Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waterproof down jacket or Parka

Poster: A snowHead
I’m looking to get a new waterproof down jacket or Parka for days when not skiing but out in equally cold weather. Also I am going to Iceland during winter so will be using it then also. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer or has anyone got experience of a certain model that they are happy with. I’m 6ft 5in and about 90kg

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tried on a Rab Resolution in the local Go Outdoors last winter. It looks a serious piece of kit. I'm still tempted!

https://rab.equipment/uk/resolution-jacket
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to use a lot of Rab down kit at work, and have used their down products in the Himalayas. For the past 4 years I have been using Jottnar kit, and can say that the Fjorm down jacket is very warm indeed and see that they are taken pre-orders for their new waterproof down ski jacket the Ragnarok.
If you want a longer length for very cold environments then have a look at the Fjallraven Yupik too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 6'3" & about 88 kg with a long back & arms & find it almost impossible to buy jackets to fit, especially re. arm length. I was in NZ this year & tried on padded jackets at the Macpac shop & they actually felt long on my arms so I bought one & am very happy with it. Not sure about the waterproof issue though; not what I would choose to wear in the rain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe try LL Bean, who usually do a "Tall" version.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arcteryx have several which would be suitable. Camosun, Therme and Fission SV off the top of my head. Not cheap though but samples can be purchased from Sportpursuit

I have a Fission SL which fits the above requirements well
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some good suggestions so far, thanks!! (but keep them coming)

I can feel the wallet getting a bashing soon Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Montane down jacket (800 fill) that has served me very well and is very stylish.

I also have a Craghoppers BG parka which is a little better for wetter/snowier weather.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrNo wrote:
Arcteryx have several which would be suitable. Camosun, Therme and Fission SV off the top of my head. Not cheap though but samples can be purchased from Sportpursuit

I have a Fission SL which fits the above requirements well

Most of the samples on Sportpursuit are Mediums. In the Arcteryx sale only 2 items are XL (my size).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure down+waterproof is a good combo . To me, if its warm enough to rain I dont need super warm jackets. With that in mind, wet = shell + layers, for cold weather i have a montane ice guide , which is resistant to rain, yet stays warm if it gets wet.
In a similar vein but colder, I had a mountain equipment citadel, which was incredibly warm , so much so that it rarely got worn.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a lightweight rab waterproof jacket that I put on over a down jacket if going out in the rain, that way I have a three way combo it rolls up small so can easily fit in the pocket. Just a thought.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had waterproof down jackets now and then over the years, but on balance for me at least it's not the correct combination. If it's seriously cold then it's generally snowing not raining. Stuff like GoreTex isn't really designed to be used like that. Pertex is fairly common and seems like a reasonable compromise, but it's not "water proof".

As far as manufacturers... I've never had a bad down jacket. I like the more niche manufacturers, whose quality I think is more consistent than major fashion brands.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pezza26, I bought a RAB Electron a year or two back for broadly the same reasons as you after a fair bit of research.

Nikwax hydrophobic down and Pertex shell - had it for a couple of years, nice and warm and if it rains, it just beads and runs off.

I like that it has extra down sewn into "cool" areas of your body - well designed.

Cant say I have tested the "hydrophobic" qualities of the down as yet, I always take the view that down jackets need a decent airing after use (i.e. dont stuff them straight in the cupboard).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with @Roguevfr, and @philwig, - if it's cold enough to need down, it's not going to be raining.

Anyway, in the main, I'm layering, down jackets excepted all I have are shells.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Indeed, that was actually sarcasm wink
snow report
@philwig, but absolutely spot on. Could see some stationary activities (belaying) in sleet ... but still.

Actually plays into the other thing, I don't think you want natural down if you're being active Shocked
latest report
Iceland is not *that* cold, it looks like in winter average temperature range is around +3 to -10. Assuming you are mainly out in the "day" (not a whole lot of sun at that time of year!) You can be expecting +3 to -6. A big down jacket is overkill. Layering approach makes more sense and gives you more flexibility in controlling your temperature. Thermal base layer, fleece, light down jacket, waterproof shell over the top should be adequate. Add an extra layer of still cold.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
Iceland is not *that* cold, it looks like in winter average temperature range is around +3 to -10. Assuming you are mainly out in the "day" (not a whole lot of sun at that time of year!) You can be expecting +3 to -6. . Thermal base layer, fleece, light down jacket, waterproof shell over the top should be adequate. Add an extra layer of still cold.

Jeez, you've at least one layer too many there already..
ski holidays
That's absolutely true. I was to Island in January 2019 and it really wasn't "that" cold. On the coldest day, it was around -5, so there's really no need for a big down jacket.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy