Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, new member. Off to Saalbach tomorrow flying at 8 am, with husband and 3 kids aged14, 12 and 10. It will be our first time in Saalbach; we’re staying at the Saalbach Hof. Last minute booking. Avidly looking at forecasts etc!

Joined here to get info about ski hire etc. Is Hansi still the best place to go for ski hire? And boots? Husband and I are intermediate and eldest has done 3 weeks skiing, middle, just a week and youngest 2 weeks but in true child fashion are gungho and up for anything
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has rest of post been eaten or can I not see it?!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cloudberry, welcome to snowHead - I see two paragraphs of your original post. If there was more, it has been eaten.

Hansi is a good bet, personally recommended by Tatmanstours as always, but you'll not go wrong anywhere in the Glemmtal.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cloudberry, if you use a keyboard emoticon unfortunately the text you've entered following it gets a lost Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If that's the case, please use the edit option to remove the suspect emoticon from your post, and the rest should reappear
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you Smile Think I was asking if there are different grades of lift pass and any recs. we’d like to ski as much as possible in the week we have. Have decided to go for private instruction every other morning as kids aren’t keen to be in ski school all day and like skiing together as a family. Husband isn’t keen on the idea of ‘lessons’ Laughing but we’ll do the first morning and review!

Is there anything else that would be useful for us to know?!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh ok, just seen that, if I edit will repeat myself!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Cloudberry, the Ski Circus pass is probably enough to keep you busy, but if you have a car and fancy some day trips then Zell am See, Kaprun and Hochkonig are all relatively close by and worth a visit if you haven't been. For these, you'd need the Salzburg Superski pass at an extra €25 or so for 6 days which covers all of the resorts in the region, but given this is your first time in the Glemmtal then I don't think it is worth considering.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perfect thank you. In edit mode can’t see dodgy emoticon though did put one in but doesn’t matter!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cloudberry wrote:
No problem, you already did wink Many of us do too...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ousekjarr, @colinthc, @ yorksboy, @summerseat, thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

We arrive on the 20th Jan, and looks like we will have plenty of snow.

The advice on which lifts to use to get to the other side of Hinterglemm was useful, as although you can study ski maps until the cows come home until you’re on the spot it’s never entirely clear.

@summerseat you comment about French mountain restaurant loos is so spot on....started choosing restaurants based on how treacherous or more importantly NOT treacherous some loos could be.

Seen some discussions about which runs are most worth doing but with so many posts can’t now find them again, so love to hear snowheads favourites and why, we are strong intermediates and will even cope with blacks if conditions are okay.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Debbie0312, the whole area is very well suited to strong intermediates, and you'll love most of it.

My personal favourites are:
- the run down to Leogang from Asitz on blue 88 and red 89, which is long and cruisy
- blue 7 and blue 4, then up the Limberg lift and onto red 3 + blue 2B from Westgipfel down to Schönleitenbahn, very long, rolling, and great fun
- red 6 and 6A from Westgipfel to Hinterglemm - narrow in one place, but an excellent run
- red 61/61A from Wildenkarhutte down to the bottom of Schönleitenbahn
- the semi-legendary blue 68 from Polten down to Viehhofen, even though you need a bus back to Schönleitenbahn afterwards
- if your legs are up to it, red 13/13A on the WC course on the Zwölferkogel
- red 16 from Seekar - this is a hidden gem in my opinion, takes a long T-bar to get there, but it is worth it

I'm not so familiar with the Fieberbrunn area, and have mainly experienced it in falling snow or whiteout conditions, so I'm not in a position to comment on those runs except to say that the link sometimes closes due to high winds so only try it on a day which is forecast for calm conditions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adding saalbach to the list of possible resorts for a week in 26th as the conditions look good and everyone seems to be recommending it. Is saalbach.com the best place to be checking for accommodation or any other good sites?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ssweeney43899, booking.com is a good one, we have availability that week, its an apartment sleeps 4, bottom of piste 34a, PM me if interested, we also have the week of the 12th Toofy Grin
ski holidays
https://planetski.eu/news/11205

Read down. Fame at last TT
latest report
ousekjarr pretty much nails it for the best runs. The run to Leogang, (88,89) is fantastic, rolling with steeper and gentler sections, but never too steep or gentle, and with a wonderful backdrop. The run down to the newer lift is also good below the mid-station, (93). I'm a bit blah about 2b. It's long and decent, but doesn't always do it for me. I will add that the Hochalm area is a favourite of mine, above mid station. Almost all the runs are marked blue, but when I first went to the area they were all marked red, and they really are in the either/or category, but they are fun. Also, seeing the snow is looking good, 33a (Bach?) will be open back down to Hinterglemm. I much prefer this to the blue 32a, which has the artificial cover on it.
Fieberbrunn is a fun trip, but for me the best run is the one under the tirolS, (f14). It's marked red, but be aware, I would class it borderline black.
Oh, and first thing in the morning, before it gets busy, the run to Saalbach under the Bernkogel (46), is wonderful for wide, swooping confidence building turns. It does get busy quickly though.
And if you can handle blacks and the snow is good, run 1 under the Schattberg is a solid run.
To be honest, it's just a great area for exploratory cruising.
snow conditions
@Debbie0312,

+1 for trips over to Fieberbrunn - never fails to please. I particularly like F10, F8 and F1c.

Also +1 for piste 93 at Leogang (possibly my second favourite after piste 68 )

Also red piste 14 (Zwolfernord Abfahrt - formerly black with red options, now red with black options) deserves a mention.

Quote:

good quality mountain restaurants

Everyone will have their own favourites, and I don't know of a bad one, but here are my suggestions:
Hecherhuette (on renowned piste 68 - our favourite of all - best steaks, gulasch soup, apfelstrudel, and jagatee in the valley)
Alte Schmiede, Asitzbrau, Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei (all three at the top of the gondolas at Leogang, and each quite amazing in its own right)
Forsthofalm (at Leogang - chilled atmosphere and does a very nice ham and cheese toastie)
Bergeralm (also known as Bergerhochalm, on the Kohlmais - good food and cheap drinks with party atmosphere 3.30-4.30pm daily)
Westernstadl (on Bernkogel - good food, friendly service and miniature horses and a donkey)
Sonnalm, Pfefferalm, Reiteralm and Wieseralm (all very nice restaurants on the Reiterkogel)
Sonnhof (at Hochalm - upmarket feel, good food, staff, views)
Winkleralm, Hintermaisalm and Xandlstadl (all nice restaurants on the Zwolferkogel)
Westgipfelhutte and Gerstreitalm (both on Schattberg Westgipfel - one at the summit with fantastic views and the other near the bottom)
Wildalpgatterl (at Fieberbrunn - traditional Austrian)
Teehutte (Fieberbrunn - very small and quaint)

(PM me your email address if you'd like my comprehensive guide to the area, and also some recommended itineraries.)
snow report
Quote:

we also have the week of the 12th

@radar, So does everyone I think (me included). Promises to be a quiet week, and, if the sun comes out, with all this lovely powder... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

https://planetski.eu/news/11205

Read down. Fame at last TT

@boabski, Well spotted - I'll try not to let it go to my head Laughing
latest report
@tatmanstours, would you mind if I jumped on the bandwagon and ask if you could also send me your guide etc please?
snow report
@Cloudberry, PM me your email address.
ski holidays
What are recommendations on best village to stay if my group is 4 x adults (my parents in 70s, me and bro in 30s). No interest in Apres ski looking for

- nicest village (Mum might not ski everyday)
- best access to the slopes (parents are older)
- they will eat at hotel in evenings as like to relax

We would be arriving on 19th January
ski holidays
@Ldj226, In my opinion Saalbach, preferably in the upper part of the village (Oberdorf) or along Schiliftstrasse. It's a pretty, compact village centre, the easier, blue slopes of the Bernkogel and Kohlmais (and the sublime 7km cruise down piste 68 ) are easily accessible, as well as tours to Leogang and Fieberbrunn, if they're up for that. (Gondolas can be used to ease the journey to Fieberbrunn and back). It's centrally located in the Ski Circus. All three gondolas out of Saalbach have decent restaurants at the top stations, and they will probably love the brand new Montana Royal Alpin Club at the top of the new Kohlmaisbahn gondola. completed only a few weeks ago - very swish and fantastic views.
ski holidays
thanks I’ll check Saalbach options out
snow report
@tatmantours, the new Montana Royal Alpin looks great from a few photos i have seen, have you dined there yet and/or do you know of any reports on the food from others?

Thanks
snow report
@tatmanstours, I may have to come out and use it myself Toofy Grin
latest report
@Debbie0312, We have been following @tatmanstours, guide to mountain restaurants for four seasons and haven't had a bad experience yet, the Wieseralm, is very good among the best Tiroler Gröstl we have had, the Apple Strudle at the Hecherhuette is fabulous the vanilla sauce!

New this year is the Montana Royal Alpin Club at the top of the kolhlmaisbahn, very swish and good sized portions and a slightly different menu from others, here's a few pictures

Every restaurant we went to seemed to have new toilets! and as has been commented before, very different from France

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 5-01-19 10:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crystal diverting Salzburg flights to Linz apparently
latest report
I decided to see if I could get into my apartment yesterday instead of today what with the snow coming in thick and fast last night and it was definitely the right decision.
It was snowing heavily for the last 145 miles but the winter tyres were enough on their own.
There is so much snow even at 600m in St Johann.
snow report
@boabski, Salzburg airport is operational BA flight arrived 5 minutes early, passengers probably didn’t notice as they would have had to wait for the bus to take them to the terminal Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-01-19 13:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
boabski wrote:

Yep. I’ve dowloaded some extra podcasts and made us a packed lunch.
ski holidays
Thanks to all who have given their favourite runs and favourite restaurants, now need to get the ski map out and dream about skiing in a couple of weeks time.
Good luck to all in resort or travelling today, seems it might be interesting!
ski holidays
boabski wrote:

Aaaaaand now we are heading back to Salzburg again.
snow conditions
@Jenniper, next time Ryanair?
snow conditions
@jenniper TUi is the only airline that appears to be diverting all flights today to Salzburg bar 1 to LINZ Ryanair look positively fantastic at this time long day for TUI customers. Salzburg appears to be operating normally hopefully everything back to normal for the 19th and my first trip to Saalbach
ski holidays
I flew into Salzburg from Leeds with Jet 2 arrived 19 minutes early at 12:40.
All seemed ok- took the tram into Salzburg.
On the train now to Zell- running about 5 minutes late!

So all good so far, due to arrive in Hi terglemm at 5pm Very Happy
latest report
Yorksboy wrote:
I flew into Salzburg from Leeds with Jet 2 arrived 19 minutes early at 12:40.
All seemed ok- took the tram into Salzburg.
On the train now to Zell- running about 5 minutes late!

So all good so far, due to arrive in Hinterglemm at 5pm Very Happy
latest report
Our guests have just arrived from Salzburg. No disruption to flight, and surprisingly the taxi brought them the most direct route via Lofer. I expected that road to be closed.
ski holidays
@Debbie0312, Something to be aware of with the mountain restaurants, the vast majority do not take credit cards cash is King.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy