't think I've been below -5 to be fair.)
snow report
DJL wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Bloodflow is weakest below the waist

May be true in some cases but suspect for you it is weakest above the neck

Nice one Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:
I understand the "don't want to be sweaty when skiing" stuff, but genuine answer on that for me was - Stop smoking, lose weight, get fit and get technique Very Happy

I don't smoke, I'm fairly slim and moderately fit (by the time I go skiing) it's when some over enthusiastic guide suggests a hike to that untracked powder that I start to melt (in many ways Laughing )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy