Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Premium' vs 'Sport' - what am I hiring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After everyone being so helpful here, we booked our ski-moon to Whistler. We're now planning and researching - but I'm getting confused about what 'premium' hire skis vs 'sport' hire skis will be. We're blue-y red-y so-so intermediates and have only skied in Europe where we tend to hire the one up from bottom now - so red/silver or whatever that hire shop tends to have; anyone able to help on what we should go for and what the differences are? It is just that premium will be newer, or are they likely to be top notch skis for people who can actually properly ski? 'Sport' is cheaper. This whole thing never fails to confuse me on every ski holiday...

Also - the hire shops will apparently swap out our skis depending on conditions etc if we want. Do we want? Is that something that can help even fairly rubbish skiers? It gives me a feel of all the gear and no idea! Aware though that grooming etc is a different ball game over there so it might be useful.

Any advice appreciated... thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ElzP, difficult to know differences between sport and premium without having a idea of specific models in each category.

Having the option to swap skis during a trip is well worthwhile, if extra charge is not too much. Fresh snow, for example, would enable you to try much wider skis, more suitable to those conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - from what I can see no extra charge on the swap (I may be missing something), so that does sound like a good plan and may teach us a thing or two.

On the first query then... have realised I may be over thinking this and perhaps I should just speak to the hire people and see what they say. Although if they just say 'of course get premium!' I'l try and find out the models and come back here!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Premium if it is what I am thinking is often called demo i.e. they are real retail skis you might want to try - piste high perfomance, off piste, pwder etc. From your own description it sounds like regular rental fleet would be fine for you. Being able to hot swap your skis for something wider when it snows is kinda useful. Canadian customers get knda angry if too much powder is groomed out of existence.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've heard this - am quite nervous about learning to ski un-groomed stuff (bits at the side/ 'Off P*ssed Pieter' in Norway doesn't count I should think...), but am hoping it will be a good lesson to learn... (and there shall be lessons!)

Ok, that would make sense; I've dropped them an email anyway but it does sound like we're good with the sport which suits me! A little bit extra beer money is always good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can see precisely what's on offer at Summit Sport on their site, although it may be last year's stuff up there now:
https://www.summitsport.com/skis-category/performance/
They're resort-owned, like Showcase and probably most rental places there. Swapping gear out isn't a cost or annoyed customer-service people issue: this is Canada, they want to help you have the best time.

I think you'll relax about the "in-bounds off-piste" pretty quickly. They tell you where not to go, rather than where to go, that's all.
You will encounter fresh snow on the piste as well as between them, and soon get used to it. You could swap into some powder skis to make it easier, but it's not necessary especially on the piste.

You could also consider hanging out with the "resort friends" or whatever they're called. These are locals who are given a free pass by the resort on condition that they take people for tours of the resort. Look it up, but they hang out near the lifts and (unlike me) like to talk to anyone and everyone. They're usually retirees (I guess) and probably don't drop cliffs, but they will help you work out that you can ski anywhere before you realise that's what they did.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy