Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

V URGENT - THE BEST OAKLEY SUNGLASSES

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going away skiing tomorrow and have just realised that I can't find my Oakleys (bought last year £135) I can find the cheap ones I bought 6 years ago! I need to buy some new Oakleys so can you tell me which are the best ones to get. I've got goggles for flat light but what is the best lens tope for all round skiing conditions/use.

I know it's a bit late now but would like to buy some today. Any suggestions?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jack Hallam, get another pair of lenses for the goggles - like the iridium ones - for use on sunny days.

Have a butchers on the Oakley website too, there's loads of info about the lenses they offer.

How's the back BTW?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill wrote:
Jack Hallam, get another pair of lenses for the goggles - like the iridium ones - for use on sunny days.

Have a butchers on the Oakley website too, there's loads of info about the lenses they offer.

How's the back BTW?
Not so bad thanks, a bit weak still which leads me to believe that I'll should have bought a back support.

Nevermind, if I hurt myself I'll give you a call and you can sue the authoities in Megeve for me for making their slopes slippy!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
too late for Jack I think but having just bought a pair of A-Frame goggles with G-30 lnses, I don't think they can be beaten for all bar the very brightest of days. I doubt I'll be skiing in glasses again unless the tan is the priority Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jack Hallam, www.isyte.com - lots of good advice. Personally for all round conditions I like gold iridium.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a pair of oakleys with the fire iridium lenses just before our first trip in Jan and I am delighted with them. They offer fantastic protection during bright spells an are also awesome in flat light. Interestingly I found it far easier to drive in the falling snow (late afternoon) with them on than without them. When I was checking them out at the Oakley store, the rep there recommended them for skiing as "there's something about that lens which makes it particularly good for skiing", plus this wasn't a sales pitch as I'd already established that they didn't have them in stock with the frames I wanted...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a pair of Oakleys bottleneck with black iridium polarized glasses. Have never had better glasses for driving a car or generally being in the sun, but skiing in "flat light" conditions there is little depth. I see that there are no fire iridum lence choices

So what do you think is the best lence for skiing in flat light conditions ( seem to remember that the flat light can be pritty "bright" Very Happy
witch makes me think Bronze Polarized may be better than the G30 ???? Anyone who have tested??

Polarized:
Bronze Polarized – Optimized for medium to bright light, it filters out glare while enhancing visual contrast to improve depth perception. This lens option allows 15% of available light to be transmitted through the lens.

Titanium IRIDIUM® Polarized – It covers the range from medium to bright light, filtering out glare while improving visual contrast to boost depth perception. This lens option allows 12% of available light to be transmitted through the lens

Not polarized;
Bronze – Engineered for medium to bright light, this unique styling accent allows 22% of available light to be transmitted through the lens.

G30™ – Designed for pro golfers, it boosts visual contrast to improve depth perception in flat/overcast to medium light. This lens option allows 30% of available light to be transmitted through the lens.

Titanium IRIDIUM® – To improve depth perception, it boosts visual contrast. This lens option allows 10% of available light to be transmitted, which maximizes performance in bright sunlight.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually, polarised lenses are not that useful for skiing as the cut out the glare coming off icy patches... so it's easier to crash and damage/loose your Oakleys, not to mention your pride. NehNeh Razz
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love my G30 lenses (in a-frame goggles) they're fantastic in low light and are sufficiently 'dark' for the brighter days too...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just puchased a pair of Wisdom's with Fire Iridium, they look the dogs, won't find out how they perform until the weekend though (fair weather permitting).

Sorry I can't help further with this.

Going to be wearing the Wisdom's with a helmet, anyone used one of those Wisdom goggle straps? Have one on order, awaiting delivery.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith, I use the std strap that comes with the Wisdoms - although I only have a smal Giro 9.9 - not had any problems with them not fitting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith, I have A frames with the fire iridium - great lens. I bought the helmet strap, cause I have an unfeasibly large brain Laughing , requiring a big-ish helmet...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, so it fits over your hat? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith - i bought the goggle strap for the wisdoms . ive got a medium protec (sorry dont know the model) and the strap sorted out all the issues i had with the wisdom/helmet combo before i had the strap. spot on, no problems with it what so ever
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, I never wear a hat on the slopes.
snow report
frostie1861, thanks for the reminder, not received the strap yet, called the supplier, they're out of stock until next Monday, not much good as I'm off this Saturday. Not a problem though as they're happy for me to cancel if I can buy one out in resort.

What's the likelyhood of picking one up in Alpe d'Huez ... anyone know ? How would the price compare, I was paying £10 inc postage from www.steptoes.co.uk but have seen them for as much as £15 plus £3 postage elsewhere ...
snow conditions
i got mine from www.rubensmenswear.com think i might have paid £12 or £14 for them, but they arrived the next day.

no idea what your chances are of getting them in resort, i dont recall seeing any when i was in val d'isere or st anton this year - but as id already bought mine i wasnt really looking. good luck with getting some as i know how much difference they made for me - ie my goggles actually fitted on my face properly with the strap!!
ski holidays
Thanks frostie1861, just ordered from rubensmenswear, as a bonus they're eonly a few miles away from me so can pick up at my leisure ... Very Happy result £12
snow report
glad to be of assistance! Very Happy have a good time in alpe d'huez
snow report
Any chance of an update on this thread - what folk think are the best sunglasses? I've lost my venerable Oakley Full Metal Jackets. I need my new pair for bright light only (I always wear goggles in flat light) in time for the birthday bash.

Also, anyone know about Eyewear Outlet? Their prices look almost too good to be true.
snow report
Dont know anything about that company - but the oakley prices aren't all that different to the Oakley outlet at Gunwharf Quays where I bought mine...

Alasdair
snow report
achilles, Seem good prices, and look trustworthy, at least they have a UK number. Not used them, but I am having a good look.
snow conditions
How cool are those Summit goggles!!!
snow conditions
Bought from EyewearOutlet in the past, no issues.
latest report
I prefer Bollé. They fit my face better than Oakley. I'm currently using Bollé Vitesse, but has the ASP before that.
snow conditions
Always put my Gold Iridium polarised lenses in my Half Jackets for skiing, can see better in them in flat light that with the Gold (non-polarized) goggles.
Anything lighter has me squinting all the time.
latest report
I've used A frames with gold iridium lenses in all conditions for years. i never use anything else. I find by the time the weather is bad enough for me to struggle to see, you cant see anything with anything else either no matter what lens you have!
ski holidays
I have a pair of half wire 2.0 in black but I don't wear them whilst skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got Oakley Wisdom goggles which have been discontinued for years but bar the original pair, I've bought all the spare lenses (and another frame) from eyewear outlet at silly prices and their service was always excellent.

I've got fire iridium for bluebird days and pink iridium for everything else. I've also got 3 unused persimmon lenses for when the flashy lenses get too scratched to extend the lifetime of my Wisdoms as sadly even eyewear outlet don't stock Wisdom lenses anymore.

To be honest though, I only got the iridium lenses because I like the way they look. I've been out in every condition in bog-standard persimmon lenses and found them at least adequate, just don't look straight at the sun!
snow conditions
My black Iridium Full Metal Jackets eventually snapped. Not sure if they can be fixed for free or reasonable price.
Tend to use persimmon A Frame goggles now (sunglasses and helmet look silly), in all weather conditions. More than suitable. Excellent values at £40 too, when in half price sale in the shop in Edinburgh whose name escapes me.
Have a pair of iirc black Iridium Half Jackets somewhere (no clue where, but I'd like to find them, since they're handy for al fresco lunch stops).
Use Uvex cheapo equivalent on the bike (black, persimmon, clear lenses), since they cost me nothing and don't care so much if they get fragged.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy