Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
jimmybog wrote:
Anyway, going to be a first experience for me as its looking quite cold next week. Never once skied when its been really cold. Not sure what to expect really?

Expect more frequent Rifugio stops for hot chocolate or similar...... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jimmybog - you will be fine. I skied Alta badia today, it looks to have had more snow than selva yesterday. Didn't ski it all, but never noticed any closed slopes. The recent snow has covered any 'brown' bits. I don't ski off-piste, but it was apparent some people had...
Temps are still well below (-5/-7) : sunny blue skies
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did a loop of the road today, conditions were perfect.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:
Jimmybog - you will be fine. I skied Alta badia today, it looks to have had more snow than selva yesterday. Didn't ski it all, but never noticed any closed slopes. The recent snow has covered any 'brown' bits. I don't ski off-piste, but it was apparent some people had...
Temps are still well below (-5/-7) : sunny blue skies

Thanks albob, good to hear!! Im fretting far too much. Think im just a little jealous of the snow in austria!! Still, i cant wait to get out there!! Need my bombardino fix
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One little bit of advice I'd give to anyone heading out there is that while the cold conditions and sunshine aren't a problem in themselves, the wind chill factor can can cause a few 'flipping eck" moments on some of the chairlifts. Something like a snood to protect your lower face is definitely a good idea.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmybog wrote:
Think im just a little jealous of the snow in austria!!

Be careful what you wish for!! wink

I was in Austria a couple of weeks ago during Snowmageddon, almost constant light snowfall, flat light, poor vis, cold and biting winds at times, along with dire avalanche warnings. We saw the sun one day only. I was in a group with some second-weekers who found all of that very challenging, on good days we managed 13km of skiing. It was probably the least amount of skiing I've ever done since the week I first learnt, not a patch on my sunny Dolomite weeks in previous years where I've done well over 200km (30+km per day) on perfectly groomed pistes.

Thick powder is great if you're a snowboarder or a skier with the right equipment and skills to exploit it, but for one-week-a-year recreational piste skiers, a calm sunny week on groomed pistes is a better option.

I'd rather take a week in current conditions for my Dolomite week at Feb half-term rather than a repeat of what we had in Austria in early Jan.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 25-01-19 11:43; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking ahead, Bergfex are still forecasting some snow for Sunday night/Mon morning, just a 4cm top-dressing to keep the surface fresh, but always welcome!

https://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/berg/

ARPAV are almost concurring, calling for stormy snow on Sat over northern peaks and some scattered snow showers early on Monday down to 700-900m

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 25-01-19 11:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting data on ARPAV regarding the storm event in late Oct 2018 which cause a lot of flooding in Venice & N Italy, it also gave the Dolomite peaks a good bit of sugar icing.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/storico/evento1/Mappa_PREC.htm

Seems that it started falling pretty consistently mid-morning on the 27th through to nightfall on 28th, then restarted in earnest at dawn on 29th and carried on well into the evening, at times very heavy. The data for the Pordoi Pass measuring station shows around 21mm of precipitation fell in an hour between 6 & 7pm on the evening of the 29th. At that altitude or certainly on the Sella range above it was likely snow, so possibly converting to 21cm or over 8 inches in an hour!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@luigi, interesting, thanks, quite extreme rainfall in such a short time!

We read at the time of signicant damage to infrastructure, roads, electric cables, trees and so on. Also heavy flooding and damage to buildings in villages and towns.

As it was less than 3 months ago there must still be effects of that and I wonder if anyone has any news on how the recovery is progressing?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeakyB, every thing seems to be working fine. The only thing I have seen are several areas where many trees have been flattened....

Very cold today (-12). The actual pistes are in very good condition. Heavily trafficked areas are icy in the PM. The 'red alternative' from the top of Ciampinoi (under the bubble) is treacherous!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Noza just posted the 06z GFS 180h accumulation chart on the main weather thread. It obviously favours the West, but there are some nice hotspots in the South too...

On the 06z ensembles chart, it looks like we may be lucky tomorrow night and late on Wed, then maybe more on Fri into the weekend...

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87

The Bergfex ECM-based forecast is agreeing, which is a good sign...

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A few decent snow spikes showing up on the GEFS model beginning with the next 24 hrs, then the 31st and then a potentially big one on the 2nd. Hope that’s not too disruptive snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The wepowder forecast would be amazing for the BB if it came off... big dump then clear skies !!

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing tonight in corvara, easily between 5 to 8cm so far. Pistes today definitely dont need any fresh snow. Never skied on such grippy Pistes before. Run from edelweiss in colfosco was a bit softer than others as was the steeper section just above the mid way point of the plans frara gondola. Didn't seem particularly busy on the sella ronda section in colfosco. The main area above corvara, san cassiano and la villa was almost deserted. I was absolutely shocked. It was far busier on my last trip in mid March. I am glad of the snowfall tonight as it will give the area a nice winter look. Quite a bit of it around pralongia area does look a bit sad with lots of grass showing. However as i said earlier, the pistes were superb. Ill try and report more in the next few days
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jimmybog wrote:
Snowing tonight in corvara, easily between 5 to 8cm so far. Pistes today definitely dont need any fresh snow. Never skied on such grippy Pistes before. Run from edelweiss in colfosco was a bit softer than others as was the steeper section just above the mid way point of the plans frara gondola. Didn't seem particularly busy on the sella ronda section in colfosco. The main area above corvara, san cassiano and la villa was almost deserted. I was absolutely shocked. It was far busier on my last trip in mid March. I am glad of the snowfall tonight as it will give the area a nice winter look. Quite a bit of it around pralongia area does look a bit sad with lots of grass showing. However as i said earlier, the pistes were superb. Ill try and report more in the next few days

All good news for any heading out soon!

Do you think it could be quiet because many of the Germans haven't bothered t drive over the border and are stopping in Austria to enjoy the bountiful snowcover there this year? Puzzled
snow report
Luigi, you may be spot on. Compared to my previous trip, there seem to be fewer germans that i have noticed. The majority of people here seem to be italian. What was very strange was the very few ski schools as well. I expected colfosco to be rammed with them. But we barely saw any.
snow report
The ski schools mainly run on weekdays. I’d expect there to be plenty of them around Colfosco today as the nice wide and gentle slopes make it one of their favourite spots for the first day of group lessons.
snow report
I've been having a browse of the Cortina piste map and it appears that the small Mietres sector has been removed / closed. Ditto for the lift and run up to Forcella Staunies. Is this correct?
latest report
Sadly the Staunies lift has been closed for a couple of years now. Although the run under the top section was almost never open, even the bottom half was one of the most spectacular pistes anywhere - and great fun to ski. The view was amazing as the old slow chair rose up very close to vertical rock towers, several hundred feet high. I don't know of any plans to replace it.

There are, however, still a couple of 4 man chairs with nice cruising runs on the lower slopes of Cristallo.

Mietres was always a pretty inconsequential area - used mainly as a nursery progression area.
snow report
Looks like snowmaggedon next weekend with the normally conservative Bergfex predicting 70cm plus for Arabba!
snow conditions
pjd wrote:
Looks like snowmaggedon next weekend with the normally conservative Bergfex predicting 70cm plus for Arabba!

All the weather sites seem to be saying a similar thing now ... bit on Weds and then a huge dump Fri/ Sat...

I predict the BB thread is likely to go into meltdown shortly... Laughing
snow report
@Skeet, thanks. Shame about the Staunies lift.
snow report
@pjd, Fear not, the Dolomites will receive only a small fraction of the predicted total, if form holds true this year.
ski holidays
@sheffskibod, very likely. Toofy Grin The excitement is building even more now, with that forecast. snowHead
ski holidays
time for a 'squiggly'..... Wink :: First and Second of Feb looks good

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 28-01-19 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Beat me to it Very Happy
snow report
@Peter S, Smile -- trouble is, I've had my holiday !
snow report
I'm heading out with my son on Sunday for a week, hopefully the forecast snow will be just in time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies for today's late update. Yes all the ski schools were out today in colfosco. Busier on the sella ronda thro colfosco as well today. We quickly went across to the corvara/la villa side. Also busier in this section today but still relatively quiet. Snow perhaps not quite as good as yesterday due to the overnight snow. Very grippy snow, quite slow on the less steeper sections. Still chilly especially on the chairs. Area looks much better now with the fresh snow. Sunshine is hard to come by currently and will probably continue to be next few days with more snow forecast. Done 9a run today from pranlongia to san cassiano. Wow what a run. Fantastic!!!
snow report
Bergfex currently forecasting about 1m of snow at mountain level in Corvara over the next 5-6 days.

It's still a bit far out to be certain quite what's going to happen but it's looking good.
snow report
Loving the look of the forecasts, am glued as all the different ones are beginning to agree that there will be a serious dump, we go on the 9th so should make for fantastic conditions
snow conditions
Holly101 wrote:
Loving the look of the forecasts, am glued as all the different ones are beginning to agree that there will be a serious dump, we go on the 9th so should make for fantastic conditions

Ooh, me too. Very Happy
ski holidays
Is Corvara as good a place as any as a base for access to the Sella Ronda circuit around 20th March?
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, Yes. We always stay in Corvara and find it really quite central. It's quick to access Cinque Torre etc., Marmolada.
ski holidays
We're leaving for Corvara on Sunday. Very excited now.
latest report
Could be wet snow / rain at lower levels during according to Bergfex... Puzzled

Squiggly lines back that up.

Certainly quite a rapid rise in temps on the cards ...is this likely to be correct ? (need someone with more knowledge)...

snow report
sheffskibod wrote:
Could be wet snow / rain at lower levels during according to Bergfex... Puzzled

Squiggly lines back that up.

Certainly quite a rapid rise in temps on the cards ...is this likely to be correct ? (need someone with more knowledge)...

Should snow at village level in the dolomite villages. Places like selva, corvara, arraba should be safe from rain
snow report
Update from Selva it's trying to snow here but very fine stuff coming down, if it continues it should amount to a nice top up but conditions here are great. Was out in Val di Fassa today and the snow was great. Back on the Sella Ronda even the black from Ciampinoi down to Selva was in great nick circa 16:00. Wrap up though, make sure you have some balaklava or smt to keep your lower face warm as it is cold...
ski holidays
@erica2004, ok cool, thanks. I’m 3 hours away at the moment but I might pop across for a week in March to see what it’s like. It’s a bit far for a day trip so I might as well stay a week especially as it’s linked to such a large area.
snow conditions
Another great day skiing in alta badia. Light snow most of the day but still some snippets of sunshine. Every piste we skied was in excellent condition apart from the steep section of blue 8 from la baita hut. Anyone heading out remainder of the winter should have a fantastic time. Everywhere already looks wintry with the recent snow but will only be more magical with the forecasted snow in the next few days. Enjoy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy