Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Kitzbühel/Kirchberg 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
Its the Flek that gets closed most of the time. If you aren't able to get up the mountain, I can understand why the rest just get closed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jafa, it is but the Fleckalmbahn isn't the only way up, sometimes the Hahnenkamm and Maierlbahn are open and then C2 and C4 only on the Hahnenkamm side of Kitzbuhel. So it's either bus to Pass Thurn or Jochberg from Hahnenkamm for limited opening there as well, or possibly the Horn but that's often closed too when it's a bit windy. Or just go somewhere else entirely which is what I do, when lifts are closed in Kitzbuhel there are plenty of other options close by that don't seem to have any trouble. So what I'm saying is i've noticed Kitzbuhel seems to be affected by wind a lot more frequently than other nearby resorts and I'm not sure why that is which makes me wonder about their threshold for closure.

There were a lot of closures in January when a lot of snow came but for example every single day Kitzbuhel was closed Zell am See had everything open bar maybe 1 lift so it must be more sheltered there or something.
So off I went!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to sum up...

It was a bit of an odd holiday as we didn't end up skiing much in Kitzbuhel itself. Skied the Kirchberg side and Pass Thurn on Sunday, Steinplatte on Monday, Wildkogel Tuesday, Ski Juwel Wednesday, Steinplatte again on Thursday because Kitzbuhel was shut, Kitzbuhel on Friday but conditions were pretty awful, then finally half a day on Saturday at Kitz in good conditions.

My take is that the other resorts all held their snow better than Kitzbuhel, less traffic maybe? Wildkogel is mostly in a bowl between 1700 and 2200m so you'd expect the pistes to hold up during the day but the downside is that it's a bit featureless.

We loved Steinplatte and the appropriately named Ski Juwel valley runs were skiable too. I know I didn't see Kitzbuhel at its best but in the great Kitz vs S-H debate, I'd say I preferred Kitzbuhel's lifts and the variety of tougher runs but there's a coherence to S-H-L-F that Kitzski doesn't achieve. When you factor in the Chicken Man, I'll come down narrowly on the side of Saalbach.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect you were a bit unlucky with the weather but that can happen at any time. As all resorts Kitzbühel has its strengths and weaknesses, the wind issue being one. Personally I would say there is a greater variety of challenging skiing at Kitzbühel than at S-H, though the Fieberbrunn connection has helped S-H in that regard. The link into Skiwelt gives access to a lot more straight forward skiing and the long ski routes down to Jochberg can be very worthwhile but both are closed now. I realise you cant always choose the ideal time for a holiday but I would say late January or early February are the best times to visit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the next few days the work will begin on the replacement of the Fleckalmbahn with a new 10-seater gondola. There are details and impressions (in German, couldn't find an English version yet) here: new Fleckalmbahn facts & figures. I hope it isn't a sign of things to come that the photos of the old lift (running since 1984) are of cabins with advertising and not of those with national flags on them which I always enjoyed trying to recognise.

And to celebrate day tickets will be half price on this coming Sunday.

P.S. Here is a link (again only in German) with more details of the new lift, including the fact that the new lift track should be better protected from the wind.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of corporate puff about how quick and comfortable the new lift will be. I didn't notice any mention of "less likely to get closed when the wind blows" though I guess that contemporary lift technology means that the new lift will be able to cope with moderate winds without having to be shut down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
espri wrote:
In the next few days the work will begin on the replacement of the Fleckalmbahn with a new 10-seater gondola. There are details and impressions (in German, couldn't find an English version yet) here: new Fleckalmbahn facts & figures. I hope it isn't a sign of things to come that the photos of the old lift (running since 1984) are of cabins with advertising and not of those with national flags on them which I always enjoyed trying to recognise.

And to celebrate day tickets will be half price on this coming Sunday.

P.S. Here is a link (again only in German) with more details of the new lift, including the fact that the new lift track should be better protected from the wind.

If it travels a bit quicker than the old one, you won't need to play the flag game to pass the time!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Riccardo wrote:
Just to sum up...

It was a bit of an odd holiday as we didn't end up skiing much in Kitzbuhel itself. Skied the Kirchberg side and Pass Thurn on Sunday, Steinplatte on Monday, Wildkogel Tuesday, Ski Juwel Wednesday, Steinplatte again on Thursday because Kitzbuhel was shut, Kitzbuhel on Friday but conditions were pretty awful, then finally half a day on Saturday at Kitz in good conditions.

My take is that the other resorts all held their snow better than Kitzbuhel, less traffic maybe? Wildkogel is mostly in a bowl between 1700 and 2200m so you'd expect the pistes to hold up during the day but the downside is that it's a bit featureless.

We loved Steinplatte and the appropriately named Ski Juwel valley runs were skiable too. I know I didn't see Kitzbuhel at its best but in the great Kitz vs S-H debate, I'd say I preferred Kitzbuhel's lifts and the variety of tougher runs but there's a coherence to S-H-L-F that Kitzski doesn't achieve. When you factor in the Chicken Man, I'll come down narrowly on the side of Saalbach.

I think you'd have to go back to Kitzbuhel in better conditions to get a real appreciation.

I agree about the Steinplatte though, we've stayed in Waidring the last 3 trips. Though we tend to travel to other resorts in the area some of the days.
It often has good snow conditions when others are suffering (due to the relative height and the aspect), fast lifts and a lot of variety for a small area.
The two best huts are the Stallenalm and the Seegatterl Alm (right down at the car park on the german side) IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunday was the last day of operation of the old Fleckalmbahn 6-seater gondola, built in 1984. The new 10-seater is scheduled to start running on 14th December. I had a good day's skiing, with many more lifts operating than when I was there the week before last. Snow was good, mostly hard-packed but not icy. The only softer snow I saw was on the last run down the Maierl (and over to the Fleckalmbahn). I skied the Family Streif, Maierl, Steinbergkogel, Brunn & Pengelstein II, indeed most of the Kirchberg/Kitzbühel side of the ski area (except Pengelstein I and Hieslegg/Hochsaukaser).

The new cabins won't have flags on them, a liftie told me, explaining that there wouldn't be enough cabins to do it to the same extent as on the current lift.

There was a well filled beer tent in the car park to celebrate the 35 years of service the lift had given. Thank you, old friend.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
December 14th you say. We have flights booked going back on the 15th so that's perfect then. Im assuming you will be there on the 1st day of the new Flek?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jafa wrote:
Im assuming you will be there on the 1st day of the new Flek?

Will certainly try! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morning, just a quick question about Kitzbuhel - I'm planning to head there for the annual trip in 2020, and just wanted to know - are the Pistes kept more in the style of St anton, i.e. very lightly bashed and a lot more lumpy, or are they in the more groomed french style? not that i'm pinning my hopes on either style, but was just curious!

thanks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MountainIdiot, in my experience the pistes are well-groomed before the start of each day. Depending on the snow conditions and amount of traffic that can change throughout the day of course.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MountainIdiot, having had a fair amount of experience of both Kitzbühel and St Anton I would say the piste preparation is pretty similar, usually perfect corduroy at the start of each day. What is possibly different are the "home runs". In St Anton there is really only one piste route back into the village from the main skiing areas and a lot of the time this gets very lumpy and cut up towards the end of the day especially as it gets a lot of sun. This can be a real trial for less experienced skiers especially when it is busy or the Steissbachtal is closed. Kitzbühel / Kirchberg have a greater variety of "home runs" but they are generally shaded / north facing which can mean they get scraped and icy. This is especially true of the blue runs likely to attract less experienced skiers.

I would also suggest that except for the area near Pass Thurn the snow conditions in the Arlberg are generally better than at Kitzbühel (I realise this is a pretty broad statement, excellent conditions are often found at Kitzbühel but my experience is that the additional height and higher snow fall in the Arlberg lead to better conditions on the ground).

I would recommend the skiing at Pass Thurn, though depending on you skiing level you might want to keep an eye on the run under the Zweitausender chair, it is steep for a "red" and can be fairly challenging if the piste is hard. In good conditions the ski routes down to Jochberg are really nice, not usually difficult and often piste like. A personal favourite is the Ochsenalm black run, it is steep in places and no snow cannons so unlikely to be open before mid January but it is usually quiet and has an old fashioned feel about it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks @queenie pretty please, @munich_irish, for the replies - we've chosen Kitz due to its ease of access from munich as we will be flying from various parts of the UK and can all get there at the right time - plus we have been to st anton before and found that getting reasonably priced (basic) accommodation without staying too far away form the lifts wasnt easy, I think I have solved that problem for kitz - just need them to start accepting bookings for next season at the particular place i have in mind!

not worried about challenging pistes - our group is a confident/experienced bunch of skiiers, so won't be an issue at all!

roll on 2020!
snow report
@MountainIdiot, not sure you will find Kitzbühel any cheaper than St Anton, I think the Kitz ski pass is more expensive. It does attract folk with lots of cash to spend, certainly in Germany it is seen as more upmarket than St Anton (more equivalent to Lech than St Anton). Kirchberg tends to be a bit cheaper though not many places within walking distance of the lifts. I have managed to get cheap last minute deals at http://www.sunny-hotel-sonne.at/ a couple of times, in good conditions you can ski back, the hotel runs a shuttle to the lifts in the morning.
snow report
I'd recommend Sunweb as they go to Kirchberg, prices can be bargains and include skipass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy