Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
Yet again this season, the south side of the alps is the place to be for the good weather and the open runs. Despite the wind it looks like virtually all the runs and lifts are open Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Overnight snowfall of 10 to 15 cm transformed the Alta Badia. Was a bit snowy till 10 am then bright sunshine all day. Bit windy over by Arabba so we chose to cruise the blues and reds above Corvara and San Cassiano for our last day here. Coffee and Linzer torte followed by lunch feast at La Para which has a real sun trap terrace.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As Gufo says, overnight snow turned Selva into a winter wonderland until about 3pm anyway! Slopes were mixed, by lunchtime there was some serious slushy spring snow, felt like skiing through treacle at points. Higher up the pistes were in good nick, had a great last day, did the Saslong and then over to Seceda for the long run down to Ortisei. Absolutely stunning, much nicer than the hidden valley in my opinion!

Will post a trip report and some pictures over the weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S wrote:
Yet again this season, the south side of the alps is the place to be for the good weather and the open runs. Despite the wind it looks like virtually all the runs and lifts are open Very Happy

There were warnings today that the Sella Ronda lifts may close due to wind and to stay in your respective towns but I don't think any were closed in the end.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
8-10cm fresh on the car in Varena, Val di Fiemme at 1200m this morning.

-2°C at 8am at 1200m, and 0°C at 800m (the lowest we're going this morning) so at least some new snow to all skiing levels. Stilll snowing moderately, but forecast to tail off over the next few hours.

Pity we're going home today... except we have a few hours to enjoy it before driving to the airport Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a pity you have to leave as anyone there this week should have some great conditions, if maybe a bit slushy later in the day. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed it lasts as it looks like it’s going to get pretty warm towards the end of the week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
olderscot wrote:
I’m just keeping my fingers crossed it lasts as it looks like it’s going to get pretty warm towards the end of the week.

Same here - we are off to Selva on Saturday for a week. It does look better than a couple of years ago at the same time. We were in Badia ( Pedraces ) and the lifts closed there mid week, but that did not stop us having a great time and plenty of skiing was had. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@olderscot, to be honest I don't think 10 cm is enough to make a big difference to the pistes, especially as it's getting warm. It was already melting off sunny aspects by late morning.

Look at the webcams in two days time and it will be back to the same as last week.

Having said that, conditions are fine anyway - no lack of snow on the runs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today was luvverly - blue 5b above Corvara only had 4 tracks on it around 4pm.... Temp hovered around 0 most of the day and dropping again tonight Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone in Cortina or Canazei please?

Thinking of a cheeky week starting this coming Saturday and looking for on the snow feedback.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied Arabba & Alta Badia today (Mar 22) and can’t think of a reason for you not to do it. Typical spring conditions, great coverage on piste...their snowmaking extent is unbelievable. Suggest a short mid-morning break and keep skiing during the golden hour; save the sit down lunch for 1pm or later when it’s getting bumpy. Off piste there was nice corn; definitely thin coverage but basically turf underneath and fun when the pistes are bumped out. As Warren Miller said: if you don’t go now, you’ll just be a year older next year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dry air (good) and pretty much all runs open. The scenery and the food will be as perfect as ever.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks both.

Heading out in the am
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived in Selva early this afternoon and its scorchio! But boy has it been good to see the sun after all the past few weeks at home. Can't wait for tomorrow, will be up and away early to get the best of the conditions, which I am sure will be excellent snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely scorchio today. Very soft snow from the start although really only slushy in the afternoon at the bottom of the slopes. This was the first time ever I had to ski though a small river at the end of 8 coming into Corvara.

Temperatures hit 18-20C according to the lift stations but tomorrow looks like being 10C colder which should be just about perfect.

A lovely day to be out in the dolomites. But then there aren’t many days that aren’t.
latest report
Same in Cortina.

Top of Tofane area was primo all day.
snow report
A bit cooler today, after a bright start the clouds gathered and temperatures dropped. Some flat light which did not help in the chopped up areas later in the afternoon. Looks like being cooler again tomorrow but sunny. We are planning a trip to cinque tori but not sure of the best route from Selva - any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.
ski holidays
I’ve not done the cinque torri so can’t help much. If skiing I’d imagine it’s head for to Corvara then up Col Alt and across and down to Armentarola and then 6 euro bus to Lagazuoi. Someone else might know the exact details.

We did the Hidden Valley run today and there was no queue for the bus or the cable car up to the top. There was no horse and cart tow today, it looks like there just not enough snow left for them to run it, so had to take a taxi back at the end. Just 3 euro each and very quick and efficient.

There’s a bit of a difference between the forecasts for tomorrow. Bergfex says bloody cold and very windy. Snow-forecast and BBC say colder but not too bad. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the latter. Smile
snow report
Forecast came true; kept trying to take off the balaclava but ended the day with it on. Snow stayed hard on most pistes until noon, some later. Quite windy; sign in Arabba said due to winds, return (to other villages) not guaranteed. Full sun all day. Love it here but saw numerous otherwise good skiers going side to side. Share the road, people!
snow report
Much cooler in Cortina.

Hard pistes until well after lunch

Sunny, fast & fun.
snow report
Just got back. Col Alt route taken and we were at the Lagazuoi cable car in an hour and a ½. No queues for taxi or cable car. Cinque Torri was fabulous on a nice sunny, not too cold and not very windy day.
snow conditions
Much cooler today as everyone has said but probably my favourite of the last three days. We’re sad to be heading home tomorrow but were struck by how much snow there is on the pistes and with one or two exceptions there’s easily enough snow to last until the end of the season.

The forecast is looking great for the next few days. Enjoy!
ski holidays
I'm interested to know how much natural snow has fallen in the dolomites this year, I've been watching the forecast a lot and don't remember any heavy snowfalls all season? Except maybe november or was that western italy only?

Maybe I'm wrong now
latest report
8611 wrote:
I'm interested to know how much natural snow has fallen in the dolomites this year, I've been watching the forecast a lot and don't remember any heavy snowfalls all season? Except maybe november or was that western italy only?

Maybe I'm wrong now

Was about a metre fell in Arabba at the start of the BB
snow conditions
They haven't had a great deal of natural snow this year, even by Dolomite standards.

However their business model relies on (pretty much) 100% snowmaking. With only one and half weeks of the season left (4 weeks at Kronplatz) they have over a metre of snow on the pistes, which should easily see the season out.

I imagine they will be reflecting on a good season with almost all runs and most lifts open since New Year and perhaps more sunny days than normal.

There have been windy days with some of the connecting lifts closed but I don't think there have been any late starts or stormbound days. A reliable place for a weeks ski holiday.
snow report
We were Saiser Alm for the last two weeks and were so impressed with piste maintenance and the early start we could make with the chair lifts running in quite a few cases at 8.30.
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
8611 wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong now

Was about a metre fell in Arabba at the start of the BB

What is start of the BB?

No I know it relies heavily on snow cannons I'm just interested this year to observe how little has fallen. Will have to check the stats relative to other areas.
snow report
@8611, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137991

I shall limit myself to just one of these rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah birthday bash, sorry, I remember PSB but not BB.

Arabba a good choice too, I only passed through on the sella ronda but those blacks off to skiers right going counter clockwise were great. Want to go back some time for sure.

A meter of snow up there would have been great, so many chutes off the big mountain (the sella I presume?) If you had a guide
snow report
Peter S wrote:
They haven't had a great deal of natural snow this year, even by Dolomite standards.

However their business model relies on (pretty much) 100% snowmaking. With only one and half weeks of the season left (4 weeks at Kronplatz) they have over a metre of snow on the pistes, which should easily see the season out.

Maybe up high, but village level in Cortina and the base stations I hit yesterday on the Sella Ronda are less than 50cm.

If the rain and warm temps forecast for Sunday-Tuesday materialise then skiing back to the car park will be out of the question before season's end.
latest report
@Mike Pow, got any of your lovely pics? (One can never have too many photos of the Dolomites!)
snow report
Fantastic piste conditions Cortina - Cinque Torre - Hidden Valley and back today (28 March).

Only real slush was end of Hidden Valley for 100m and last stretch back to Socrepes.
snow report
Just finished a lovely week in corvara. They have done a great job with the pistes given the temperature.

One question for the regulars, looking at coming the 4th of April next year (Easter holidays) how much busier isn't likely to be.

This week has been really quiet dont think I have queued for more than a minute.
latest report
It was really quiet this week, we didn't explore very far but I don't think we had to queue anywhere. It was always straight onto a chairlift / cabin, usually all by ourselves.

I'd say the week of 4th of April next year is going to be pretty quiet next year (as long as it's open, this year it closes on the 7th April, last year it was the 8th April, in 2017 it was the 2nd April). As far as I can tell, Easter is always quieter than half-term and even at half term it's not that bad (apart from when it clashes with fasching / carnivale).

I wouldn't go booking my flights for 4th April next year until I'd seen the season dates.
latest report
Thanks for that. The season dates I found said 14th was the closing date but I will double check!
latest report
Just back from Selva after a wonderful week. What a job those guys do to maintain the pistes especially with it being so warm most of the week. We finished yesterday by doing the Sella Ronda both ways. 2.5 hours on the orange route and 3 hours on the green, 3 times seems possible but not on my old legs snowHead
latest report
I've always wondered if it could be done twice, you're throwing the gauntlet down suggesting 3 times!
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Mike Pow, got any of your lovely pics? (One can never have too many photos of the Dolomites!)

Took a bunch.

Just back.

Will post a TR soon Smile
ski holidays
Again the dry air (well below 50% humidity) is retarding snow loss despite temperatures up to 15c. Compare that to the single digit but saturated air in western Scotland this last week which has seen the loss of quite a lot of snow, although that has stabilised now.
ski holidays
Anybody tried the starlight room 360 in the Cibque Torri?

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy