Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
This weekend, the Dolomites are in between the High Pressure over Scandinavia and a Med depression to the South. Cold air remains in the mountains, a lot of sunshine is forecast and as the Atlantic pushes into the Northern Alps on Monday maybe a few localised flurries will cross South.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Time for a squiggly line diagram. This one is centred on Arabba.

Is it indicating snow around the 21st/22nd ??

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Val di fassa is it possible to walk from the top of Kristiania chair to the alba-col dei rossia cable car to get it down to Alba, thus avoiding the pecol-col dei rossi cable car? it looks like maybe 30m up a small slope.

Mrs Hobbiteater has a one cable car per day limit, i can bend to 2, but 3 is seriously pushing it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Temperature, wind and visibility forecast look good the next 7 days or so.

I'm sure those nice Alta Badeans and their neighbours the Kronplatians, are busy opening more slopes for this weekend. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Suprisingly theres snow currently falling in parts of ALta Badia. Looks very localised though and mainly showing on the COrvara, Colfosco, Arlara, Piz Sorega and Piz la Illa webcams. Virtually nothing falling in nearby Arraba and Santa Croce!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"is it possible to walk from the top of Kristiania chair" -- it is possible, but from memory, longer than 30m (100m?). Just make her walk it, then next time she will probably volunteer to take the cable car....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hobbiteater, Yes, but you have to be careful about the skiers coming towords you from Col dei Rossia. Look at the foto first down than up again!

May be link is better:

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.4748342,11.8024289,200m/data=!3m1!1e3

and go to sat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, & @Hyst, thanks Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead

and via @Hyst's link it is indeed 100m.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now up to 275 lifts open and 607kms of open skiing. Halfway point for the super Dolomiti area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hobbiteater,

This 360 view may give you a better idea

https://www.fassa.com/EN/Virtual-Skitour-360/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S wrote:
Now up to 275 lifts open and 607kms of open skiing. Halfway point for the super Dolomiti area.

Should most of the ski area be fully open for the new year week?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
looking at the webcams and the weather forecasts, i'd assume almost everything will be open on the week starting the 22nd. I suspect that right now they don't open more due to lack of customers rather than lack if snow (or lack of snow canons to be precise)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mini_mo, yes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JuanPlank wrote:
looking at the webcams and the weather forecasts, i'd assume almost everything will be open on the week starting the 22nd. I suspect that right now they don't open more due to lack of customers rather than lack if snow (or lack of snow canons to be precise)

I hope its this. I dont see many punters on the slopes on San Pellegrino webcams. And the cannons are belting it out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This was Christmas 2016, not a single flake of natural snow below 2000m.
EVERY aerial lift was open (except hidden valley)
NEARLY ALL routes were open, some of the variantes were closed but there was always at least one run (ie if there was run 10a and 10b then either 10a or b would be open)

snow conditions
Now reporting 317 lifts open out of 452. And 684kms open out of a total of 1200.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en
snow conditions
Some of the weather sites suggest some snow coming later this week in the Dolomites. Experts care to have their say on the probability?
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
Some of the weather sites suggest some snow coming later this week in the Dolomites. Experts care to have their say on the probability?

Keep an eye on this local forecast, it's usually reliable.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/en/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

It only goes out to Wed, looking pretty dry. Other forecasts are suggesting something for Thursday. I notice Bergfex currently has it too.

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/

This coming week looks like a set of troughs and ridges driven off the Atlantic by the Jet Stream, mostly benefiting the North West Alps. On Thursday it looks like one undercuts the Alps and develops a bit of a Genoa low which may benefit the Italian side and is likely what the forecasts are picking up on.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2
snow report
hobbiteater wrote:
This was Christmas 2016, not a single flake of natural snow below 2000m.
EVERY aerial lift was open (except hidden valley)
NEARLY ALL routes were open, some of the variantes were closed but there was always at least one run (ie if there was run 10a and 10b then either 10a or b would be open)

There's no reason to believe it won't be similar or better in terms of piste skiing possibilities this Xmas.

There was that heavy rain in the Alpine at the end of October that would have replenished the snowmaking reservoirs. Since then, there's been snow down to valley levels, which even now means that roofs and hillsides in the villages are mostly white. The recent cold weather will have allowed the cannons to do their job building the piste depth.
snow report
sbooker wrote:

Eurosport commentator said, during the Alta Badia GS coverage, that snow was expected tonight..!
snow conditions
albob wrote:
sbooker wrote:

Eurosport commentator said, during the Alta Badia GS coverage, that snow was expected tonight..!

There was some forecast for today along the Austrian border and this local forecast for S Tyrol says very light snowfall possible tomorrow?? http://weather.provinz.bz.it/mountain-weather.asp

It did certainly cloud over a bit in the afternoon https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c4936/

Every little helps! snowHead
snow report
This might help illustrate current conditions...

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60458#p5181204

Reports from this weekend in Val Gardena & Carezza ski areas. Pistes look in great condition, between the pistes is mostly covered depending on altitude/aspect of slope. Looking good for mid-Dec!
snow report
At last some snow forecast in the shorter term forecasts I look at for San Pellegrino for Wed/Thurs. Only a dusting but every little but helps.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
At last some snow forecast in the shorter term forecasts I look at for San Pellegrino for Wed/Thurs. Only a dusting but every little but helps.

On the current forecast charts, Wed/Thu will be the last of any snow for a while. Looking dry thereafter into the new year.
latest report
jimmybog wrote:
ster wrote:

On the current forecast charts, Wed/Thu will be the last of any snow for a while. Looking dry thereafter into the new year.

Oh dear... although I thought they could only forecast snow a few days ahead? It seems that the Northern Alps has quite a lot of snow above 2000m but lower than that it's suffering with quite a bit of rain, whereas although the Dolomites has had a few dustings of snow, most of it is artificial. What worries me is what it's like skiing on mostly artificial snow in the Dolomites? I know their snow production is far better than Northern Alps due to low humidity so I am hoping all will be ok. It certainly looks snowy enough on the webcams but appreciate if it doesn't snow for a while then we will be skiing on strips of snow!
snow report
@mini_mo, the quality of artificial snow, piste grooming and management in the Dolomites all very good.

Of course it would be great to have some decent natural snowfall but I wouldn’t worry too much.
snowHead
latest report
mini_mo wrote:
jimmybog wrote:
ster wrote:

Oh dear... although I thought they could only forecast snow a few days ahead? It seems that the Northern Alps has quite a lot of snow above 2000m but lower than that it's suffering with quite a bit of rain, whereas although the Dolomites has had a few dustings of snow, most of it is artificial. What worries me is what it's like skiing on mostly artificial snow in the Dolomites? I know their snow production is far better than Northern Alps due to low humidity so I am hoping all will be ok. It certainly looks snowy enough on the webcams but appreciate if it doesn't snow for a while then we will be skiing on strips of snow!

It's a whole lot better than skiing on bare earth because the rain has washed the snow away!! Shocked

This December in the Dolomites looks a whole lot nicer than leaner years when the areas between the pistes were still brown into January. As long as you only want piste skiing, it will be fine. Madeye-Smiley

You really don't want bad weather in the Dolomites, it only spoils the views and the lazy lunches on a sunny terrace!! Cool
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
You really don't want bad weather in the Dolomites, it only spoils the views and the lazy lunches on a sunny terrace!! Cool

+1000
NOW you're talkin bro!! La dolce vita Razz
Blimmin snowfall blocks out the lovely sunshine Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AL9000 wrote:

Blimmin snowfall blocks out the lovely sunshine Cool Cool Cool

Ah yes, but then it reduces the crowds. Had one of my favourite ever days skiing in ALta badia during a snowfall. Fresh snow, hardly anyone on the pistes, hardly anyone in the mountain huts, no lift queues; Fantastic!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
one of my favourites days skiing was any and all of the ones in the dolomites Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
Now reporting 800kms open and 342 lifts operational.
snow report
mini_mo wrote:

"....What worries me is what it's like skiing on mostly artificial snow in the Dolomites? I know their snow production is far better than Northern Alps due to low humidity so I am hoping all will be ok. It certainly looks snowy enough on the webcams but appreciate if it doesn't snow for a while then we will be skiing on strips of snow!

Don't worry :: I was in Selva during January of 2016. There was no natural snow, just strips of artificial. Skiing on the strips was fine, I couldn't tell the difference !
However, the brown slope sides did detract from the experience somewhat
snow report
albob wrote:
mini_mo wrote:

"....What worries me is what it's like skiing on mostly artificial snow in the Dolomites? I know their snow production is far better than Northern Alps due to low humidity so I am hoping all will be ok. It certainly looks snowy enough on the webcams but appreciate if it doesn't snow for a while then we will be skiing on strips of snow!

Don't worry :: I was in Selva during January of 2016. There was no natural snow, just strips of artificial. Skiing on the strips was fine, I couldn't tell the difference !
However, the brown slope sides did detract from the experience somewhat

That’s what worries me as much as not being able to ski. It needs to feel like winter! I am being picky though, after all if it's constantly snowing or raining or high winds there's no skiing at all! Laughing
ski holidays
I’m in Corvara this week and the pistes are very good, especially in the morning. Well-bashed and plenty of snow being made. Not as brown as we expected (having skiied on strips of white before), feels very Christmassy and the slopes are very quiet. Went to watch the Parallel Giant Slalom last night - very exciting stuff, and the children loved it. Might have to make it an annual visit....
snow conditions
And we are back in Selva, enjoying great early-season conditions for piste skiing. Everything looks white and wintry, with sunshine and perfect visibility. For this type of skiing (family with young kids) I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be. Yesterday, a leisurely clockwise Sella Ronda with a few add-ons where the sun/snow was best. Today we watched a little of the women’s World Cup downhill on the Saslong before enjoying perfect sunny skiing on the long wide piste at Seceda, and all the way down La Longia to Ortisei after lunch at the Baita Daniel Hutte. Just perfect...
ski holidays
@SkiPenguin, and @IanTr, sounds perfect thanks for the updates. Can't wait. We are a very mixed group of abilities (16 of us) but love everything about the Dolomites!
latest report
Snow is falling gently here in Selva Val Gardena.
ski holidays
IanTr wrote:

excellent... snowHead
ski holidays
IanTr wrote:

Pics would be delicious...pleeeze snowHead
latest report
https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy