Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
Might be time to swap my all mountain skis for some piste ones then, cheers guys. Mont Chery was lovely in the sun this morning
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arriving tomorrow, getting excited now! Looks like there may be a bit of new snow tonight/tomorrow?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A little snow this afternoon and tonight, already snowing in the pre-alps nearer to Geneva.

But outlook for next week keeps building nicely....storms rolling in from the NW in general straight into france, latest GFS and ECM both showing 70cm, starting sunday. Numbers will change of course, and as we just saw, todays snowfall has been downgraded, but the flow is from a much better direction on the weekend, and the various weather models have about as good agreement as you could hope for at that range.

http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances-neige/27685/les_gets.htm
https://www.yr.no/place/France/Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Les_Gets~3000902/long.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wetterzentrale is showing snow Sunday Monday, sun Tuesday and snow for the rest of the week then.
cannot wait for the weekend now. Arrive in les gets Saturday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing hard now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It needed to, most of Chavannes and Rainfolly pistes were scraped bare this afternoon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some lovely light and fluffy snow falling now. Doesn't look like we're going to get any big dumps in the next few days however some decent top ups in the pipe line
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plenty of good touring available for those looking for decent snow. North facing slopes very powdery, South facing are variable.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Touring this Saturday to avoid the crowds!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conditions on Mont Chery good again today, poor on Chavannes and Nyon. Lots of manmade around which is getting very slippery in the afternoons. Huge mounds of man made being stockpiled on various pistes, what would they be for if they're exciting fresh snow next week?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My youngest did a work placement with the Pleney pisteurs and snow making teams a couple of years ago.
I seem to remember him saying that the pole style canons are most effective when there is little wind and the temp is between -4 and -8. (with 1 set of air holes and 3 sets of water holes engaged)
Might be a question of making hay while the sun shines ( or making snow while ... well you know what I mean)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ol_smokey wrote:
Conditions on Mont Chery good again today, poor on Chavannes and Nyon. Lots of manmade around which is getting very slippery in the afternoons. Huge mounds of man made being stockpiled on various pistes, what would they be for if they're exciting fresh snow next week?

The base is still below average so I’d imagine they are making snow in the current perfect conditions for doing so to ensure they’ll have enough to get them through the half term month and beyond no matter what the weather does.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nelbert75, this. If they have the water and the temps, they’ll make as much “concrete” as the can, just in case.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nelbert75, They are probably also thinking about Easter which is late this year - 3 weeks later than last year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, I don’t think Easter is a big concern, holiday wise.
snow report
@under a new name, Didn't know that - assumed it was a busyish period - better for us as we are there from 13-22 April to see out the season.
snow report
@Ozboy, the French don’t really holiday after the February vacances.
snow conditions
Just finished week in Les gets, some runs holding up well but some areas definitely suffering now and in need of snow.

Just to add the no photos please photo outfit avoid at all costs, rubbish photos, overpriced.
ski holidays
@MidoGrey, really? Over the years I've gotten a few photos from no photos please/esprit. They take the pictures on the slopes and then you can go and see them before deciding if you buy them or not no?

Cold and clear this morning. Day of racing for the kids on Mt Chery.

Snow forecast predicting about 50cm, chamonix meteo say 15-25 tomorrow. More snow due during the week.

I went out sking* yesterday afternoon with the kids PE class, some decent chopped up but still soft snow at the side of the pistes, on piste it was hard in places, squeaky in others.

*more derapping, my ACL recovery is Very Boring.
ski holidays
@under a new name, do they make an effort to keep open to the end date or is it a master of running down what is there and just keeping PLJ open for as long as possible?

I saw the other day in the Dauphiné Liberee they are now launching a campaign to sell benefits of spring skiing to the French market.
snow report
@Ozboy, generally closes in stages with PLJ open up to closing date, SuperChatel Closing a week earlier and Barbossine a week before that. All weather dependent of course with poor snow potentially causing earlier closing for the non canon areas. Good snow never seems to extend things, presumably due to fixed length contracts for staff.
ski holidays
Have timed my visit well with the arrival of loads of snow. Now to develop the thigh muscles needed to ski it ...
latest report
Arriving tomorrow

Looks like a hell of a lot of snow over the week Happy
ski holidays
@e17phil, me too
snow conditions
Just arrived in Les Gets, looking forward to the snow this week Smile
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, it’s not about muscle wink
ski holidays
Snowing lightly but steadily at the moment in Les Gets
ski holidays
Pretty solid but fine flakes up here in Avoriaz.

Where do we head to for best visibility? I assume in/around lindaret but what will it be like dropping down to Zore/Super Morzine?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anywhere with trees.

It's pretty flat on super morzine
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, it’s all about the timing and not being too early
latest report
Snowing in Chatel this morning, light at the moment.
snow report
Just stopped snowing - time to head out.
snow report
marcellus wrote:
Where do we head to for best visibility? I assume in/around lindaret but what will it be like dropping down to Zore/Super Morzine?

Other than generically "lower"/"in the trees"/"in the bar" my experience is "where-ever the cloud happens to be lighter".

I can remember a day last year where we were playing around the French Mossettes lift and visibility was OK. Not great, but OK, so we decided to do a run down the Swiss side...and spent the next 30+ min struggling to see the tips of our own skis. After taking the Swiss Mossettes lift back up, unable to see the chair in front, we skied back down the French side...in exactly the same visibility we had had before the Swiss adventure. I've also taken the S-M up in the morning to find the Zore chair sat in thick cloud...which you popped out of on the Proclou chair to spend the whole day under sunny blue skys.
ski holidays
It's an adventure - a matter of discovery.

Super-Morzine and runs down to Lindarets are a reasonable choice, yes. Then you can have fun in the fog finding the goat village for lunch - La Cremaillere is quite popular.
snow conditions
Seems everyone went for les linderets, so it was heaving, went over Zore direction and having a lovely lunch in Les Passages trying to decide where to go this afternoon.
snow report
Coming down quite heavy now in Morzine Village, on and off quite slushy stuff most of the day but now temps have dropped it's much nicer. Hopefully will have made a difference to the pistes which was needing it in places.
ski holidays
Chucking it down in Chatel!
latest report
40cm predicted tonight. Les gets pistes were good today but the fresh was quickly getting moved around and the icy patches were coming through in places.
hopefully they can bash some of it down tonight with more fresh to fall on top of it
snow report
St Jean closed this afternoon because of the high winds, but it was great until then ( although a tad windy ).
Dumping pretty hard now.
ski holidays
Just in from the pub and it's still snowing hard, would guess at easily 30cm so far, hopefully will keep on through the night. Looking forward to tomorrow Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy