Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
@Casa Alfredino, Well, at least I won't have to worry about being cold.

Or skiing off-piste. We're there starting the 23rd.

Time to break out the GS piste skis.

I think we were spoiled last year with a couple of mid-week 15 cm dumps.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest it's not been a great offpiste year anyway - not much snow until a couple of weeks ago and not much since either. Unless you're willing to hike and skitour...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are arriving on the 23rd too. Hope it won't look too brown..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@FrequentFaller, looking at Larceunei webcam, I fear that it will...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like it will be tee shirt skiing.. Which is a contrast to our trip this time last year that got down to -20c
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@FrequentFaller, @FrequentFaller, All in all would prefer the T-shirt! I actually like spring conditions, especially in Italy. Thinking to bring the sunblock.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FrequentFaller wrote:
We are arriving on the 23rd too. Hope it won't look too brown..

Quite common for South facing valley level hillsides to look brown late February onwards in the Dolomites.

Shouldn't have any issues with snow level on the piste though. Val gardena reporting 79cm at valley level and 142cm on the mountain.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll be out tomorrow on piste so will report back how conditions are.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pistes are in perfect condition, Wall to wall sunshine. The exceptionally dry air is preserving the snow. The runs actually improved through the week and were excellent to begin with. South facing slopes are softening slightly during the day as the snow off piste gradually transforms into spring snow.

Very impressed by Kronplatz. The run down to Reid is approaching 5 miles and the whole area being very modern has some of the widest best groomed slopes I’ve experienced in 50 years. And what about those blacks! Silvester is astonishingly good and Piculin is just crazy, with one pitch approaching 72degrees. Shocked

Heard a lot more English spoken on the slopes this year. The word is getting out Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 21-02-19 14:25; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, Awesome, can't wait. Hope snow holds up through the week of the 23rd...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Looks like this this morning. Toofy Grin
From our hotel room Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It looks great there now. Am heading in 2 weeks myself, are we likely to be looking at strips of pistes covered with uncovered rock everywhere beside it?
I’ve never ski’d this late in the year before, worried it won’t look natural at all. Panoramic views of rocks etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@colly10, There is a reasonable coverage of snow at the moment - should still be there in two weeks.. (might be a bit 'heavy' in the PM)

You can get a "Panoramic views of rocks.." any time of year -- I had it in January '17...… Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, thanks, wasn’t sure what 2 weeks of sun would do to it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slopes in great condition. No slush even at mid/ late afternoon.
ski holidays
Forecast looks very good this week. Perhaps a stronger breeze by Friday.

Humidity currently only 25% in Canazei. This is preserving the snow despite a temperature of 12.6C.
ski holidays
Sunny and very dry air. Everything open. Pretty much perfect Dolomite conditions. Cool

Next 7 days more of the same though getting windier from tomorrow.
ski holidays
@Peter S, thanks. Looking forward to next week, hope the wind turns out less than forecast!
snow conditions
Out on Saturday, hoping it won't be too brown.. I know the pistes will be fine but I still love the winter wonderland look. Also we usually all take gopro's and the edit looks so much better with white everywhere..
snow conditions
What a lovely week that was. Wall to all sunshine and great piste conditions. Only a few bits of slush/ hardpack at the end of the day (eg The long reds to Meida in Val di Fassa and Dantercëpies).
latest report
pjd wrote:
What a lovely week that was. Wall to all sunshine and great piste conditions. Only a few bits of slush/ hardpack at the end of the day (eg The long reds to Meida in Val di Fassa and Dantercëpies).

Yep, pretty amazing how the snow seemed to preserve despite the very mild weather. Perfect conditions for getting a tan and seeing the views. Some young guys were stripped to the waist on the restaurant terrace at Passo San Pellegrino on Wed. Snow stayed remarkably good, just a few places where the sun gets to it was it hard in AM, then soft in PM, but it was still squeaking on the shady parts of the home run into Alleghe later in the week. Sunny valley sides are showing brown grassy patches as the snow slowly retreats.
snow report
I'd never experienced. anything like it in February last week. It was like skiing in April. a few bare patches appearing off piste below 1600m but the pistes remained fine, if a little slushy after lunch. It was like April skiing. I quite enjoyed it.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Pistes are in perfect condition, Wall to wall sunshine. The exceptionally dry air is preserving the snow. The runs actually improved through the week and were excellent to begin with. South facing slopes are softening slightly during the day as the snow off piste gradually transforms into spring snow.

Very impressed by Kronplatz. The run down to Reid is approaching 5 miles and the whole area being very modern has some of the widest best groomed slopes I’ve experienced in 50 years. And what about those blacks! Silvester is astonishingly good and Piculin is just crazy, with one pitch approaching 72degrees. Shocked

Heard a lot more English spoken on the slopes this year. The word is getting out Very Happy

Was out last week too, mostly heard Russion being spoken, normally very loudly Sad
snow report
Plenty of Poles, Czechs, Slovaks. Fewer Russians, I think, than in past years.

....and the English abroad are not renowned for being softspoken Blush
snow report
Many Dutch here this week it seems....

Colfosco edelweiss valley really slushy bumps in the afternoon, this morning we skied the dantercepies side and runs above self a which seemed to be in good nick considering conditions. The top of the saslong was good. The run off the backside of belvedere heading to Arabba also good.
snow report
Just got back on Saturday, I'd echo what has already been said. Pistes are generally very good, heavier in the afternoon certainly. If you catch it wrong some pistes can then harden up on the way back at the end of the day.

Looking at the forecast this week it seems as if it will get warmer. Fingers crossed for everyone that it is not as warm as predicted.
snow conditions
Very warm here, hero snow until about 1330 then getting heavy. Friday looks like normal temperatures, around 2 f. Thursday predected to be 9-10 in ValG.
snow report
The forecast from next Wednesday/Thursday onwards is for quite a bit of snowfall for the following 5 days or so. And I'm off to Civetta on Friday, March 8 Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Friday could see a bit of precipitation but will likely be rain at sub 2000 meters. Today was very balmy (11 deg) below 1800 m, as in a blast of warm air.
latest report
Yes, possibly a little rain below 1700m (I reckon) on Friday. Nothing significant though. A few opportunities for snow next week, but at the moment looks like they'll mainly be affecting the north side of the Alpine ridge. Hopefully all of the Dolomites should get at least a few centimetres though - perhaps more near the Austrian border.

Temperatures also finally forecast to drop towards average for the time of year next week. Just need to get through a few more mild days first.

Anyone out there: how are lower pistes / runs without snowmaking doing at present?
ski holidays
@denfinella, hard to say, here in Val Gardena every run has snow cannons, but the snow level is up around 1800 m -- 90% brown below that. So any run without snowmaking at this point wouldn't be open. It was 11 (!!) today. Everything below 2000 was pretty much oatmeal by 1300 except for spots in the shade. We hit the Saslong first thing in the am today and it was spectacularly grippy snow, maybe 30 minutes of corn before it got cut up...
latest report
@denfinella, Im heading out to Arabba on Friday, ill let you know how its running Happy
snow report
We are based in Santa Christina this week and it's so hot. Runs that we were screaming down last year are now awful by the afternoon. Any steep runs on the sella Ronda circuit are moguled by 11am with hundreds of people struggling to get down. Coming down the Sasslong at the end of the day is a massive ordeal and not fun (for me anyway). I've also never experienced my skis suddenly being griped like you've run onto one of those mats to stop you at the chair lift. I guess that must be the wetness of the snow.
Looks like another very hot day today and I for one will knock it on the head at midday and head for the nearest bar.
The weather changes tonight and starts to cool with the promise of light snow.
For those coming out next week you'll be ok because the pistes will still be ok'ish and with cooler temps it there will be less chop.
latest report
@Pasigal, thanks for the detailed update. Fortunately the Dolomites are pretty much the best place to be with thin natural snow cover, given how much snowmaking there is. Nevertheless, 1800m is a pretty high natural snow line, particularly for February. We're out in Val di Fiemme next month and there are a few areas where snowmaking is less comprehensive than the Sella Ronda, such as Passo Rolle, Jochgrimm, San Martino and the long Innermorati piste above Falcade. Hopefully most of this will stay open.

@PaulC1984, looking forward to your report.

@FrequentFaller, I know what you mean about the sudden grippy / sticky snow. We've experienced it in Scotland a few times and occasionally in the Alps. It can be very disconcerting!

Snow should firm up when temperatures drop over the next few days, regardless of how much new snow falls. Smile
snow conditions
Will be interesting to see if they feel the need to make any more snow this year. I get the impression that by January most years they usually have enough depth on the runs to last the whole season ?
ski holidays
Isn't there a shedload of snow on its way from next Wednesday?
snow report
@Ignatius, on the latest forecasts... no. The Dolomites are too far south to catch the heavier falls. Should still get a bit, particularly in the northern Dolomites, though may fall as rain in some of the lower resorts.
snow conditions
Larciunei (selva nursery slopes) webcam showing 3.2 degrees today - big drop from the 12 degrees of yesterday !

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 1-03-19 14:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The week ahead on Bergfex predicts that the Dolomites will be sunnier, drier and a bit cooler than everywhere else in the Alps.

Business as usual snowHead
snow report
Today was sort of the downside of lots of manmade snow...temperatures dropped about 10 degrees, so yesterday's slush was today's granular, which got scraped off pretty well in a lot of places around Selva today. A few flurries about but no accumulations. Still, we had 5/6 days of good to excellent piste conditions, plus skiing in sunglasses and baselayer/softshell...so no complaints.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy