Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Police Warn Against CC Machines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This may not apply to many sH'ds but French police have warned against using any unattended credit card machines, especially credit card readers in service stations. This follows a number of "piratages" of cash machines and other unattended credit card readers. Autoroute tollbooths have also been involved. Apparently the "pirates" have been able to read all card details including PIN numbers to create duplicate cards for use in Europe.

In general cash machines in bank lobbies are okay.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof,

Bummer, I've just spent a fortune via CC throughout France with Tolls, petrol etc...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, I havn't heard of this ... do you have a link to hte story ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Discouraging people to not use the CB peage lanes? Sales of telepeage must be slipping Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patch wrote:
davidof, I havn't heard of this ... do you have a link to hte story ?

I will have a look. It has been on the TF1 and FR3 main news stories over the weekend. I would imagine the number of machines that have been pirated is very small - they insert something that looks like a modified mobile phone into the machine and this phones them with CC details. Details, as usual with main news broadcasts, were sketchy. I noticed my local bank's cash machine has two "hidden" cameras built in to film people withdrawing money which is interesting.

The UK banks say it is impossible to duplicate a chip and pin card - maybe these gangs are just making a mag-strip card but then maybe the UK banks are wrong. The french police just warned people to check their bills, not to leave too much cash in their current account and perhaps ask the bank to set daily withdrawal limits. Although the banks are liable they seem to be taking a long time to make repayments since C&P came in.

ok here is a bit of info
http://news.tf1.fr/news/france/0,,3286451,00.html

and it seems just the mag-strip is clones so C&P will stop this - once it is rolled out worldwide in 2025.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, thanks for the warning. In the UK, we've been told that, generally, only chip and pin will be accepted by the banks - so mag strip should only relevant for those specifically allowed to sign - or at outlets where C&P has a technology problem. I guess C&P is notused at the Peages to reduce delays. But if everyone without telepeage starts handing over cash there certainly will be delays, anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, hmm that's quite worrying, and makes you wonder just how they did it. Automated petrol pumps and péages are fairly easily avoided, but its worrying if they can apply this to cashpoints too !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would hope that introducing such equipment to bank "hole in the wall" cashpoints would be impossible. What has been done in France is to fit a false front to the cash machine that has a video camera to record your PIN and the "machine" then retains the card. Sounds incredible but they showed such a fake machine in use.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, it happens here too. Recommended countermeasure is to cup one hand over the keys - so that you can still see the numbers you are keying in - but an overhead camera cannot. Including at ATMs.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy