Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
What a nice day - perfect weather. 14 was a nice run in the morning and we crossed over to the sunny side to end up in Saalbach. Bus back to the Zwölfer-Nordbahn and down to Hinterglemm.
(Bumping into Australian Ollie).
@hammerite, @tatmanstours, @Dubmuffin, hope you enjoyed it as much today. snowHead

Zwölfer- Nordbahn is long and a bit old gondola.

It seems same of you had a late night out there. Very Happy With no facebook I have to rely on Mrs Hyst for information about that.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hyst, looks like we'll get another perfect day tomorrow
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hyst, Had a nice day, thanks. Leisurely ski with Mrs TT and a friend over to the Reiterkogel - lunch at the Pfefferalm, then over to Hochalm and a pit stop at the Sonnhof. Wound up at the Hinterhag Alm apres-ski party, which was just as nuts as ever.
Probably aim for the Zwoelferkogel tomorrow. Have heard that friends are meeting mid-morning at the Hintermaisalm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

We (2 men aged 30 & 55) are visiting Saalbach at the end of January and staying at the Hotel Kohlmais. We are keen intermediates. Could anyone recommend a good ski guide who could show us the best runs to ski around the area. Could you guys also recommend a good ski hire shop near our hotel.
Cheers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow from Reiterkogel to Fieberbrunn is very nice in the morning. Madeye-Smiley

Better than towards Leogang.

And one gets a nice feeling to be in the mountains.
Hochhörndler Hűtte has a magnificent view from the terrace and nice inside.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bitsand, You will be next door to us, and it would be a pleasure to show you around. Send me a PM.
For ski/boot hire go to Hansi’s Best-Price (next door but one to Bobby’s Pub), and tell Hansi I sent you (for great service and equipment, and the “Tatman” discount).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hyst, it seems once again we were within tracks of each other. We headed over to Fieberbrunn and stopped at the Höchorndler for a mid morning drink whilst waiting to see if they would fix the chair lift.

Ended up bumping in to @tatmanstours and Mrs Tatman who broke our Hinterhag cherry. A great apres session! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hammerite, @Hyst, We got the morning bus to Leogang and skied back to Fieberbruun today and lunched at the Hinterhag. I won't pretend it was the easiest day with my 5 day old ski legs but glad we did it! Last day tomorrow so will probably head over to Hinterglemm but we love 46, so might try and get there for an early run or two. Hard to everything on a first visit!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's funny to think we are all passing each other throughout the week without actually knowing it
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having collapsed after a circuit of the valley, followed by a session in the Bergeralm, the usual run down in the dark and a visit to the Hinterhag (accompanied by @hammerite, and Mrs @hammerite, I now feel somewhat revived and am about to stagger down to Bobby’s - in case anyone’s there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bitsand, reference your question ski hire near your hotel, sport-bauer.at is more on your doorstop

Hansi’s as recommended by @tatmanstours is good, used him once myself on my first visit, but depends on your priorities as it’s a fair trek uphill from Hansi’s to Kohlmais.

Hansi small independent operation that will be cheaper but with an uphill walk v larger operation, bit more expensive, but virtually next door to Kohlmais

I have found all the ski hire shops I have used in Saalbach have given me a good pair of ski’s and service and I have not returned to Hansi’s as other shops have been better located on my subsequent visits.

I cannot recommend sport Bauer as not used before, but I intend to use them in January for the first time
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers, Thanks for your advice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anybody know the best ski hire in Hinterglemm?
2 of our party will be hiring...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gumpold sports were ok for my mates. Make sure you book in advance though much cheaper
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ribblevalleyblue, and @bitsand, I’ve been recommending Hansi to our guests and anyone else who has asked for advice for many years. All our friends and family also use his shop. I’ve never heard a single complaint, in fact the opposite - universal praise. Another Snowhead, on a different thread, recently commented that Hansi’s is the best hire shop he’s ever been in.
The primary reason seems to be that you get friendly, knowledgeable, personal service from the boss himself (a former ski instructor, who has a wealth of experience in advising his customers). Add to that the quality of his equipment, the unbeatable prices, and the welcome schnapps, and most people seem to think it’s worth a short walk up through the village.
I perhaps should add that I don’t get any kick-back for recommending him; I’ve told him that I would rather he give the maximum discount to our friends and guests. Having said that, over the years Hansi has become a personal friend (as he has to many people who return to Saalbach year after year), and he does me occasional favours from time to time - and can always be relied on for a friendly chat and a beer or schnapps from his in-shop bar.
snow conditions
@Leonard Smalls, define "best" - best equipment, best prices, best service, best location? Cheapest is likely to be Hervis, who offer reasonable kit at very good prices - on one occasion, they were unwrapping skis and fitting rental bindings to them as we arrived, and we got brand new kit. We've also used Snow & Fun, which has excellent service and very good kit but can be expensive, and Intersport Breitfuss which is similar and well-placed for the U-Bahn and the centre of town. We have no experience of Gumpold, and used the hire kit from Skischool Activ once when it was closest without issue, but in essence all of them will provide reasonable kit. Prices are all suspiciously similar except for Hervis.
snow report
Quick plug for the Bartl Enn distillery in Hinterglemm https://www.enn-schnaps.at/home.html
Just off the piste above the Goaßstall (there's a yellow building just above the distillery which belongs to the Goaßstall where you can leave the piste)
Recommend the choc-chilli licquer at 15eu a bottle!
ski holidays
@Leonard Smalls, Hi try www.skill.at this is a new setup this year - so all the hire kit is brand new. They will come and pick you up.
Also very good new ski school if you want some lessons.

When are you in Hinterglemm?
snow conditions
@bitsand, Make sure you visit Burgi's Bar — right opposite your hotel. A more friendly, fun and authentic bar you will not find anywere snowHead snowHead
latest report
Cheers Poogle, We will definitely stop by.
snow report
We also like the Spitzbub on the other side of the road (especially now that the inside bar is non-smoking).
snow conditions
Every time I read this thread I want to go back to Saalbach! Never even went in the Spitzbub.

Sadly the Angry Birds don't ski together anymore.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, You don’t need Angry Birds to come to see us - would be great to see you here.
latest report
Yorksboy wrote:
@Leonard Smalls, Hi try www.skill.at

When are you in Hinterglemm?

Cheers! I'll pass that on to them...
We're in Hinterglemm 12-19 January. We were last there 4 years ago - stayed at Gartenhotel Theresia but this time we're slumming it with 6 of us in an apartment by the Reiterkogelbahn.
snow conditions
Everbody has a good time due to @tatmanstours s information.

Final day skiing today, would have liked to go over to Fieberbrunn one more time, but Mini Hyst wants to use her dark side today and finds it to hard. So we will stay in the end of the walley today.

Sorry to other fellow snowHead we could not meet up Crying or Very sad but at least We meet our first fellow snowHead in Europe.

Happy New year to come for the party bunch.

When you ski tomorrow we will be hitting the Autobahn - not quite the same plesure. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@Leonard Smalls,

I'm in Hinterglemm 5th to 19th January - might see you in the Goatstall Very Happy
snow report
@Hyst, Thank you Embarassed
Blush
Have a great day - cleaning and shopping day for us ( then battening down the hatches for two days of snow - half a meter forecast last time I looked Very Happy )
Have a good return journey - there’s always the next time! (And bear in mind we have accommodation available for the w/c 12 January, as well as 16 March onwards, in case you fancy a return visit wink )

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 29-12-18 10:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We've had a great first week in the area and will definitely return one day, maybe staying in Saalbach so we can explore further and enjoy the apres. Hope everyone has a happy new year, nice to see there is some new snow on the way snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Yorksboy,
Possibly it's only 300m from where we're staying.
However, Austrian apres ski music imho comes from within the 7 circles of hell! We're more likely to be found in the biker bar...
snow report
@Leonard Smalls, like your response Very Happy
Guess you're happy not to be there the week before? DJ Otzi ( Anton, Anton) is performing at the Goatstall on Tues 8th Jan. last year you could hear him all over the village!
ski holidays
@Yorksboy,

Eek!
Shall bring my own 10kW PA just in case...
Plus a selection of jazz-funk greats by the likes of Throbbing Gristle, The Residents and of course, Last Exit.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, very kind of you thank you. Something to think about next season!!
snow report
@Leonard Smalls, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Here from my dull hotel in Munich just want to say one more thing: Pfefferhűtte is worth a visit - and their Apfelstudel is very good.

@tatmanstours, thanks for the offer but for mid February we are committed to Val Gardena with friends and for end af march Mrs Hyst and me will have romantic trip to Åre by nighttrain. Hopefully MiniHyst will be back from Japan after that.
ski holidays
If I wanted to get the lift back across to Fieberbrunn so I could ski down to the bottom (of Fieberbrunn) to catch the bus back to St Johann at the end of the day, what do you think the latest time is that I’d be needing to get on the Bernkogelbahn to get back over in time? Assuming a reasonable pace?
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, if there’s a bus after the last lift, then about 1430. The last lift out of the lowest point of the link is at 1530, if it is open. If not, you have a mad dash to make it to the top of Asitz by1600 to get down into Leogang to reduce the cost of the alternatives.
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, thanks. Hmmm I thought it would need to be not long after lunch.
snow report
I could get off the bus in the morning at Fieberbrunn and finish in Leogang that would work (although it’s a longer journey back from Leogang).
Also to get to the top of the Asitz by 1600 looks a bit faffy anyway so I’d probably still need to be leaving Saalbach by 1430 wouldn’t I?
latest report
Quote:

@VolklAttivaS5, if there’s a bus after the last lift, then about 1430. The last lift out of the lowest point of the link is at 1530, if it is open. If not, you have a mad dash to make it to the top of Asitz by1600 to get down into Leogang to reduce the cost of the alternatives.

I'd agree with that. Getting over to Fieberbrunn always seems quite a trek compared with Leogang (which I once did in 37 minutes without racing, from the top of the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn to the top of the Steinbergbahn). Going the Leogang route you'd have to get to the Asitzmuldenbahn, the last lift, by say 4.00pm (although it may actually close at 4.15pm, and, if you missed it, you'd just have a bit of inconvenient walking to do). To get to Leogang from Saalbach village I'd be inclined to leave by 3.00pm.
snow conditions
It's been snowing like crazy all day today, by the way. Should be perfect when it clears.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy