Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorhome fun over Christmas and New year

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I havn't posted on here for many many moons but thought I'd stick my head in the door for some advise please. The family (me/Mrs/ nearly 2 year old daughter and boxer dog) are heading to Austria for Christmas in a motorhome that we've hired from Cologne, we are thinking of staying either here http://www.campkaprun.at/index.php/en/ or here https://www.panoramacamp.at/en/winter has anyone stayed at either of them? We are planning on moving on and heading back through Germany after boxing day and finding another resort to camp near for Nye/daughters 2nd birthday, does anyone have any brainy ideas for campsites? We aren't looking for full on snowboarding/skiing everyday but for more of a winter holiday and a white Christmas if we're lucky, Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@notverygoodatskiing, I don't have any experience of motorhomes or camping sites, but if you're heading back through Germany from Austria after Boxing Day then Rothenberg ob der Tauber on the Romantischstrasse might be a good place to stay: https://www.rothenburg.de/welcome/accommodation/campers/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd check campsite availabilty before booking the van. Last time I spent NY in Austria the site was booked up by mid August (Solden).

There is a stellplatz at Nesselwang, 10 miles from the border, that will be packed too - first come first in.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Alistair, we'll check it out.

Plenty of availability that I've enquired about so far, not one is full in fact, which is lucky as I've already booked the van as I mentioned.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Rothenberg ob der Tauber

A lovely place to visit! Lots of fond memories.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No advice. I'd like to follow. I'm interested in how it compares in price to staying in Hotels and using local transfers and flights ect
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's far more expensive to hire a motorhome for 2 weeks than flying, but we're taking the dog and it'll give us more freedom to pull over when my daughter looses her sxxt Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you return over the Fernpass you could easily stopover at Neuschwanstein Castle. I've just noticed that there is also a small ski area close by.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have not stayed in these campsites, nor many at all in Austria. (generally free camp if possible)

However, I have driven on some of these roads in winter in a van. Probably a smaller more manouvreable van than the one you are hiring.

Most of the time there will be no problem driving on these roads in a smallish van, but large vans can find some hills a little bit steep. The headroom restrictions should make you very cautious about what roads you drive on and make you very aware of what your maximum headroom is. (and what signs there are or are not regarding bridges, headroom restrictions in car parks, etc)

Choosing your route to avoid high passes can restrict your options. Alternatively, be flexible on timescales, and plan for unscheduled stopovers until the weather improves.

I did not find any problems driving through Germany into Austria. Leaving Austria to go to Switzerland was more of an issue. However, I may have been lucky with the weather.

Check the weather conditions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
@notverygoodatskiing, I don't have any experience of motorhomes or camping sites, but if you're heading back through Germany from Austria after Boxing Day then Rothenberg ob der Tauber on the Romantischstrasse might be a good place to stay: https://www.rothenburg.de/welcome/accommodation/campers/

Would you recommend it for new years eve? We won't be looking for an all night rave or anything Laughing it's our daughters 2nd birthday as well as Nye so a nice meal out during the day (maybe a beer or 3) would do us nicely, plus it's pretty perfect for half way back to Cologne to drop the motorhome back on the 3rd, cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BoardieK, we are going to try, it's closed on all the bank holidays so it might be tricky to fit it in, but the wife is desperate to go
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bigtipper,

Cheers for the advise, it'll just be a see what happens with the weather type of trip, the beauty of the motorhome will hopefully mean we should be pretty well looked after in all conditions as we have the luxury of being self sufficient, if we need to park up for a day or so for the roads to clear it won't be the end of the world
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a look at https://www.campercontact.com/en for places to stay away from campsites.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
notverygoodatskiing wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Would you recommend it for new years eve? We won't be looking for an all night rave or anything Laughing it's our daughters 2nd birthday as well as Nye so a nice meal out during the day (maybe a beer or 3) would do us nicely, plus it's pretty perfect for half way back to Cologne to drop the motorhome back on the 3rd, cheers

Well I've only ever been there in Summer, so can't say what happens on New Year's Eve, but in most Austrian and German towns there are usually plenty of fireworks let off at midnight, so you should get a good visual display. It is a quintessentially German town with a beautiful old town centre dating back to medieval times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Presumably the hire motorhome comes with snow tyres and chains?
latest report
@Alastair Pink, looks like we are spending a couple of days over nye, cheers
ski holidays
@jellylegs, Yep, it's the only reason we are hiring from Germany as they come as standard.
latest report
@notverygoodatskiing, hopefully that means it will be a fully winterised van as well, so less prone to pipes freezing. Could be around -5 to -15C, so if you haven't used a motorhome in those temperatures before perhaps check out some advice websites on how best to manage water/waste.
snow report
Cheers, I owned one a while back but only ever in the UK and didn't really have to deal with those temps, but it's the whole reason why we're driving to Germany to collect it Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy