Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Oh, and last time I went to Saalbach there were bare patches on some of the slopes. I’m guessing that won’t be an issue this time Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Raven, half term start dates UK 16 Feb, Sweden 12 Feb, Norway 11 Feb, Denmark 9 Feb, Slovakia 19 Feb and Netherlands 16 Feb, looks like your ahead of the game. I would book Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Raven, Monday was 80cm in a day, there is not a patch of green!

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
radar wrote:
@Raven, Monday was 80cm in a day, there is not a patch of green!

Thanks for the report.

Pretty sure it should still be there first week of February!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
radar wrote:
@Raven, half term start dates UK 16 Feb, Sweden 12 Feb, Norway 11 Feb, Denmark 9 Feb, Slovakia 19 Feb and Netherlands 16 Feb, looks like your ahead of the game. I would book Very Happy

Isn't first week of Feb half term for parts of Austria?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Raven, indeed Vienna and lower Austria start on 4 February, Burgenland, Carinthia, Salzburgerland, Tyrol, Vorarlberg the following week. @tatmanstours, will be along to give us the local view on how busy it is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice everyone. Still not sure if I’m going to book Saalbach or somewhere else in Austria. It partly depends on what accommodation I can find (on a budget.)

Any thoughts on staying in a Leogang instead of Saalbach or Hintetglemm?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Raven, contact @tatmanstours, he has a superbly located apartment, he also has a room to rent, its right by the lift a very short stroll into town, he may have availability . I don't know leogang that well, Saalbach has a great vibe. the snow will be amazing and with Saalbach you have a great linked ski area, ask @tatmanstours for his guide, PM him
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours I was looking online and looks like all the ski hire/service places shut at 6pm. Do you know one that’s open late. I don’t arrive until 7pm Sat and just realised I still have my summer wax on...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Raven, just my view but leogang whilst sharing the same skiing is a totally different animal to saalbach or hinterglem more family orientated and less full on. The difference between staying in saalbach or hinterglem is again totally different in each albeit with easier i.e not as much retracing tracks and access to the same pistes . Problem is central accomodation in saalbach which would be my choice if possible is usually at highish premium if not booked early. Even with the good bus system out lying accom is a pain as you end up paying but not getting the full benefit of the resort
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski for fun wrote:
@Raven, just my view but leogang whilst sharing the same skiing is a totally different animal to saalbach or hinterglem more family orientated and less full on. The difference between staying in saalbach or hinterglem is again totally different in each albeit with easier i.e not as much retracing tracks and access to the same pistes . Problem is central accomodation in saalbach which would be my choice if possible is usually at highish premium if not booked early. Even with the good bus system out lying accom is a pain as you end up paying but not getting the full benefit of the resort

Thanks Ski for Fun . The place I was looking at in Leogang emailed me back to say they were full anyway.

In the end I’ve decided to go to St Anton as I was able to book a nice B and B in a central location there for a good price. It did mean a number of emails back and forth though!

St Anton will also work better for me if my slightly crazy travel plan doesn’t work out and I miss my flight (long story...).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ldj226, sorry, no I don’t.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well just booked to return to Saalbach for the first time since Christmas 2014.
Goodness I hadn't realised it had been so long. Went five times in four years so has been some break.

Now back in the old routine of checking out webcams, looking at piste maps.

Cant wait. How many days is it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There’s definitely more snow than Christmas 2014!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certainly is. That was such a let down. And to top it all wife did both her knees on the last day. Maybe an hour or two before we would be coming off the slopes.
snow report
Pub for rugby tomorrow?
latest report
Does anyone know, possibly @tatmanstours, if the Hecherhuette is accessible to a non-skier?
snow conditions
@flymoll, bobby's or crazy deer
latest report
AnotherAndrew wrote:
Does anyone know, possibly @tatmanstours, if the Hecherhuette is accessible to a non-skier?

It is - if you've got a 4x4 or snow chains! There's a small road...
ski holidays
@AnotherAndrew, Hi you can get there by taxi as you can stay at the Hecherhuette, contact them directly https://www.hecherhuette.at/mountain-inn-viehhofen. I drove up in the summer, no snow though Toofy Grin

from their website

Skiing in Viehhofen right to the door of the Hecherhütte, lively après-ski, great food and sophisticated drinks, attentive service and unforgettable parties - all this awaits you at the Hecherhütte during your winter holiday in Viehhofen!
You can also reach us by car - snow chains advisable! Or leave your car in Viehhofen and we’ll call you a taxi.
How to get to the ski area
• In good snow conditions the piste is a maximum of 20 metres from our ski cellar. You can ski down to the ski bus stop in Viehhofen, and from there it’s just a 10-minute drive to the Schönleiten lift - your entry to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang Fieberbrunn ski area. From the Schönleiten lift, head to the Polten lift, and piste no. 68 will take you directly to the Hecherhütte.
• In poor snow conditions, you will have to take your own car to the ski bus stop in Viehhofen to reach the ski area. When you return, you can pick up your car from where you left it.
• If the piste is closed due to snowmaking, you will receive a 10% discount!
• A return shuttle service can be booked from the Hecherhütte to Viehhofen - € 4 per person and trip.
latest report
@AnotherAndrew, A taxi for up to 8 people from the Hecherhuette back to Saalbach can be arranged for 40 euros - which is not too bad if you have a party of 5 - 8 people.
You can book a special meal up there, such as a fondue.
The apres-ski party runs from around 3.30pm until 6.00ish, so the thing to do is to ski down to it and stay for the evening, then get a taxi back.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours i have never done piste 68 nevermind visited the Hecherhutte. How popular is the apres?
Hopefully get the opportunity in March.
latest report
@ianbradders, It’s great for those who live in Viehhofen - last run down. Their equivalent of the Bergeralm, I suppose. Their irrepressible Welsh waiter, who used to be a Butlins redcoat in a former life, gets up on a table and leads the party. We’ve never stayed much beyond 3.30pm as the ski bus from Viehhofen to the Schonleitenbahn leaves at 3.50pm, and the Schonleitenbahn closes at 4.00pm. Today we went through the turnstile at the Schonleitenbahn at 3.59pm. In practice the Schonleitenbahn may well stay open slightly later than 4.00pm for any stragglers, but we try not to risk it (especially as happy hour at the Bergeralm ends at 4.30pm, and it takes nearly half an hour to get up to the top of the Schonleitenbahn and then ski down piste 66 to the Bergeralm - although I have been known to phone ahead and order my drinks halfway down the piste or from the gondola). Toofy Grin
snow report
Hello everyone

I will arrive in Saalbach on the 3rd of February and I am looking for a ski rental of equipment at good prices for 6 days, who can help me?

at this moment I have the following price: 165.76eur for 2 people in this shop: Hervis Saalbach.

i need equipment for:
1 people ski and boot (skier beginner to intermediate)
1 people need only ski ( good intermediate)

can you advice me shop with best price for rent?
snow report
@tatmanstours,
Quote:

Their irrepressible Welsh waiter, who used to be a Butlins redcoat in a former life, gets up on a table and leads the party

Is this "Lucky Luke".....? Met him before Xmas working in the WesternStadl (Bernkogel), so looks like he's moved jobs this year
snow conditions
@tutosat, I've received your PM. I'll send you full information, including details of the ski equipment rental shop that we recommend.

@geoffers, Yes, that's him. He moved temporarily to the Westernstadl for domestic reasons that I won't go into. However the job didn't suit him, so he's now back at the Hecherhuette.
snow report
Can anyone recommend an instructor? Arriving in hinterglemm on Saturday and one of our group would like a private lesson. Ideally would be based in hinterglemm. Thanks
snow conditions
@boabski, I know quite a few based in Saalbach. Is that any good?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boabski, I can't recommend one by name, but Snow & Fun are the main ski school and taught both of our kids. At the kids level most were Dutch and many were at a fairly basic level themselves, but there were some excellent instructors once they got off the nursery slopes and the more senior people are both Austrian and good. Make it very clear what you want, and they should be able to sort you out.
snow report
@boabski, In Saalbach the following have been recommended:
Zink Ski-School: Steve Rothwell, Iavor Vasilew, Georgi Popov, David Spacey
Furstauer: Johnny Walker
Snow Academy: Simon Hodges, Peter Hradl
latest report
Thanks guys. I'll pass the details on.
latest report
@tatmanstours, damn Im needing Saalbach fix soon!
snow report
@Kooky, You're welcome any time! Very Happy
snow report
I’ve been reading this thread with interest as thinking of going to Saalbach on 2nd Feb to Bergers sport hotel- as it’s the start of half term how busy are the slopes/lift queues likely to be? As the OH likes the slope to herself Smile
latest report
@Atomic_Mick, It’s a bit optimistic to go skiing in high season and expect to have the piste to yourself. Having said that there are always pistes that tend to be overlooked by the hoi polloi, who follow the beaten track. Pistes 57, 59, 61and 68, for example, are usually quiet.
Also, as Saalbach has the fastest lift system and highest number of gondola cable cars of any resort in the world, it tends to cope with high season crowds better than most.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Atomic_Mick, It’s a bit optimistic to go skiing in high season and expect to have the piste to yourself. Having said that there are always pistes that tend to be overlooked by the hoi polloi, who follow the beaten track. Pistes 57, 59, 61and 68, for example, are usually quiet.
Also, as Saalbach has the fastest lift system and highest number of gondola cable cars of any resort in the world, it tends to cope with high season crowds better than most.

Indeed - went 4 years ago at half term and barely a queue; and the lift system has of course been improved since (going this coming half term). Even the lift system in Ischgl is not as good as Saalbach - I don't think there is a better system anywhere.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@Atomic_Mick, I 68, for example, are usually quiet.

I went down 68 last Friday, and managed a full tuck 50-60mph run as the piste was absolutely deserted, at least as far as the Hecherhutte… It would have been rude not to stop there!!
snow report
Hi All! Heading along to Saalbach in a few weeks for the first time so quite excited. Big thanks for all the past threads and the wealth of info.

Couple of quick Q's if anyone can help. The Sleigh ride to/past the Lindlingalm, is it a case of making your own way there prior or if you're picked up, where or how does it work?

Furstauer have an offer for Ski school and equipment for circa 300 quid or so, assume Hansi's would be able to provide the school and equipment for something similar? Would like to go with Hansi's after all the good word on here, and it's handily located.

Any particularly recommend nice outdoor pool/spa (and possibly bar!) in any of the local hotels?

And lastly, how advisable is booking lunch/dinner at any of the particular popular spots (chicken man etc from what ive read!). Going early Feb. Thanks Smile
snow conditions
@Manning18, PM me your email address if you would like a copy of my comprehensive guide to all things Saalbach.
Never done the Lindlingalm sleigh ride/meal evening, although some of our guests have and really enjoy it. I suggest that you look at the Lindlingalm website.
Hansi can indeed provide the equipment and tuition (with Furstauer) package.
The Panther has a nice pool and wellness suite. No doubt other hotels do too. We don't ever use the hotel bars - too many others we like.
It is very advisable to reserve tables at places like the Chicken Man - or anywhere else. Like deckchairs, the Germans and Austrians seem to consider it perfectly normal and sensible to stake your claim to a table in advance.
snow report
Thanks for the replies all - i left it a few hours to book and missed the deal (was gutted at the time) but have managed to book a nice hotel in Zell Am See instead so hoping to have a day trip to Saalbach anyway
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy