Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
^ on refection I should have put that on the preBB/BB threads
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luigi wrote:
Bergfex/ECM forecast going for 25-35cm at the end of the week, mainly Fri night into Sat morning.

https://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/prognose/

GFS 06z main run looking dry, but some ensemble runs are showing precip and pulling up the average in that period.

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=11.8

ARPAV are calling for snow, but going cautious saying the quantities are yet to be defined:

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Let's hope ECM/Bergfex have it right! snowHead

Latest GFS run shows maybe up to 5cm for Thursday

ARPAV are saying 1 to 5 cm for Thursday, not sure of amounts for friday.

Amounts on BERGFEX are now less than showing yesterday

ECMWF forecast up to the 25th showing quite a bit of snow. Latest GFS showing very little even in the ensembles. If the reality ends up what GFS is showing, could be February at the earliest before any decent dump of snow happens.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wishfulthinker, did exactly that run last February in the dark, in a snowstorm, in a hired Peugeot without snow tyres...not an experience I recall fondly! We had to stop a couple of times as visibility was nil. In good weather on clear roads you’ll be fine but there are some nasty steep hairpins, especially around Falcade. Unfortunately the alternative route is a very long way round, the A22 via Trento and approach Fassa from the west. Good luck!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great conditions again today after yesterday's snow
Some high lift's stopped for a time because of high wind mainly Passo Pordoi and top stage Marmalada
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Garfield, Good news. How much snow did you get?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would think about 15cm
Seamed to be more in Selva and Alta Badia
No one seems sure about Fridays forecast yet
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wishfulthinker, we did this road over New Year and a few trips from Falcade to Passo San Pellegrino over that week. Make sure you pay attention to the signage as to need for chains, there are a few of them and places to fit them just out of Falcade. As above, the road from Falcade to Passo SP is steep and hairpinned, do not wing it without chains if they are needed, its no place to get stuck. They must sometimes get a fair bit of snow depth there judging from the height of the poles marking the sides of the road. Once you get up to the passo its a easier run to Moena but there is a fair bit of logging around there and tree lined roads, we came around a bend and a tree had come down onto it, luckily in daylight and in good road conditions. Nothing a few burley Italians couldnt shift though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PS Practice putting the chains on before you need to do it for real.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wishfulthinker wrote:
We are flying to Venice Marco Polo airport, hiring a car then travelling to Pozza di Fassa at half term. Any recommendation on which route to take? Most direct route according to google maps is A27 to Belluno then SR203 to Moena. Is this a route that should be relatively safe after snowfall. We will have chains but not snow tyres. Any thoughts from those in the know?

That is the obvious shortest route, the only issue would be the 1918m San Pellegrino Pass between Falcade & Moena during a heavy snowfall. In which case the A4/A22 motorway past Verona & Trento, take the SS48 at Ora over to Cavalese might be a better option, the San Lugano pass on that stretch is only 1097m which is lower than the spot height of Pozza at 1325m.

We slid over the San Lugano pass at Feb half-term two years ago in light snowfall and that night 30cm of snow fell on our vehicle in the hotel car park in Moena (1148m), it took a run-up to get out the car park, so it's definitely possible to have snow at valley level in Feb.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@head_like_a_rock, @ster, @luigi, lots of great advice and info thanks folks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Garfield wrote:
I would think about 15cm

Thanks. If you can, do check in with your estimate on Friday evening, if you have time. Much appreciated.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
While waiting for the 10 o'clock news on the BBC news channel, I caught the end of the 'extended' weather. The enlarged chart showed Snow for the North of Italy on Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday !! :: Then the forecaster went and spoiled it by saying " The American model indcates the opposite of this...."
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AL9000 wrote:
Garfield wrote:
I would think about 15cm

Thanks. If you can, do check in with your estimate on Friday evening, if you have time. Much appreciated.

Last updated as heading home tomorrow
About 15cm of snow last night
Bright sun and notmuch wind today but very cold in the shade
Wrap up warm and enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Garfield, Wilco n Ta v much. Safe travels snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WePowder going big on snow Wed/Thurs in Dolomites. Forecasting 45cm in Alleghe. https://wepowder.com/en/alleghe

ARPAV aren't so sure, saying the Low was looking to move too far West & South to produce much. http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Bergfex have it dialled back a long way too. https://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/prognose/
snow conditions
@luigi, Half that would be splendid!
It'll be interesting to compare these forecasts with the actual ( but we'll need someone out there to measure it).
latest report
https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/s%C3%ABlva_italy_3166784

I still have some time! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm in selva at the moment. - anybody coming out in the next few weeks needn't worry, pistes are in perfect condition. It was blue skies today with temps -5 most of the day. The snow a few days ago has given the area a 'winters' look, with snow still on the trees. off-piste possibilities look slim tho'....
latest report
AL9000 wrote:
@luigi, Half that would be splendid!
It'll be interesting to compare these forecasts with the actual ( but we'll need someone out there to measure it).

Now firming up at 11-14cm for Wed/Thurs in Alleghe, staying cold, so maybe that kind of amount would freshen things up for this week at least! snowHead
latest report
@luigi, Aye Aye Captain - all hands on the Alleghe livecam for Wednesday!
snow report
ARPAV are calling for 'dry, light snow' tomorrow right down to valley bottoms...somewhere between 2-10cm...that would definitely help! snowHead

Bergfex are saying 4cm at Alleghe and a bit more on Sunday. Some nice sunny days in between! Cool

https://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
WePowder's latest report shows how the Genoa Low is hitting the Piedmont Alps and N Apennines on Wed, but slipping too far south to produce anything significant in the Dolomites. It would have needed to track NE into the Gulf of Venice for maximum effect.

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/263887
snow conditions
No change - cloudless blue skies and temps well below freezing. Some high traffic runs cutting up in the PM..

The 'Alba Black' in super condition....
ski holidays
I'm now convinced it will not snow again in the Dolomites, at least not until after our trip Feb 23-March 2. The region has managed to miss Austria's snowmageddon and what looks like a whopper directly to the east...
snow report
Pasigal wrote:
I'm now convinced it will not snow again in the Dolomites, at least not until after our trip Feb 23-March 2. The region has managed to miss Austria's snowmageddon and what looks like a whopper directly to the east...

A month is a long time in weather, anything could happen in that timeframe.

At least there's still an immense amount of piste skiing open in the area, mostly on artificial, but there have been a few natural top-ups.

By all reports, the cold weather has kept it all in good condition.

Since the big storm in the last days of October that flooded Venice the peaks have been white, so it all looks moderately wintry too.
snow report
Pasigal wrote:

Bergfex (normally quite realistic / pessimistic compared to snow-forecast.com) is now saying 10 cm snow (in Arabba village) Sunday and another 10cm on Monday.

More up the mountain...

Will be interesting if it comes through but admittedly a long way off...

Snowing "right now" on the Arabba webcam - https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/arabba.html !!
Snow-forecast says 9 cm today (Bergfex 4 cm)

Temps on all forecasts staying well below freezing - so whatever falls will be sticking around.
snow report
There's been light snow in the early hours, falling right down to the now almost totally frozen lake in Alleghe at 1050m, also the rooftops are white.

https://www.bergfex.com/civetta/webcams/c11256/

Bergfex are now calling for 28cm in Civetta for Sun night.

https://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/berg/

We can but hope!! snowHead
snow report
@sheffskibod, sorry crossed posts there! At least we're on the same hymn sheet regarding the more positive view of things. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi wrote:
@sheffskibod, sorry crossed posts there! At least we're on the same hymn sheet regarding the more positive view of things. wink

great minds etc...!
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
luigi wrote:

great minds etc...!

I like to think so...even if it isn't true in my case!! Laughing
ski holidays
ARPAV are saying 5-7cm during the course of today in Arabba village, there will be more on the mountain and as it's said to be light dry powder, it will make a great top surface to ski on while it remains cold.

They make no comment about Sunday yet, as it's still outside the range of their forecast.
snow report
Pretty much perfect scenario unless you're a powderhound...light top-ups over night and some cold clear days in between to enjoy the scenery and have lunch on a sunny terrace out of the wind! wink
ski holidays
Ok - has been snowing all day today in selva, but very very light, probably 3 to 5 cms. May be more in higher areas. -8 in the village : -10 at ciampinoi. Makes for 'flattering' skiing.. Wink
latest report
@albob, Not quite the 10cm+ that was forecast earlier in the week (as suspected). But every little helps.
Updates much appreciated snowHead
ski holidays
So Bergfex showing a decent fall of snow 16cm at 1500asl for Alta Badia Sunday till Tuesday

Arpav not having any of it, saying it will be mostly dry

Snowforecast.com based on latest 6Z GFS showing 8 to 10cm

Lets take a guess at who will be nearer the mark. I suspect it will be Arpav!!

The near bone dry winter in the Dolomites goes on and on. No doubt it will dump it down once I return from there on the 2nd February!!
snow conditions
Do they need much more snow ? They seem to have 1150kms of runs open out of a possible 1200kms which sounds lots ? The GEFS model is showing snow throughout the first week of February although I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed back further. I like the sun snowHead
snow conditions
You don't go to the Dolomites expecting fresh snow, though.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Do they need much more snow ? They seem to have 1150kms of runs open out of a possible 1200kms which sounds lots ? The GEFS model is showing snow throughout the first week of February although I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed back further. I like the sun snowHead

I was hoping all the slopes (in ALta Badia) would be open by the weekend, but until they get a decent fall of snow, they cant open them. Just would have been nice for once to have a decent fall before I arrive.

As for the first week of February, yes GFS has near consistently been showing major snowfall on its operational runs the past few days. As yet, it doesnt have much support in the ensembles but definately worth watching as it could just happen
snow report
James the Last wrote:

No but you'd still expect more than 25cm on the mountain at the end of January though and would expect all runs to be open (unless they're closed due to avalanche danger or high winds)

Anyway, going to be a first experience for me as its looking quite cold next week. Never once skied when its been really cold. Not sure what to expect really? Least it doesn't look as if the snow will be softening up much mid morning onwards!! Smile Smile
latest report
jimmybog wrote:
James the Last wrote:

No but you'd still expect more than 25cm on the mountain at the end of January though and would expect all runs to be open (unless they're closed due to avalanche danger or high winds)

Anyway, going to be a first experience for me as its looking quite cold next week. Never once skied when its been really cold. Not sure what to expect really? Least it doesn't look as if the snow will be softening up much mid morning onwards!! Smile Smile

Skied last year in the Dolomites during a cold snap.. Went down to minus 22c and it was totally fine. Although there was plenty of snow and very little ice..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy