Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
Harry Flashman wrote:
So it has clouded over here, for the first time in weeks...

Whoop!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DJL, I just pulled my info from the school hols thread which I always use as my bible - so is this wrong?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139730
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is correct, but for 2020
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BergenBergen, ooops!! Just a little embarrassing then Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
looks like some precipitation around...anyone know the rain/snow limit??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheltsski wrote:
Harry Flashman wrote:

Whoop!!

And now some sleety rain (very light) at 1000m, in our home in the Vallee de la Manche...let's hope that this is the start of bigger things! I am off the mountain this morning, but will see how things are this afternoon...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harry Flashman wrote:
cheltsski wrote:
Harry Flashman wrote:

Whoop!!

And now some sleety rain (very light) at 1000m, in our home in the Vallee de la Manche...let's hope that this is the start of bigger things! I am off the mountain this morning, but will see how things are this afternoon...

Ooh fingers crossed! I am hoping this will happen ...
https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/16days.asp?zipcode=Chatel&locationID=64438&lat=46.3&lon=6.8#
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info re school holidays - and how to avoid the extra people!

Fingers crossed for snow - but that the predicted gale force winds fail to materialise on Monday...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
so from the webcams appears to be r___ in Les Gets and Morzine villages, but pretty heavy snow on the plateua de Nyon, is that around 1400m???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely snowing now at 1250m.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
so from the webcams appears to be r___ in Les Gets and Morzine villages, but pretty heavy snow on the plateua de Nyon, is that around 1400m???

If it's Pointe de Nyon then it's actually quite high at around 2000m. Rain down here in the village, feels colder but not cold enough, hopefully will continue as the temps drop throughout the day and we awake surrounded by snow again!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@duncansarmy, cheers, this the webcam...

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="kitenski"]@duncansarmy, cheers, this the webcam...

that's actually just at the top of the nyon gondola, i'd guess around 1200m so not too bad a sign if it's snowing there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some quick advice, I'll be arriving late afternoon by transfer bus to the Prodains lift, and then going up to Avoriaz. My friends aren't arriving till later in the evening, and I'm currently unsure if I'll be able to get into our accomodation (my friends booked it and have done all the communication). I see there's a left luggage facility up at the welcome centre, but as I'm staying nearer the top of Prodains, that seems to be a long way to drag my case, only to drag it back again later in the evening. Any suggestions for a plan?
latest report
Rcav wrote:
Some quick advice, I'll be arriving late afternoon by transfer bus to the Prodains lift, and then going up to Avoriaz. My friends aren't arriving till later in the evening, and I'm currently unsure if I'll be able to get into our accomodation (my friends booked it and have done all the communication). I see there's a left luggage facility up at the welcome centre, but as I'm staying nearer the top of Prodains, that seems to be a long way to drag my case, only to drag it back again later in the evening. Any suggestions for a plan?

Have a word with your mates so you can get yourself in?
ski holidays
@Rcav, a burger and a few beers in Changabang - 50m from the top station
snow report
duncansarmy wrote:

Have a word with your mates so you can get yourself in?

I'm working on that, but I need a plan B.

Thanks @DJL that's the kind of ideas I need. Although it would be good to leave case somewhere and go for an explore if it's not snowing at the time.
ski holidays
Can anyone help with a ski school issue? We had booked our 4.5 trip old into the ski school run by our accommodation - ESF avoriaz instructors but English speakers and groups of 6 max. We have just been told there is only my little boy at his level so they can’t go ahead with a level 1 class and next group is level 3, no level 2 class either.

If we go with an English school we then lose the ability to use the accommodation’s ski nanny pick up / drop off service. They’ve offered the village des enfants or standard esf lessons. Neither of which get glowing reviews on trip advisors. A third option is to do a couple of private lessons and have him in the crèche at the hotel most of the time but he’s probably a bit old.

Aargh. We’ve booked based on the small group, English speaking ski school!!!! Any experiences to share? He isn’t at school yet and doesn’t speak a word of French.
snow conditions
Evolution 2 were fantastic with our kids last year (6 and 9, first time skiing). Small size groups and perfect English spoken.
latest report
That sounds great, just what we’d want. I have a feeling though the chalet only drops off and picks up for esf....
snow report
@peezafreeza, have a chat with the chalet company and explain what's happened? Hopefully they can be flexible? Or you could do the drop off which would no doubt be at the bottom of a lift and then you could ski from there??
snow report
Unfortunately evolution2 is full next week!!
snow report
Hmm. Thinking a few esf private lessons in the mornings and a couple of mornings at kids club may be the way forward.
snow report
@peezafreeza, BASS morzine? All english

https://www.britishskischool.com/BASS_Resorts/Morzine
ski holidays
Play merry hell with them!
Exactly the same happened to friends of ours who were staying with us this week.
They had an email 36 hours before their first lesson wanting to cancel as their 2 boys were the only ones enrolled (and paid up) for the beginners class.
They were offered a cancellation and full refund - 9 and 7 year old have never skied so no lessons wasn’t an option.
ESF in groups of 10+ - I advised them against this as I think the esf big groups look dreadful.
Private lessons for an extra premium of around £700.
My friend called them and told them, in no uncertain terms, that the fact they haven’t filled the lesson is their problem not his and they were contractually obliged to fulfil the deal.
Now, I dare say that in the small print they may reserve the right to cancel within a certain timeframe but to cut a long story short they had there ‘group’ lesson for the 2 of them at no extra charge.
Good luck.
snow report
Sorry about ESF. They royally messed our friends and their 3 children around during English half term week, and despite many complaints from me, various folk around resort and the customers themselves, merely shrugged their shoulders. This is the problem with a virtual monopoly due to high bar to entry for competition.

As for conditions, heavy, wet snow arrived yesterday, and the afternoon was fun, but a bit slow as skis got stuck, and visibility was poor. No bad thing for speed management today (although vis is fine and there is currently no precipitation), as it is unbelievably busy at the bottom, with even Nyon packed with huge queues as a load of coaches arrived disgorging weekenders.

I'm taking the day off and playing with the baby, going for a walk in the woods etc. Lady F has gone up with visiting friends and is a bit stressed out. Will be fine once she is at the top of the mountain - just those bottlenecks at the bottom.
latest report
@bobhitch - really pleased to hear your friends got sorted - imagine with older children the alternatives are much fewer and the other ski schools I tried were fully booked! What’s happened is that he’s going to do an hour of private lesson a day, over lunch time, and go into kids club in the mornings and afternoons some days - and the ski nanny will still do pick up and drop off. I kind of wish I’d been grumpy about it as they clearly admitted it was their fault when we arrived and there was not even a big esf group available!! So hopefully the hour a day when it might be a bit quieter will be ok. And if not, sure kids club will be enjoyable. Just a shame as he’s been excited for ski school.

Thanks for the update on conditions! Hope your OH made it to a less busy place today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just arrived in Chatel having flow from Stansted and hired a car. Didn't quite get to freezing on the drive over - 1C at the top of Pas de Morgins. A bit misty the French side of the pass. Snow looked pretty thin coming up through Morgins .

How many out here this week?
snow report
Mostly sunny today and mostly decent enough pistes. The fresh from yesterday must have helped.

The odd spot above Les Crosets getting a bit brownish. The bits of Avoriaz and Chatel I skied were quite good.

Busy but no really long queues. Half of Belgium here - I hadn't seen that coming - after a lazy start we had to use the lower car park at Pre La Joux at 10.45.

Free skiing using some cards with points to bag the 5 hour PDS pass as the old scheme phases out. I've got a few more free days to come but also quite a lot of points on other cards that don't hit the criteria. Has anyone had success at getting something for cards with less than 80 points before they lose all value? We have accumulated about 20 cards over years all told.
snow report
Yeah it seemed like every second car arriving over the weekend was Belgian. Their half term?
snow conditions
And if their skiing is anything like their driving.....
ski holidays
Arriving Thursday midday. Pls keep the weather and piste reports coming. Looks like more snow forecast for Monday and later in the week. Keen to maximise a long weekend so any tips on good spots welcome.
snow conditions
@yllen, arriving where? It makes a bit of difference when the snow/rain limit is likely to fluctuate around (Chatel) village level. Certainly looks like a bit of weather coming through.
snow report
Morzine village. Staying at the tremplin. Hoping for a couple of days over the avoriaz side too.
snow conditions
Snow was beautiful and spring-like on mt Chery yesterday. (Though use the Gondola to go down)
In the afternoon, there were about 8 people on the face and 4 people skiing the north side.
The snow was also nice in the Chavannes and Charniaz sectors, but boy - was it busy.
snow report
High wind overnight and now raining steadily in Chatel at 1300m. Having a lie in and late (or possibly non) start. Hopefully snow higher.

@yllen, you're well placed there with options either Pleney or Super Morzine sides.@WindOfChange mentions one good spot above. We had some runs virtually to ourselves yesterday but busy in others. Planachaux virtually deserted.
ski holidays
Most closed today and torrential rain in town. Avoriaz looks to be stormbound. Can’t see the snowline out the window at present but hopefully will drop later. I’m staying in bed.
ski holidays
Rain turned sleety in Petit Chatel. Nothing open in Chatel other than Pierre Longue & Pre La Joux chairs and the PLJ drag lifts. A day in Thonon beckons - how can I avoid coming out of Decathlon having bought at least 5 items?
ski holidays
@DJL, oh but it’s such a nice new decathlon
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy