Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski selection for overweight newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick post back.

I've now done a week on the Volkl Kanjo's. First day was ropey as everything was new - boots, ski's, poles, resort....2nd day much better.

Had 3 hours of tuition from which the most important take away was the turning of the lead foot. Goodness what a difference. My ski's actually did what they are supposed to do after that! It was like the difference between backfoot and lead foot steering in snowboarding.

Long and the short of it, the ski's were brilliant. Felt planted, no flapping about or chattering. By day 6 I was relatively confidently skiing some harder blues and easy reds (Austria) with no snow ploughing at all really, unless I chose to. Whilst I might not be even a modestly good skier yet, I didnt once faff about, which is saying something, for me.

So whilst it was a pretty long journey to decide what to do and a LOT of hassle to go down to Bicester for boots and spend time ordering/assembling the gear as a whole, it was entirely worth it.

Added bonus was I spotted an Austrian instructor with the exact same ski's and pole as me, so I must have been half right in what I decided.

PS. A nod to everyone who said hiring was a decent option. In Austria, in Obergurgl, yes, if you can afford it. They had the latest and greatest gear for hire. Thats the first time I've seen something like that though, a 2000sqft shop with literally everything brand new or current season. Then again, the hire price was EUR40/day, whereas previously I'd experienced EUR70-90/week.

I'm going again next week and again two weeks later, so we'll see how I feel then. Posting this in case anyone is in a similar position and because nobody ever seems to post back when they say they will.. NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great result. Been watching with interest as I am same weight stats as you but unfortunately I found snowheads after I bought my skis
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gld you had fun snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy