Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
DJL wrote:
Snow and rain pretty much held off all day. Low cloud and wind were in evidence however.

Headed over to Avoriaz via Lindarets. Blue run down from Rochassons ridge was very nice at about 11.15 (late start Embarassed). Down through Avoriaz and skied Crot to the chair up above Coupe du Monde. CdM (now appears to be called Jean Vuarnet) was very bumpy and not easy in the cloud. Coffee stop at the little bar down the cat track. From there down to Prodains got increasingly mashed potato.

Up to the top of Arare and then down to Changabang for lunch. Snow in good nick. Changabang has been refurbished, no snowboard shop, no graffiti, more seats, same burgers.

Back over to Plaine Dranse (good snow on the rundown to Chaux Fleurie chair) then a few runs on the Chatel side finishing with some fooling around on Donkey's and down to PLJ. All good piste conditions apart from the very last bit down to the Pierre Longue chair which was soft artificial stuff.

All in all mostly in decent shape. Hope tomorrow's forecast rain doesn't spoil it. I think that's it for us this trip, I don't fancy skiing in the rain tomorrow.

Sounds like it all came together for you Very Happy
Thanks for the updates! Looking forward to arriving Sunday.

Ps. Love messing about on Donkeys!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@DJL, was the CdM not always called the Juan Vuarnet? Although as he passed away not so long ago...

Maybe. The memory could be going though lower down there were still CdM signs in evidence.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DJL, was definitely always CdM but I had the feeling...

Anyway, thread drift Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had the sunshine in Switzerland yesterday too - a real treat. But raining in Chatel this morning.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Truly awful up there today. Rain to the top of mossette with occasional snow mixed in. Strong winds, low cloud, generally poor visibility. Pistes are heavy and wet but very quiet!

Anyone out in the next week or two - plenty on the pistes and it’s not going anywhere in a hurry but definitely could do with some colder temps to make the skiing more enjoyable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep. Dreadful. The wet snow, rain at lower levels, and warm temps have destroyed the conditions in a way that the warm but dry February weather has not. We desperately need it to drop by ten degrees C, now. Pistes are slushy by late morning, and coming home soaked is no fun.

Staying in and doing an elaborately cooked and boozy Sunday lunch tomorrow instead of skiing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely LASHING it down with rain in the Village, not sure what the freeze line is but doesn't feel very cold
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Harry Flashman, but, but, but, snow is massively more resiliant than you are giving it credit for.

Some colder temps and some fresh snow and you’ll be laughing again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yesterday was a little grim. But as someone earlier said, aspect matters a lot.

Stayed over in morzine les gets today and bar one downpour at about 11am it's been ok. Starting to brighten up. Pleasantly surprised as I thought today was going to be a right off.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pfft. Spoke too soon. Lunch in pointe de nyon now ad its absolutely lashing it down. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
from my webcam watching it appears to have turned to snow at the top of the nyon gondola, around 1200m from my previous post a few days ago..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm at the top of the nyon gondola. I can verify it is not snow. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yllen wrote:
Pfft. Spoke too soon. Lunch in pointe de nyon now ad its absolutely lashing it down. Sad

Welcome to morzine Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yllen, head up a bit more Smile this is the pic I'm looking at !

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/templates/OT2014/cache/min-PRESTATAIRE-WEBCAMS-WNYON-nyonplateau.jpg?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/templates/OT2014/cache/min-PRESTATAIRE-WEBCAMS-WNYON-nyonplateau.jpg?

That's rain that, not snow.
snow conditions
duncansarmy wrote:
kitenski wrote:

That's rain that, not snow.

Confirmed. Everyone walking into the restaurant looks like they've been scuba diving in their salopettes...
latest report
I think the one on the ground might have the more accurate view of the weather.
snow report
@Pamski, indeed and thank you for the clarification@yllen,
snow report
Webcam watcher argues with someone on the mountain........will you please gather a grip of yourself.
ski holidays
How can someone on the mountain offer a more accurate view than an HD panoramic webcam?
ski holidays
franga wrote:
How can someone on the mountain offer a more accurate view than an HD panoramic webcam?

Rose coloured goggles
latest report
@Nelbert75, @franga, I don't recall any arguing at all? No need for any grips to be taken! Shocked Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I was at La Clusaz today - not a pleasant experience. Rainy and cold in town , very cold and windy high up, but still skiable though. I am staying in Sallanches tonight and have a good 4x4 with snow tyres, looking for recommendations where to ski tomorrow - where is likely to be most sheltered from the storm? I am at present considering Les Houches or Meribel but would be happy to receive advice.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
franga wrote:

Rose coloured goggles

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Took mini-Shep to see the penguins in Lausanne instead. Much more fun! Blush
snow report
Arrived in chatel to rain, hoping the promised snow makes an appearance..got a good book if not
snow conditions
Chatel = snow this morning, wind and visibility looks a challenge.
Off to super chatel to check it out.
snow report
There was a window yesterday between about 11 and 13:30 when it was quite pleasant around the Lindarets bowl.
All the landings in the park were soft, and there were no idiots going too fast.
At one point the wind was so strong and the snow so heavy that I came to a halt on the steep pitch immediately at the top of the Prolays chair.
There was about 1cm of fresh snow on the car this AM, so things they are a changin.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing down here in the village now.
ski holidays
Quite heavy here (1100m). Roads white. Visibility very poor.
ski holidays
Blizzard conditions on the Swiss side. Icy base with 7-8cm of powder. Still falling, lovely to ski on but poor viz and very high winds especially at the top
ski holidays
Anyone know what the road from Morzine to Thonon is like? I'm meant to be visiting my wife in hospital.
latest report
Dodgy start at super chatel, but this afternoon in the trees was ace
ski holidays
Bluebird powder off-piste day. Only about 10-15cm, and over some ice, but some fab skiing nontheless!
latest report
Harry Flashman wrote:
Bluebird powder off-piste day. Only about 10-15cm, and over some ice, but some fab skiing nontheless!

Yep totally amazing day! Ended in the Folie
latest report
Feel sorry for the poor souls who waited to be evacuated from TS Chaux-Fleurie yeaterday in such grim conditions.

Anyone know what happened?

http://www.lemessager.fr/chablais/avoriaz-des-dizaines-de-skieurs-evacues-d-un-telesiege-ia923b0n213335
ski holidays
A good friend works on the Chaux Fleurie lift, I'll get my boys to go and ask him this afternoon when they are out boarding.
(No school Wednesday afternoons - lucky beggars)
ski holidays
I believe the lift lines were tangled by the wind? What I heard, anyway.

The powder has returned for the moment! And it has been snowing all night: they have been setting off avi explosives in the Vallee de la Manche...

Off-piste in Chatel:

http://youtube.com/v/Lliy-QiYsD8
snow conditions
Nice Vid - The Snow looks great - can't wait till the weekend.

I spoke with the liftie last night, as he came to see me to chat about something else, but I took the opportunity to find out what happened.
The long delay and subsequent evacuation was due to the mechanic being a bit of an oaf.
The supervisor in the top station heard a bit of a funny sound initially, and called for the mechanic.
He tried to fix the symptoms without finding out the cause.
Eventually, after much faffing and brute force engineering they found the cause.
The issue was that chairs were not clearing through the rubber roller wheels in the top station.
The mechanic thought one was just jammed, so first off they tried stopping and starting the lift a couple of times ( Like Windows 95 ).
Then he tied a line from a chair and tried pulling it through the mechanism with a skidoo.
After these approaches failed, he look a look to see what was causing the jam.
The rubber wheels are driven in a linked system of pulleys and belts, and one of these had stopped turning, which effectively meant that all wheels after that wont work, and if you keep forcing it, the belts slip on the others.
So they took off the jammed wheel, replaced the baring ( which took about 1 hour) and Robert est ton Oncle.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Glad you used the term Mechanic rather than Engineer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy