Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Get it waxed in Les Arc.... or here B4 i go????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi and welcome to me Very Happy (Nice place you have here by the way.)

So i'm off to Les Arcs 1800 next week and am not sure whether to get my board waxed here before i go or when i get there? If i was to get it done here i would probably go to slush & rubble. I arrive in Les Arcs at midday so have time to get it done that day. I'm thinking that getting it done there will be cheaper and a better job? I'd love to do it myself but i'd probably screw it up.

Cheers,
Pete

P.S. can anyone recommend a good shop for this in 1800?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
duncansarmy, Do you have a new board? Regardless, if ur intending on waxing do it yourself, it works out the same and you have the kit forever. Iron from Curry's (circa £5), wax from any Snow shop £2, scraper £1 - any plastic flat edged utensil will do. Save money for when the basis has gouges, that's when you might want to hand over the pthe p-tex peeps.

See link for more: http://snowboarding.about.com/cs/tuningtechnical/a/hotwax.htm
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
duncansarmy, morning - in Arc 1800 I recommend SkiShop

That page gives a discount on hire but I can probably get you a discount anyway if you go there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This forum is great. Cheers saxabar for giving me the confidence to do it myself . I do however have a couple of gouges, nothing too big (the pic makes it look much worse!) but gouges nevertheless! How deep can i get away with? These are like, no more than 1mm deep. PG thanks for the recomendation , will deffo check it out if you guys think i need a p-tex thing.

Ok so what wax should i buy? (i'll be going to S&R)

Ta

[/img]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
duncansarmy, I use this wax here at this time of year - the Yellow stick is for 0ºc to -4ºc and the Red stick is for -4ºc to -10ºc. I find it gives better performance to use these than one of the 'universal' waxes - even when using these ones outside their ideal temperature range.

Just a hint too, assuming you don't have an iron already, make sure you buy one with a flat base... I first tried waxing with one which had holes (for steam) in the base and this makes waxing more difficult. Also, in addition to what saxabar said above, I'd reccommend you get a thermometer so you can check when the iron reaches the right temperature for your wax - using too hot an iron will degrade the condition of the wax (in other words, burn it!) and too cold an iron will mean the wax doesn't fully penetrate the structure of your board.

Good luck!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
duncansarmy, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe sand the edges of the gouge so they are smooth. Every now and then it is nice to get the base sanded by a shop but only if you know there are not going to be any rocks the next few times you go out.

Unless you know the weather forecast for your trip you should use an all temperature wax. If it is really cold, a cold temperature wax will wear better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys. So let me get this straight...

I drip wax on the board, iron it in, then scrape it off Puzzled

Could i speed things up and miss out the wax and iron stage Confused

Seriously....can't get my head round this.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
duncansarmy, you got it! When you iron the wax in it seeps into all the tiny scratches on the base of your board/skis (the 'base structure' of your board). Thus when you use the scraper it only removes the top layer of wax - the rest of the wax stays in the base and that improves contact with the snow, but leaving too much on (ie. not scraping it off) leaves too thick a layer which will actually slow you down!

In the photo that you've attached you can see the base structure quite clearly where the flash is reflecting just above the big scrape - it's the tiny scratches that are running the length of your board (which are caused by the stone grinding used when your board was last tuned/was manufactured).

If you're feeling uncertain, get it waxed at a tech shop and ask them if they can show you how to wax it properly - most are more than happy to show you their trade and will probably bombard you with useful tips (in my experience) but so long as you remember the basics then you'll be able to do it yourself in the future and just take it in for major work.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi you can take it to popcorn and they will do it for you, they might give a discount if you plan on going back again during the week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy, where bout's is popcorn mate?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy