Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mens jacket and salopettes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi hi, my husband needs both, he's been using stuff he's had for years and he didn't even buy them for skiing. Where can we find a good selection, how much are we looking at spending and what should we be looking for? He is not a cold person at all and we tend to go skiing in spring but we want good quality stuff. And he likes bright, tasteless colours Laughing

I am a cold person and a have down filled jacket that looks like a duvet and that's great for me Very Happy but maybe not for him.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And any specific recommendations welcomed please.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dare 2 Be snow sale (decent set of their higher end fairly colourful stuff not much more than 100) and Sports Pursuit (for a price range 200-500 but more choice of brands - look at Kilpi brand) stuff to browse now, then Decathlon once winter stock lands around October (80-200 easily gets a passable set). Outside of that the usual snow sports stockists....outdoor shops such as Mountain Warehouse, Snow and Rock, Ellis Brigham etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve long been a fan of Peak Performance gear. Works great and lasts years. Most of their stuff is pretty muted colours just now. I recently bought a Spyder jacket which looks good quality too but yet to test it out. Spyder usually have some pretty colourful gear. You’ll catch some sales on most ski retailers just now as mentioned above and another vote for sportpursuit- they’ve got loads of choice
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bobcat, I’ve got some good quality used stuff surplus to requirements.

Some may even be bright and tasteless (I prefer ‘uplifting’ or ‘good in low vis’) colours 😀 . But not all.

Size is large, typically suit 40-42 inch chest, 36 inch waist approx.

Perhaps PM me if interested?

For brand new stuff I think suggestions by toyah807 are good.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TKmaxx is worth a look. You need a bit of luck but at least you can buy online or instore and return. I tend not to get cold and almost exclusively ski in resort (bit of off-piste) so mostly on lifts rather than much walking. Many ski jackets are insulated but I find it difficult to regulate my temperature in them, especially if weather is variable. I prefer a softshell or hardshell jacket with very little insulation and wear anything from 1-3 thin layers underneath. Pit zips are a must for me, but that does limit choice.

Bottom line is it's a very personal thing, but I would say go somewhere where you can try stuff on as styles and cuts vary as much as colours!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a fan of Mountain Warehouse. Decent kit at very good prices.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TKMaxx is always worth a look, as is sportsdirect who always got good brands.
Spend what is in your budget, but make sure you checked the ratings for waterproof & breathablily & make sure you get something suitable. Some of crap sold as ski suitable is joke.

Good explanation here
https://www.snowandrock.com/expert-advice-and-inspiration/buying-guides/Waterproof-ratings-and-breathability-explained.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just bought Nevica jacket & salopettes from sports direct at 80% off, £80 for both
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can spend anything from £50 to several hundred.

TK Maxx, Decathlon, Mountain Warehouse sell budget - mid-price stuff
Ellis Brigham, Snow and Rock tend to be mid - higher price range
Decent mid-price brands, Dare to Be, Columbia, The North Face

You can also look at Sport Pursuit on-line to pick up bargains in quality brands
https://www.sportpursuit.com/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tangowaggon, always think the sports direct Nevika gear gets an unfair review, mines been great
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with @boabski, I absolutely love my peak performance shell jacket. Its a shell but very comfortable to wear and although i usually only wear it with a base layer in spring I also have a mid layer too. I wouldn't want to be any warmer that's for sure. I bought mine on ebay and its a really nice red. It is a shame they've gone for "mud" colours at the moment as I want to buy another but the current ranges look drab and so dated.

I find Snow & Rock a good place to go and view a good range or SkiPlus in Chelmsford. I've bought jackets for family from both.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If he runs warm and you’re spring skiers definitely go for a shell jacket. That way he can wear more underneath on colder days or just a t-shirt on warm days.

TK Maxx is a good shout although they didn’t seem to have much that was any good last year. A couple of years ago I got my Quiksilver gore tex shell jacket from there reduced from £350 to £80. Sport pursuit will have loads of different brands over the coming months. Some you’ll have heard of, some you won’t.

Our local Ellis Brigham has a load of sale rails in it at the moment. I’ve not looked on them but noticed when passing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bobcat, Another vote for Sportspursuit, good selection, and lots of bright colours, Aldi have just put their mens ski jacket online https://tinyurl.com/y8bf5x3y, not in a bright tasteless colour though.

Also try Tog24.

We both had Schoffel jackets for years, when we changed jackets we didn't like their designs, however there is nothing wrong with quality, my wife feels the cold too and has gone for a longer jacket, "lots of women jackets leave your bum exposed". then lots of layers, Merino from Finisterre (their sales is finishing), Icebreaker (Cotswold outdoors, S&R have a sale one) BAM bamboo buy online, then BAA merino from Sportspursuit.

Gloves my wife has Hestra mittens with pollen liners for cold days, and Salomon Leather ones with furry lining.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shell jacket and pants, with merino base layers, and mid-layer top.

I see plenty of people in Sweden in Stellar Equipment gear. For the specification of the shell jacket and pants, I think the price is hard to beat. See www.stellarequipment.com
snow conditions
Have a look at Westbeach. I'm also a 'hot' runner and I've used an assortment of their gear for years.

Plus there is a sale on! Which helps...
https://westbeach.com/collections/sale-mens-jackets?mc_cid=e74f648dbe&mc_eid=48ddaeab7b
ski holidays
@bobcat,

1. Layering. Shell, insulation, base.

2. Don’t buy “ski” clothing which doesn’t naturally lend itself to anything else. Buy kit that you can use for any outdoor activity. My new shell for skiing is classed as a rain jacket by the manufacturer. Looks like it’ll do a fine job though.

Which actually steers you away from e.g. Trespass, Dare2, etc. as they tend to design for the wear one week a year market.
latest report
I run hot but prefer an insulated jacket with frequently just a cotton t shirt underneath & just open the zip to cool off, it's a real pia having to remove/replace layers & carry them in a back pack
latest report
Myself and a friend have both had Nevica gear, cheap and functional, and bright orange!

https://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-meribel-ski-jacket-mens-408514?colcode=40851408
snow report
+1 for sports direct ski wear, bought a really good Nevica jacket a couple of seasons ago for £45 (rrp allegedly £350), not sure anything is ever sold at full price!!
ski holidays
Ah wow thank you for all the recommendations. I've looked at Snow and Rock and Ellis Brigham but didn't find a great selection. I find it really hard to tell, shopping online and we've had to pay to return one jacket which was laughably poor fit.I don't know how to interpret the details like the quality of different fillings and insulation etc. Seems like a mine field.

Thanks Peaky B but the sizing doesn't match up unfortunately.
snow report
@tangowaggon, ??

How does having an over hot insulated jacket have an advantage of appropriate layering?
ski holidays
@bobcat, don’t go insulated.

Why do you have to buy online?
ski holidays
What is a soft shell and hard shell? Also, do jackets tend to come with sleeve pockets for lift passes?

Just quickly browsing on my phone whilst at the cricket here but these look ok?
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1501656?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6NTk4LCJwYWdlIjoyLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6NDIsInBvcyI6MjV9

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1482605?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6NTk4LCJwYWdlIjozLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6NDIsInBvcyI6MTJ9
latest report
@tangowaggon, cotton’ll kill ya.

Seriously. Cotton is the worst thing to wear.
snow report
Shopping online cos we don't have time for going in stores to be honest
snow report
@bobcat, hard shells are generally what you would think of as a waterproof. Softshells appear more as neoprene (wet suit material).

hard shells are typically a bit more weather resistant e.g. rain, etc. Softshells arguably a bit more breathable.

A good example of either would probably be fine. Unless you ski in the rain.

Ski jackets tend to have arm pockets. In 48 years of skiing quite a lot I have never had one. Mind you, they are a reasonably recent invention. I would like one but my lift pass lives in my trousers without a problem.
snow report
Ah crap, I've just realised we both need helmets too. I think we need a one stop shop.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helmets you need to try on.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@tangowaggon, cotton’ll kill ya.

Seriously. Cotton is the worst thing to wear.

+1

Get a modern 'tech' baselayer for £10-20. Bonus is you can wear 'em all week without washing them and they don't smell Laughing (or so I'm told)
ski holidays
Thank you for explaining that Freerider.

Themasterpiece, you're right. We'll have to go to mountain warehouse and the rest in October I guess. Might get that blue peak performance jacket in sport pursuit though.
ski holidays
The problem with Mountain warehouse is that everything has the logo on it, you'll look like a mountain warehouse walking billboard. I'd go to Decathlon, they have a mix of brands, and the prices aren't too scary.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/decathlon-stores.html
snow report
marodo2712 wrote:
The problem with Mountain warehouse is that everything has the logo on it, you'll look like a mountain warehouse walking billboard. I'd go to Decathlon, they have a mix of brands, and the prices aren't too scary.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The logo's are actually pretty subtle. Not sure about the rest of the UK but there's a few MW in my area but would have to travel a looong way for a Decathlon. Mind you, I'm not a brandanista anyway (OK, I won't wear Regatta, but that's about it Cool )
ski holidays
@bobcat, Ellis Brigham has a lot of stuff at half price at the moment, including a good range of helmets.

A hard shell should be water and wind proof, breathable but not insulated. E.g https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1008425?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6NTk4LCJwYWdlIjoyLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6NDIsInBvcyI6MjJ9

You tailor the insulation yourself by choosing what layers to wear underneath.

Or you can choose something like the Peak Performance but it will be less flexible
snow report
Kit him out in some snowboard gear and make him look ubercool *WARNING* he may actually convert to snowboarding to complete his ubercoolness....
snow report
Just bought a Dare2B ski jacket rated at 20,000mm and a pair of Trespass salopettes rated the same. Both breathable with zipped ventilation vents. Jacket was £58 and the trousers £56. Bargain.
snow conditions
Oh wow yes Dare2b are bargainous! Thank you for recommending that one, I know several people have, I've only just got round to looking on their website.
snow report
Coolness seems like it might be an unachievable goal Very Happy
snow conditions
Just buy stuff off eBay for pennies . Utter bargains to be had there.

BTW I wouldn't touch mountain warehouse stuff with a barge pole.
ski holidays
and personally I wouldn't buy Dare2B but that's because their bike jerseys were poor quality, so maybe not entirely fair to judge their ski kit on that basis.

@bobcat, if you've got plenty of time before you need the clothing, you can get some real quality kit from Sport Pursuit at sub £100, you just have to keep popping in to see what's on offer. For 80 quid last year I picked up a pair of 20k rated Fischer trousers in an orange so searingly bright you can see them from 5 miles away. In dense fog. At night.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy