Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Gastein

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Thinking of heading to Gastein this season.... anyone recommend or not recommend? Seems to be the cheapest option for Austria this year and.. ya know... it's gotta be.. Austria! NehNeh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good choice. Surprised you found this to be the cheapest Austrian option. It was always quite exclusive and a bit pricey. I went in 1997 stayed at the Bellvue? Just a few minutes walk up hill to the cable car. Sure it's changed since then.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in a lovely apartment in Dorf Gastein for a week a few years ago. Lovely little village and loved all the ski areas of the valley. Had a great time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Word of advise: Go for something close to the lift. Welzgut is my choice.
Streets are very steep!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year we stayed in Großarltal which has access to Gastein. Seemed to be less people around and it was cheaper as well. Less happening at night though but certainly a great area to ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your feedback. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went a few years back, it was a bad snow year that year. What I remember it was nice, but it was about 12 or so years ago.

We stayed in the Salzburger hof, it was a really nice hotel, but if you're aiming for a cheap holiday, it won't be there one for you. Fortunately I was about 15 or 16 at the time so the parents were paying!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've been a couple of times with Ski Miquel at the Tannenburg. It suited us (reasonably priced and had their own bar in the hotel) and we had great skiing, but it was very basic. Great Felsentherme near the main lift station. There was also a restaurant with it's own private chair lift to access in the evening and a toboggan run back down a floodlit cat track after an evening of meat and beer (don't forget your EHIC).

Very popular resort with the Scandinavians. IIRC there were a couple of pensions/hotels they used within 5-10mins walk of the lift (Stuberkogelbahn) & train station. Couple of mates have stayed in those (Lindenhof rings a bell) and enjoyed it, but no idea about prices. I would echo the previous poster's warning about hotel location though - it's easy to find yourself a 3-day camel ride from the slopes!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
.we went for a 4 day ski break last jan stayed in hof gastein the ski areas are good fun with some deceptively long runs, we enjoyed them plus good mountain huts. The downside is the busses that recquire a lot of forward planning, time can be lost if not careful getting to and more importantly getting back from the slopes and between the areas as they tend to stop at the same time as the lifts and taxis are extortionate .Gastein as someone above has said has some very steep streets so be careful where you stay. most folks seemed to return early to their accomodation and in the main apres ski was limited and not a buzz .I wouldnt rush back but nor would I put anyone off it just has a different feel to other places
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am a good intermediate skier and have been to the Gastein valley a number of times, staying in BG and Badhofgastein. There is plenty to keep you occupied for a week between the various areas although it is a resort that does not really suit beginners or early intermediates. Can I suggest you look at BHG as a base. It also has a good Spa, no hills and they have just spent €85 million modernizing the lift and ski area which I am looking forward to seeing. The H1/2 red run back to BHG is 10k and is a gem. BHG is quieter than BG so if apres ski is your thing BG is probably better.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy