Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best winter tyres 2018: tyre brands reviewed and UK prices compared

Poster: A snowHead
Ozboy wrote:
A notable improvement since replacing my summers with Cross Climates is I no longer experience front tyre skip in the now colder temperatures (e-class AWD). Ie. The summers would annoyingly skip when ever I turned a corner in full lock due to the summer compound hardening in the cold and momenterally losing grip as I accelerated (even gently) to get around the corner. This is no longer happening with the new all seasons compound.

This seems to be something of a Mercedes feature - the GLC does this so badly that All Season tyres have been supplied free of charge to owners who complained and All Season tyres are now supplied by default on that car.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slowboarder wrote:
Continental now recommends sticking with your wider tyre sizing in winter:

"It is a common misbelief that you shouldn’t use wide tires in winter. However, that is outdated. In fact, they offer a variety of benefits........"

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/wide-tires

Thanks for posting that, I have always used the same size winter and summers...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slowboarder wrote:
Continental now recommends sticking with your wider tyre sizing in winter:

"It is a common misbelief that you shouldn’t use wide tires in winter. However, that is outdated. In fact, they offer a variety of benefits........"

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/wide-tires

Sure there will be conditions that are better tackled with wider tyres e.g. fresh snow although fresh snow is generally not the problem, it's compacted snow and ice that typically causes problems in central europe.
You can't put snow chains on certain cars without going for narrower tyre as wheel arch clearance is restricted. This isn't restricted to sports cars.

Quote:
As for wide tyres, these only excel in deep snow, which is a surface that the average driver will rarely experience, if at all.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/wide-or-narrow-tyres-for-winter

Would be interesting to see a test with the same car using wide & narrow winter tyres though.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 31-10-18 16:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair, I should spend less time on ski forums and more time on Merc owners forum and could have got myself a free set of all-season tyres! 😄
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ozboy wrote:
@Alastair, I should spend less time on ski forums and more time on Merc owners forum and could have got myself a free set of all-season tyres! 😄

Voila
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/The-differences-between-16-17-and-18-Inch-winter-tyres.htm

This was meant as a reply to DB post
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mooney058 wrote:
Voila
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/The-differences-between-16-17-and-18-Inch-winter-tyres.htm

This was meant as a reply to DB post

Thanks, interesting only small differences in most areas although the respective tyres performed best where expected. The overall quality of the tyre looks to be more important than small differences in dimensions.

Over 10% difference between the smallest and largest tyres in the aquaplaning test. Shocked After hitting a patch of surface water/slush I've aquaplanned for a short distance on the motorway at speed in the winter. Most other instances you are traveling at low speed in winter conditions but motorway speeds of 60 mph+ are typical in the winter and thats where the fatality risk rather than just bent metal risk is greatest IMHO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Informative thread!

Convinced by the need for winter tyres (Audi A4 Quattro 2012, 245/40/R18) but unsure whether or not to go buy new wheels (225/55/R16) or just stick winters on the current wheels. Worried I'll not be able to get chains on on the larger tyres. Don't really think I'll be in the situation where I need them, but if the police are telling everyone to stick chains on I don't want to be stuck!

Any advice appreciated...

EDIT: Anyone used Goodride SW608 tyres?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@joe1890, with an Audi quatro you are not likely to need chains. If you do then it is quite likely the roads will be closed because of chaos. I would go for a smaller set in 16. I do the same on my xdrive - 19 size wheels for summers, 17 for winters!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@joe1890, Joe where are you driving to?

@mooney058 is right there and in any case authorities should not force you to mount chains if you have the snowflake + 3 mtn peaks marking on your winters.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@joe1890 - just had the same dilemma with golf gtd on 18" wheels. Pretty certain that chains (apart from maybe the £300+ special ones) wont fit as v little clearance. So I've gone for 16" wheels + winters. Small increase in clearance for emergency chains if gendarmes insist (prob not required with the winters in reality). Fringe benefit is these plumper tyres ride so much better across the rubbish Herefordshire/Glos roads (I must be getting old).

This place sells ex dealer VW/Audi stock and sometimes has wheels+tyres in - worth a try
https://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@joe1890, pretty sure that an Audi B8 platform only supports 17" wheels or less for snowchains. Your handbook will tell you though. Keep your 18" wheels and buy snowsocks instead of chains.

Use the money you save on buying wheels to buy some better tyres than those Goodrides - they came 15th out of 16 in the Autobild 2016 winter tyre test. Cheap winter tyres are not just false economy, they can be positively dangerous.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. On a slight budget so it's either 16" wheels and cheaper tyres as a set, or slightly better tyres on the existing wheels. From the sounds of it the tyre is the most important and quite honestly I really don't think with Quattro and winters I should get stuck!

@Ozboy, this year down to Les Deux Alpes, but also thinking longer term for the next few years that I want to have my bases covered.
@Raceplate, that's the info I currently have. Unless I buy the special snow chains that are £300 quid which is ridiculous!
@MHskier, thanks, I'll have a look into that!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just bought a set of Yokohama Winter Tyres. I have never used that brand before but the tyre centre told me that they were a good mid range tyre. Any opinions on Yokohama?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rumdiary, this brand is indeed ok as Japanese are familiar with snow.

However your question is equivalent to - “I have just bought Volkl skis - are they any good” Smile as reply really depends on a car and the specific model of tyres and the intended use. So assuming you bought the correct model suitable for your car and needs then it is indeed perfect Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rumdiary, I ran Yokohama W Drive winter tyres for a couple of years. They were fine. They were very reasonably priced but as I bought them not long after that Fuki ? power station went up I was half expecting them to glow a little green Laughing
ski holidays
Another complication can affect the choice between new wheels and tyres or just swapping tyres is the type of Tyre Pressure Monitoring System used. Cars with direct monitoring can require that you need new TPMS sensors in each wheel, cloned to match the original sensors and fitted to the same position as the tyres you are taking off. Cars with indirect monitoring can be OK but you should check before committing.
ski holidays
I'm using these, no complaints, had 2 snow filled adventures to Tignes with them and no problems at all

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92869/goodyear-vector-4seasons-gen-2
ski holidays
So, where's giving decent prices on a new set of winter tyres? ]
Looking to replace 4 Vredestein Wintracs.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, I got a new set of Nokian WR D4 from Oponeo a month or so ago. Very good price indeed; they had a fair range of brands.
latest report
@Inboard, cheers. Just sorting the order now.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, I have used Oponeo
latest report
Black circles for current car but the prices vary by so much, I guess depending on what their stock lines are holding etc.

Sometimes you luck into an excess supply just for your size, easier if you can just input your reg rather than specific details.
latest report
Just drove back to London from Chatel yesterday and had the opportunity to drive the Cross Climate's along snow covered roads in the village going down 10% gradients, over the Pas de Morgins and then over the Juras. It has snowed overnight down to around 800m. They were fine descending our access road in Chatel with no issues (although I was cautions). Excellent going over to Morgins where a few cars had stopped to put on chains, and felt solid on the wintery roads between Orbe and Besancon.
snow report
Got the best price for four Nokian WR D4 from Camskill who were very quick and efficient and arrived next day. Going on tomorrow and just in time looking at the forecast for here. My car has rather stupidly large wheels the purchase of which were a triumph of style over practicality and where the front and rear wheel are actually different sizes.

https://www.camskill.co.uk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy