Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2018/1019

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name,
Stayed at Le Tour yesterday as one of the group had a lesson booked. Most of the runs are in good condition but the him run is a little icy. The green runs are good too although very cold in the shade until after lunch.
Going to Les Houches today as we meet a Dutch couple who said it was okay.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neillp wrote:
@under a new name,
Stayed at Le Tour yesterday as one of the group had a lesson booked. Most of the runs are in good condition but the him run is a little icy. The green runs are good too although very cold in the shade until after lunch.
Going to Les Houches today as we meet a Dutch couple who said it was okay.

Be very grateful if you could post how le houches was
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dave_3, not great to be honest, le tour was much better.

Anything below 1500m was very poor.
Going to Flegere tomorrow so will report back
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That would be good. Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dave_3, Flégère was good today not too icy.
If I was to lst the areas I have been to in order of snow condition it would be
1 Flegere
2 Le Tour
3 Les Houches

All are okay but LH in desperate need of some snow as quite a few runs closed and others challenging
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dave_3, Courmayeur last weekend was ok but icier than GM and won’t have got better since.

In contrast, verbier today was MUCH better than anywhere in Cham valley. Chalky off piste on the itineraries, lots of snowmaking on piste.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What sort of condition is the Valle Blance in at the moment??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just spent the day at le tour. its was very cold at the top. the skiing was a mixture of fantastic snow followed by sheet ice.

courmayeur tomorrow
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm thinking about Courmayeur tomorrow too, but not sure how it is.

In case anyone is interested, I've been to La Thuile/La Rosiere Thursday and Today. Today was the better day I feel as it was less busy and snow held up better - could be worse in my opinion but of course we could use some help from mother nature : ).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has last day on the slopes yesterday, and went to le tour to let my wife practise on the greens at vallorcine. The snow cover was pretty poor though with a few patches where you can see the grass but skiable.

I then went up the top at le tour and the pistes were pretty icy. Later on went back to Chamonix via flegere and Brevent for a last run of cornu. Again lots of icy and not enough snow in places. The area could do with a good dump soon!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just an update on my last post - I would say Courmayeur definitely needs some snow. My first time there and definitely a really cool place however. I felt La Thuile/La Rosiere Saturday was better though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
courmayeur today. Ice ice and more ice. snow is needed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

on the greens at vallorcine

?? the Golf Course is a Les Praz.

I wasn't aware there were any greens at Vallorcine?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, maybe vormaine?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Neillp, who knows?
snow report
My bad, I've been since 0345 for the transfer back this morning. Vormaine is the one! I think it's nearly bed time!
snow report
Will be in Chamonix from Thursday to Sunday (not been before). Is there enough skiing to spend a day in each of the four areas? Or is it easy to get between 2/3 in one day?. Also given current and predicted weather conditions, can anyone recommend an ideal 'schedule'.
snow report
it depends on the snow in the next couple of days. I skied brevent and flegere today and it was ok. all the area's are skiing much the same at the moment. snow needed badly
snow conditions
Quote:

enough skiing to spend a day in each of the four areas?

Definitely for Brevent-Flegere and Grands Montets. Not sure about La Tour (Vallorcine side a bit ropey). Would not be bothered trying to do more than one in a day.

But Meteo Blue forecasting snow this week and next...
latest report
Thanks for the tips. Forecasts seemed to have backed off again for this week, keeping my fingers crossed!
latest report
Anyone on the ground in the Chamonix valley with an update on what snowfall is like today and tonight? Heading out for a long weekend on 16 January so interested in what’s happening. Even if it means just sticking to the pistes that’s fine for me so long as there is good coverage (i.e. not lots of rocks poking through).

And whilst I’m here, is the Aiguille de Midi running yet? Not planning on doing the VB but if the weather is ok I’d like to go up with Mrs BigTub as she’s not been before.
snow report
I'm here at the moment and despite the forecast no snow has fallen. all resorts are skiing much the same which is hard and very icy. the adm has been open for most of the time. it was closed for high wind the other day.

the locals are saying snow will fall tomorrow but nothing significant enough to make a decent change. I'd say brevent\ flegere is the best skiing atm
ski holidays
Thanks Dave, keeping my fingers crossed.
snow report
Am in Courmayeur this weekend, is it still looking icy? I see a dump of snow forecast for later today/tonight, fingers crossed
ski holidays
@Jesnoid, who is forecasting a "dump" of snow? I don't see it. Sunny lunches in the sun, what's not to like?

@dave_3,
Quote:
the locals are saying snow will fall tomorrow but nothing significant enough
... you have to bear in mind that his is relative to what the locals think "a difference" is. Being that enough snow will fall to open up some of the routes that feature in Extreme Skiing of Chamonix, 1980, but that are now routinely skied.

10cms of snow, barely enough to ground the UK to a halt will make the pistes that much massively more pleasant for a week, but won't open up the ENSA couloir, for example
So... really depends on your ambitions.
latest report
Big dump on brevent today. this photo was at the top

snow conditions
@dave_3, thta is a very welcome sight, but is not a “big dump”. snowHead
snow conditions
it is when you're standing in it
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dave_3, 1m20 overnight (as we had last year, in our garden) is a big dump!

What have you got, about 30cms? more than anticipated unless it's drifted. Hard to predict precip quantity so that's extremely good news.
ski holidays
Does any kind person have a snow report after yesterday's dusting? We're due in Argentiere on Saturday night and the optimism is burgeoning after the upgraded snow forecast this morning Very Happy
snow report
Not news from on the ground, but Cham-meteo's report this morning is saying "considerable snowy deterioration likely by the weekend".

Fingers crossed as I'm flying in Sunday evening.
snow report
Not in cham but quite close yesterdays dusting was 25 cm of very dry snow which the wind moved about quite a bit but we have enjoyed some not so shoddy powder skii Very Happy ng this am even if the depth was quite varaiable Very Happy
snow report
Yes I would agree Brock, that was the case at Courmayeur - had some good runs on Wednesday.
snow report
I'll take @brock's observations as possibly relevant to Chx, but Courmayeur, sorry @drakesnow but that might as well be on the moon.
snow report
Hmmm, what I mean by that is Courmayeur can have rakes of snow when Chx is dry as a bone.

Clearly if that happens I'm more than happy to drive for 20mins to take advantage, so not 'on the moon' in that sense. snowHead
ski holidays
No problem, sorry to clog your thread. I was only trying to offer some helpful intel as have been there this week and have seen people post information on Courmayeur in this thread...
ski holidays
I'm out there next week, probably some time Les Houches, some Contamines. Will post, but hoping will be a bit more before then
ski holidays
@drakesnow, which is entirely reasonable as Courmayeur is covered on the main Chamonix "Unlimited" pass and only 20 minutes away... just need to be aware that conditions - and weather - can be black and white different on each side of the tunnel (there being a great big alpine mountain range in between) Happy
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Jesnoid, who is forecasting a "dump" of snow? I don't see it. Sunny lunches in the sun, what's not to like?

@dave_3,
Quote:
the locals are saying snow will fall tomorrow but nothing significant enough
... you have to bear in mind that his is relative to what the locals think "a difference" is. Being that enough snow will fall to open up some of the routes that feature in Extreme Skiing of Chamonix, 1980, but that are now routinely skied.

10cms of snow, barely enough to ground the UK to a halt will make the pistes that much massively more pleasant for a week, but won't open up the ENSA couloir, for example
So... really depends on your ambitions.

ENSA was skied yesterday, and probably today too...
snow report
@timlongs, ah, excellent! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy