Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there any kids ski touring kit?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My 10 yr old came for a few days touring last season and loved it but we ended up renting larger boots and too long skis.

Now 11, boot size 23, ideal ski length about 142cm, but there seems to be nothing out there.

Best advice I have had so far is get him some ladies boots (yeah, right), and some Alpine Trekkers, but can't find them anywhere.

So what to do?
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Help him to learn that there’s nothing embarrassing about “ladies boots”, perhaps? The right boot is the boot that fits.
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, plenty of "ladies" boots available in unisex colours so no need for him to be swanning around in pink ones!
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.haganskimountaineering.com/collections/junior-collection

http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=288_293_371&products_id=6095


Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 22-09-18 5:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought a contour startup adaptor for my 9 year old son’s skis ##1##

See at start of the video
2018-02-04 Åre Sportlov from Steven Plummer
https://vimeo.com/259959734

His skis were 139 cm, but I cut the skins 15 cm longer so he can use them on bigger skis. And looped the excess material around the back with a ‘pig tail’ attached a small screw I put in the ski. Only issue was the first elastic I put on the pig tail was too weak. And the skin had a tendency to slip off sideways at the back.

But they proved good to give him a taster and we did a couple of short tours.

I’ll probably stick with this method until he’s a bit older before finding another option.

Now with the Salomon shift binding coming out, I’ve also thought about other crazy solutions like making a dynafit adaptor for the toe of his boots that could, say, say fix with 1 or 2 screws. Good for the way up. Take it off, and he clips into the shift binding as normal. But that’s a project for a couple of years time.


Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 22-09-18 8:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes


http://youtube.com/v/OFK26sqhDmo
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yuppie wrote:
https://www.haganskimountaineering.com/collections/junior-collection

http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=288_293_371&products_id=6095


I also looked at the Hagan stuff, but it was expensive. Some Marker F10 frame binding in small are an option as they go down to a pretty small boot length and DIN 3.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Themasterpiece wrote:
I bought a contour startup adaptor for my 9 year old son’s skis ##1##

See at start of the video
2018-02-04 Åre Sportlov from Steven Plummer
https://vimeo.com/259959734

His skis were 139 cm, but I cut the skins 15 cm longer so he can use them on bigger skis. And looped the excess material around the back with a ‘pig tail’ attached a small screw I put in the ski. Only issue was the first elastic I put on the pig tail was too weak. And the skin had a tendency to slip off sideways at the back.

But they proved good to give him a taster and we did a couple of short tours.

I’ll probably stick with this method until he’s a bit older before finding another option.

Now with the Salomon shift binding coming out, I’ve also thought about other crazy solutions like making a dynafit adaptor for the toe of his boots that could, say, say fix with 1 or 2 screws. Good for the way up. Take it off, and he clips into the shift binding as normal. But that’s a project for a couple of years time.


Thanks. The contour looks ideal. Do I have to adjust the size kf his bindings or does this sit on top?
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It just clips into the bindings the same as a boot, and sits on top. On my sons’ bindings it wouldn’t sit totally flat as it was clashing with the rear part of the binding (don’t know the name, but the bit you press to release the heel). But once you start up-hill a bit it was fine.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Themasterpiece wrote:
It just clips into the bindings the same as a boot, and sits on top. On my sons’ bindings it wouldn’t sit totally flat as it was clashing with the rear part of the binding (don’t know the name, but the bit you press to release the heel). But once you start up-hill a bit it was fine.


Thanks.

That makes it easier. Just gotta get some skins for either his RC4's or his K2 bad seeds. Probably the latter.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You might get some cheap skins and cut them to size eg https://www.sportsdirect.com/k2-82mm-skin-sn71-920437?colcode=92043703
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We used the contour binding ada[ters last year with my daughter. They were a disaster. Every time she fell(frequently, due to icy conditions) the would pop out of the binding. This was a binding set to a normal retention for her, she skis moguls and wet, heavy powder without pre-releasing, but the “opened up” adapter is so long, it has way more leverage.
snow report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy