Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Valkyrie, I might be able to help - PM me if possibly interested in a ski-in ski-out apartment opposite the Kohlmaisbahn lift station in Saalbach. Also we are in contact with a network of British apartment owners in both Saalbach and Hinterglemm.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Valkyrie, are you looking for 14 December and for how many? edit: missed that @tatmanstours, had responded Very Happy in the unlikely event that he can’t help, pm me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colinthc wrote:

As someone who has visited S-H umpteen times, and stayed in Zell a couple of times, I'm not sure Zell will be that much more attractive a proposition with a link. To use the S-H-L-F area you will have to do exactly the same route for an hour at the start and end of each day. The beauty of staying in S-H is you are at the centre of the circus and options can be constantly open. I could travel from, say, Hinterglemm to Leogang by a variety of routes. Zell to anywhere will be repetitious.

The irony is, that although S-H may not be seeking these links, it does make the two villages ever more attractive as the central base from which the intermediate masses can plan day trips of exploration.

Incidentally, one other opinion about the Zell link -
The run into the Glemmtal, under the Zell am See express, is a red that can be quite daunting for the lower intermediates. It's also quite narrow. At the moment, that's not a problem, as the lift doesn't operate anywhere near capacity, but it's a 10 man gondola, and if the link is as popular as Zell obviously expects, (why build a 10 seater for just one run otherwise?), that's going to be a seriously crowded and potentially unpleasant piste. In it's current uncrowded state it's actually a nice run. With no queues.

You're not wrong, it can be a tricky, narrow in places, red although the mitigation is that if you are heading for a day in SHLF, you'll be skiing it on fresh groomed snow. When I was there when that run had first opened, it was fine until it got cut up late in the day (it also benefiits from generally being in the shade) and on the way back you only need to go up the gondolas. In addition you need to get a bus from the bottom to get into Viehhofen lift system, and your way back might be hampered if blue 68 closed as it lack any snowmaking so may need a bus again.

all that said I wouldn't advise anyone to go to Zell if they weren't confident on steep stuff, as all that side of the mountain is red runs, and anyone who wants to ski mainly blues is quite limited in zell.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
can confirm the snow was horrible early January this year Evil or Very Mad staying in S and H. They didn't even bother preparing the slopes, not nice skiing on slopes with moguls EVERYWHERE and in some places 6 inches of snow on what should of been nice blue runs
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSki wrote:
can confirm the snow was horrible early January this year Evil or Very Mad staying in S and H. They didn't even bother preparing the slopes, not nice skiing on slopes with moguls EVERYWHERE and in some places 6 inches of snow on what should of been nice blue runs

bit of a problem with snow all over Salzburgerland this January --- just too much of it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@NewSki, and from other people’s perspective, the snow in early Jan was great!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Inboard, too much to make it safe to ski, whilst I was there off piste was a real no no, just pistes. Still had masses of fun though..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tatmanstours, Sounds like you've spent a lot of time there. I got the chance last year working in Zell am See instructing so on my days off I'd go to the ski circus. One thing I found last season though that made me wish for higher altitude was the quality of the snow. From mid February onwards into March Zell and Saalbach were mostly turned into mounds of slush before lunch time. Is this usual for these resorts? I have a choice between a season in Obergurgl and a season in Saalbach and i'm not sure what to choose. The months i'll have off to do my own skiing will be January and March. I think the ski circus is a great resort and it's even bigger and better now it's linked to Zell. However if the snow is all melted and slushy it doesn't matter if you've got 400km to explore. Obergurl and Hochgurgl on the other have only has 110km of piste but then Solden 20 minutes down the road will add another 110km which is still plenty but with a pretty much guaranteed long season until May with quality snow. What do you think? Is it normal to for it to be too warm in mid February and March to get decent ski conditions in Zell / Saalbach or was it just a freakishly early spring?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Powder Pete, you do realise this is "last year's" thread, there is one already for this year. The soft snow thing is an issue. S-H does have a wide expanse of low south facing slopes which suffer from late February onwards but it is not alone in this, nearby areas such as SkiWelt, Maria Alm and lots more are similar. You do have the glacier area at Kaprun nearby, March and April are often the best times for glacier skiing. Personally I think places such as S-H are usually at their best in late January when all the valley runs are open and the snow is in good condition, head higher for March skiing unless you fancy lots of lounging on terraces drinking beer in the sun.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, I'll have a look at that thread then. Thanks for your input. Yes I found myself on the Kitzsteinhorn as much as possible towards the end just because of that but it was a fair journey with an hours bus and then the a long gondola ride. Lounging around drinking beer isn't my scene really.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy