Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@boabski, have a look athttps://www.skill.at/en/

It’s a new ski school - excellent instructors and is based in Hinterglemm

Edited post to correct web address

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-01-19 22:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Yorksboy, that should be https://www.skill.at/ - your link is to a marketing agency in the US Puzzled

No English version of their website, but that should be no impediment. Their location is somewhat idiosyncratic... no office in the centre of the village or beside a major lift for them Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So folks. Just how good is the snow just now? Looks amazing on the webcams and temps look like they've stayed nice and low. Arriving tomorrow and cannae wait
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski wrote:
So folks. Just how good is the snow just now?

Great!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quick question for all you locals. Do you know any good firms to use for shared transfers from Salzburg Airport to Zell am See? We could take the train, but don't really want to risk it for the return journey as we will be leaving very early. Thanks in advance! x
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HoneyBunny, We always use the Holiday Shuttle. (Why Zell?)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boabski, Should be a good week for you. Conditions have been pretty well perfect.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@espri, @tatmanstours, thanks. Always good to hear from those at the coal face so to speak Very Happy
Do you know if you can pay a bit extra on lift pass to cover removal from slopes if injured? I'm sure I read it somewhere but not sure if it was this thread or another??? I did email the bergbahn but they replied as if I was asking to insure the lift pass a d not to cover the costs of being taken off the hill if injured
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boabski, I don't know about this. We're members of the Austrian Alpine Club, which gives us year-round and Europe-wide mountain rescue, repatriation and third party cover (also emergency medical cover for the first 8 weeks of any trip) for £39 per annum.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boabski, doesn’t your travel insurance cover this when you add skiing cover?

You do have insurance, I presume?!?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ousekjarr wrote:
@boabski, doesn’t your travel insurance cover this when you add skiing cover?

You do have insurance, I presume?!?

Travel insurance that includes skiing does. Partner's daughter needed it (in Saalbach, a couple of years ago - whisked to Zell Am See hospital)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok folks. My insurance does cover hospitalisation etc. Will need to read small print re getting off the hill
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
@HoneyBunny, We always use the Holiday Shuttle

Thank you, will take a look!

Quote:
(Why Zell?)

Well. You know my love for Saalbach, but if I went there I'd want to ski all day and it wouldn't be fair on my non-skiing husband.

He will love the views over the lake and visiting the glacier, and I feel Zell generally has a bit more to offer non-skiers than Saalbach does. Plus he is less bothered about the apres.

When I come back to Saalbach, I want a whole week, and I want to ski!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ousekjarr,

Thanks for checking up on me - I've edited my post to point the the English version.

This is a new Ski hire with Ski School - School is run by Reini Woisi (formerly with Furstauer in Saalbach). Reini is very highly qualified.

The hire shop and ski school office is at the edge of the village next to the Wiesenegg lift (there is a ski bus stop here). There is a quick ski route to and from here either from the Ubahn or the Bergfriedlift. They are very happy to come and collect from hotels.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does Saalfelden work as a base for skiing the Skicircus and possibly Zell am See and Kaprun? There seems to be some very reasonably priced accommodation there.
Also, how long does it generally take to drive there from Munich Airport?
snow report
I would be good if you don't mind driving a bit. Don't forget that the very lovely HochKonig is the closest skiing to there and is well worth a day or two, especially if you bypass Maria Alm and start at Aberg. You could even head to Kitzbuehel or the Gastein Valley for even more variety. Probably 3 hours from Munich in average traffic.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, There are also free buses from/to skicircus (Leogang) and Maria Alm from Saalfelden during ski lift hours. The super ski card that covers these and the other places mentioned above (plus a ton of others) is good value IMO.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Does Saalfelden work as a base for skiing the Skicircus and possibly Zell am See and Kaprun? There seems to be some very reasonably priced accommodation there.
Also, how long does it generally take to drive there from Munich Airport?

If you have a car, I would say it is a very good base....5 mins to Maria Alm, 10 mins to Leogang, 15 mins to Zell.

The drive from Munich Airport will depend on when you are going and what route you choose. It has taken me 7 hours in previous years going motorway during half term. I now go cross country and it's a gentle 2.5-3 hour drive.....I was given a route a few years ago by the late Samerberg Sue if you fancy that......outside of half term I'm sure motorway will be fine and will take about 2-2.5 hours with good traffic although others on here will be able to advise better than me
latest report
I’m elsewhere today enjoying about 5cm of powder on top of the pistes but anyone about in Saalbach this week?
I will probably come over sometime this week not sure which day yet.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, yes, me Very Happy
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, do you go out skiing every day?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, No, I usually see how I feel when I crawl out of the sack, and what the weather's like.
snow conditions
2 amazing days so far. The snow is in such great condition and does not look as if it's going to deteriorate through the week
snow report
@boabski, I was just musing to myself how rather spiffing it all is
latest report
Yes, but got a bit heavy and lumpy in places towards the end of the day on south facing slopes. Great up until then.
latest report
@ousekjarr, I should point out that I haven’t actually been in Saalbach today
I just meant how good the area is generally
I’ve had a nice ski around Ellmau Scheffau and Going today and there were quite a few bumps but no heavy snow.
Zell am See for me tomorrow I think
snow report
With the arrival of the high season crowds today, and the increase in mogulled pistes and supermarket queues (doesn’t help that the Spar has closed leaving us only with MPreis in the village centre), it crossed my mind as I walked through the village that it might get even busier in future. In particular there could be a swarm of migrant skiers from France, as there seems to be a perfect storm brewing of push/pull factors: the significantly better conditions in eastern Austria this season, the escalating prices in many popular French resorts, the link with Zell (making the Ski Circus by far the biggest, interlinked ski area in Austria), the new law making winter tyres compulsory in France...
Anyway, I suggest that we all curb our enthusiasm about Saalbach and mention some of its downsides.
I’ll kick off by saying that the new “1350m” restaurant at Hochalm should be avoided - terrible service and overpriced (48 euros for two Kaiserschmarren, two hot chocolates and two coffees).
Also a friend had a set-to with the bar staff at the new Post Bar in the village centre - 17 euros for a small beer and a Prosecco (and unusually no receipt - suspicion that the bar tender was scamming them). Unfortunately for them she’s a feisty Yorkshirewoman, who owns a couple of apartments here and didn’t hold back in telling them what she thought.
Continuing the reasons for sticking to France, rumour has it that the iconic Josef Solar, who has been providing the live music in the Hinterhag Alm every evening of every ski season for 40 odd years, may not be coming this season - something about having a residency at some kind of “Winterfest” in London. Hopefully Brexit will knock that on the head.
That’s all the bad news - apart from those bumpy pistes and supermarket queues.
latest report
@tatmanstours, I noticed the Spar was missing the other day as I strolled up through the town!
Why on earth did they close that down?!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
I’ll kick off by saying that the new “1350m” restaurant at Hochalm should be avoided - terrible service and overpriced (48 euros for two Kaiserschmarren, two hot chocolates and two coffees).
Also a friend had a set-to with the bar staff at the new Post Bar in the village centre - 17 euros for a small beer and a Prosecco (and unusually no receipt - suspicion that the bar tender was scamming them)

Good grief.
latest report
[quote="tatmanstours"
[/quote]

That certainly sounds expensive. Got to say that we had a very enjoyable lunch there a couple of weeks ago and the bill was in line with other restaurants on the mountain. We had good service, but admittedly it was pretty quiet.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:

Continuing the reasons for sticking to France, rumour has it that the iconic Josef Solar, who has been providing the live music in the Hinterhag Alm every evening of every ski season for 40 odd years, may not be coming this season - something about having a residency at some kind of “Winterfest” in London. Hopefully Brexit will knock that on the head.
That’s all the bad news - apart from those bumpy pistes and supermarket queues.

Sad news about Josef if it turns out to be true. Despite his backers changing in nationality, numbers and musical expertise over the years we've been visiting the Hinterhag Alm, we especially love Josef's "haaallo", "jeden Tag, Hinterhag" and the hand rolling at the start of "Hey wir wollen die Eisbaeren sehen".
ski holidays
@honved, I agree - there’s something very likable and genuinely nice and unassuming about Josef, who clearly thrived throughout the season on the enthusiastic response from the audience.
His guitarist is keeping it all going in the same vein, with help from operatic tenor, Marco Antonio Lozano (who is a bit of a fish out of water but nonetheless excels at songs in his range, including “La Bamba” and “Bohemian Rhapsody”).
Marco seems to helping out as a favour to owner Evi, who is his girlfriend’s aunt. How long he will be happy to perform in the Hinterhag, instead of the operatic stage, is questionable.
Evi is of course still caterwauling from the stage, under the apparent self-delusion that she can actually sing in tune, and that the audience is enjoying her efforts.
However, in a weird sort of way, it all seems to work. That is the insanity of the Hinterhag - as my son once described it, “a rave for old people”.
Just to add to the bizarreness of the musical entertainment, some numbers are now performed on cowbells and a very long Alpine horn.
Last time I popped in a few nights ago, the place was rammed, so Josef’s absence doesn’t seem to have affected its popularity. Let’s hope he returns though - I’m sure that the adoring throng would give him a rapturous welcome.
latest report
I agree about the Hinterhag. Josef is missed but the atmosphere was still fantastic when we there a couple of weeks ago (In the snowy season!). We will be back on Saturday for a week and hoping to see the sun this time, never made it over to Hinterglemm last time because of lift closures and the weather. Mind you, the first three days next week look a bit snowy.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, The cowbell routine is fine as an interlude, but the main attraction for me is the German/Austrian Schlager music mixed with the English language karaoke style singalongs. I'll be there in a couple of week's time and until then I'll reserve judgement on the chances of Marco pulling off "Living next door to Alice".
snow report
I've been reading the reviews of London's "Winter Wonderland" on Tripadvisor. Lots of people underwhelmed by the event generally but enthusing about the Bavarian village and Josef in particular. It seems that he was the highlight of most people's visit! Saalbach's loss but London's gain Crying or Very sad
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d5929776-r648735490-Winter_Wonderland-London_England.html#REVIEWS
snow report
Was at 1350 for a drink today. Just under €20 for a water, small beer, hot chocolate and glühwein. Nice place but agreed - quite pricey. Schwarzacherhof is a bit pricey too. About to hit the goastahl shortly and will be making no sense later. Schönen abend
snow conditions
I got charged €6 for a Topfenstrudel and custard earlier in Zell am See.
Not a particularly big piece either.
That was the Schnapps-Hans Alm at the top of the Zell am See Express.
On the other hand I had a delicious lunch for €8.90 at the Sonnkogel Restaurant.
Lots of powder in Zell am See today.
ski holidays
Where is this link going to be then to connect Saalbach to Zell am See?
I know the bottom station will be at Viehhofen from Dec 2019 but how will it work? Ski down 68 and then cross the road or what?
ski holidays
€7.60 for 2 cappuccino at 1350 today... I guess we are paying for the view and ‘ambience’.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I got charged €6 for a Topfenstrudel and custard earlier in Zell am See.
Not a particularly big piece either.
That was the Schnapps-Hans Alm at the top of the Zell am See Express.

We’ve had a couple of coffee stops there this week. One lovely waiter, one miserable waitress. About €2.80 for a carafe of tap water!

The lift station in Viehofen has been built on the accommodation side of the main road. Mirror image of the Schoenlietenbahn. It’s right at the bottom of 68 before you turn left for the flat bit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy