Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm travelling on the overnight Eurostar tonight then getting the early bus up to Tignes Le Lac. I do hope to get some sleep and arrive fresh and ready for a day on the snow tomorrow.
Normally we snowboard late in the season when it's sunny and a fair bit warmer; so any tips for keeping warm in the freezing temperatures would be greatly appreciated. I'm used to layering up but it's been a few seasons since I was out in January temperatures.
Thanks in advance Cool
Brendan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's just layering and good gloves really.

Last week was above freezing most days and wall to wall sunshine every day. Jan is my favourite month to ski and snowboard.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Separate inners for gloves - especially if you may be taking the outers off whilst on a chairlift. If you are starting to suffer in the cold, go get a hot drink somewhere, and stay inside 'til you've warmed up again. Keep anything electrical (eg phone, camera) close to your body - batteries run out amazingly quickly in such cold conditions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another barkingly cold morning, in fact the air was so cold that there was quite an unusual phenomenon over the Lac du Chevril - evaporation or steam fog, you can see it in the sunlit area of the lake in the photo. To form the ar must be at least 10 degs colder then the water so any vapour given off from the water immediately recondenses into shallow swirly fog. Here endeth the first lesson:

As one of the gang was trying new skis we had a hurtle around the pistes down to Brev to make sure all was OK (new touring bindings to deal with) and then we ventured off piste in the Palet area where there was some really nice soft snow, so we did it again. There was a thin layer of cloud from mid morning which made the air feel damp and cold. As the fridge was empty I had an early lunch and down to Bourg, ahhh the bliss of an empty supermarket over lunchtime Very Happy

On the lift news the 3000 drag lift and associated slopes in Val are almost ready - this will also give lift served access to the Tunnel and the steep pitches at the Le Fornet side. NB it is only for good skiers only, the drag is super steep and the run down from the Tunnel is daunting.

Also over in Val a couple of boarders got stuck in the Gorges du Malpasset and required an expensive helo ride out. It is not even passable on skis, the pisteurs had to walk out on the summer track. Top tip don't ignore notices even if you are 2 delegates on The Napoleons Congress (a sort of captains of industry thing as far as I can work out).

The good news is that tomorrow will be 4 or 5 degrees warmer, the sun will be shining and the winds will be light. The bad news is that the synoptic charts for Sunday are a bit chaotic so just about anything could happen; there is no digital certainty that the apps suggest. There is a weak front coming from the north and the various systems are giving different results. It will be cloudy and quite windy, though the air will be a bit warmer still. It might snow moderately, it might snow a bit or it might not snow at all, my money is on a bit (never plump for an extreme in these instances wink ). Another front arrives on Sunday night and will bring snow for Monday which will be a grey old day and quite windy. The heaviest snow will be early Monday morning and anywhere between 8 and 20cm is on the cards (fingers crossed). Tuesday looks like being sunny with a windy start, potentially a busy morning for the pisteurs and an increase in the avalanche risk.

The roads should be quiet tomorrow with 21k arriving and 18k leaving. For those in aluminium tubes I can't see any problems for flying, might be damp in the UK and a bit bumpy oop north but nowt out of the ordinary. Bon Voyage - should be a good week overall if your are arriving, pistes are already good and if we are towards the top end of the forecasts for snow on Monday the rest of the week could be fun (with due prudence of course).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-01-19 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No danger of me EVER taking that drag!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway We saw a similar fog effect one morning in front of the Rosée B. It gave the impression of the river being boiling water. Very beautiful to watch.

@HoneyBunny, nor me. I did it years ago and vowed never again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
Another barkingly cold morning, in fact the air was so cold that there was quite an unusual phenomenon over the Lac du Chevril - evaporation or steam fog, you can see it in the sunlit area of the lake in the photo. To form the ar must be at least 10 degs colder then the water so any vapour given off from the water immediately recondenses into shallow swirly fog. Here endeth the first lesson:

As one of the gang was trying new skis we had a hurtle around the pistes down to Brev to make sure all was OK (new touring bindings to deal with) and then we ventured off piste in the Palet area where there was some really nice soft snow, so we did it again. There was a thin layer of cloud from mid morning which made the air feel damp and cold. As the fridge was empty I had an early lunch and down to Bourg, ahhh the bliss of an empty supermarket over lunchtime Very Happy

On the lift news the 3000 drag lift and associated slopes in Val are almost ready - this will also give lift served access to the Tunnel and the steep pitches at the Le Fornet side. NB it is only for good skiers only, the drag is super steep and the run down from the Tunnel is daunting.

Also over in Val a couple of boarders got stuck in the Gorges du Malpasset and required an expensive helo ride out. It is not even passable on skis, the pisteurs had to walk out on the summer track. Top tip don't ignore notices even if you are 2 delegates on The Napoleons Congress (a sort of captains of industry thing as far as I can work out).

The good news is that tomorrow will be 4 or 5 degrees warmer, the sun will be shining and the winds will be light. The bad news is that the synoptic charts for Sunday are a bit chaotic so just about anything could happen; there is no digital certainty that the apps suggest. There is a weak front coming from the north and the various systems are giving different results. It will be cloudy and quite windy, though the air will be a bit warmer still. It might snow moderately, it might snow a bit or it might not snow at all, my money is on a bit (never plump for an extreme in these instances wink ). Another front arrives on Sunday night and will bring snow for Monday which will be a grey old day and quite windy. The heaviest snow will be early Monday morning and anywhere between 8 and 20cm is on the cards (fingers crossed). Tuesday looks like being sunny with a windy start, potentially a busy morning for the pisteurs and an increase in the avalanche risk.

The roads should be quiet tomorrow with 21k arriving and 18k leaving. For those in aluminium tubes I can't see any problems for flying, might be damp in the UK and a bit bumpy oop north but nowt out of the ordinary. Bon Voyage - should be a good week overall if your are arriving, pistes are already good and if we are towards the top end of the forecasts for snow on Monday the rest of the week could be fun (with due prudence of course).

Is there a specific opening date?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:

Is there a specific opening date?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bar shaker, I have seen pics of the smoking Isere but never that high - that must have been a chilly day (or someone had left the hot shower running!!)
@Ptspeak, All it said was soon!

What a day, a few high clouds early on but they soon left a deep blue sky punctured only by contrails bringing holiday makers to Paradise! It was much less cold today, which was nice. As the Refuge du Col du Palet was open for one weekend only (full time from valentines Day) we decided on a tour over there. Booted and spurred we launched down from the Col to find fabulous, snow about 15 cm deep, freshtracks everywhere and much whooping!

We dropped to the Plan de Janin and skinned back to Chez Nico (the Refuge for lunch):

Another short skin and we were back in the land of skilifts.

And now to the weather, change is afoot. Since yesterday the fronts have decided to come quite a few miles further south and the sky will cloud over shortly from the north (difficult to believe looking out of the window but the satellite picture doesn't lie). It should start snowing in the early hours and continue through the day, the front does seem to retreat a bit and then advance (hokey cokey anyone) so there could be a lull midday. A strong breeze will make it feel cold. If you venture out care will be required the avi risk has been raised to 3 with another rise to 4 on Monday. I really wouldn't hazard a guess at the snowfall, I have seen estimates between 15 and 60cm for the 36 hours from midnight tonight. Just pray to whatever you believe in that Meteo France are right and the Swiss are wrong wink After heavier snowfall over Sunday night Monday will be snowy and windy, the snow will ease off in the afternoon and the odd ray of sunshine will appear. After a breezy and noisy start (the noise thanks to the pisteurs having the first real fireworks party of the season!) Tuesady will be sunny and much milder than last week. Wednesday will be similar but with a few fluffy clouds about. So it might be a bit frustrating over the next 2 and a half days but if it didn't snow it wouldn't be a ski resort!

For the travellers tomorrow, quiet roads. The airports in the UK will be showery and it will be a bumpy ride, it may even be windy enough at Leeds and Manchester to delay a landing. Over here wet but nothing to slow things down, providing the overnight snow at Geneva turns to rain at 5am as forecast. Once again it will be a week to make sure the safety belts are tight.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowHead snowHead The light snow started around midnight and has continued until now. It is quite windy outside and there has been about 10cm at a guess, the official measurer must still be in bed. The 'lull' may still happen in the middle of the day as the front ebbs and flows but the snow will be back tonight. It is very grey out there so a mornings admin is on the cards.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He's out of bed and the official score is 18cm, as the wind is from the NW, not much has landed on my balcony Laughing 35kph in the village and 85kph at the Panoramique, not much open up there!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,
I’m staying in Le Lac and it looked pretty murky this morning and I was tempted to stay in bed. Curiosity got the better of me so I had another cuppa and got changed. I headed up Tovière and down towards La Dialle.
As I was heading down the sun could be seen above the clouds (if that makes sense!) up at the top of the Marmottes chair, so that is where I headed. There was a bit of wind at the top but considering it was snowing the visibility was as good as could be expected.
There was loads of fresh snow and this was all around 9:30 - 10:30.
By 11:30 there were a lot more people about and pretty much all of the pistes and drag stuff had been mashed up.
After a few more lifts and runs the light has got much flatter and I have taken refuge in Charlie’s bar in Val Claret. It’s still snowing well outside.
[hope my ramblings are of some use or interest to somebody]
Enjoy!
Brendan
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@alfabug, Curiosity finally got the better of me too. So I gave in and went out for a mega-brunch at the Box Cafe in Lavachet. It definitely hit the spot but I can now feel an internal eyelid inspection coming on.

Still snowing and currently -1c in Lavachet.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 13-01-19 15:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GeorgeVII,
Still snowing outside the Marmot Arms!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lie in this am to recover from noise from yoofs next door making noise last night!
Gendarme’s tonight if it’s repeated
Bus to VC to patisserie for coffee and cake then walk back to le lac,via the lake!
Snowing quite hard Monday should be great snow underfoot
Relaxing pm watching snooker ideal background to a snooze!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 13-01-19 16:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
How are the temps with the new snow. Are there still freeze thaw conditions on the lower slopes. Cams still
look fairly poor with lots of wind. I suppose there is always a lot of wind here though.
snow report
mcg wrote:
How are the temps with the new snow. Are there still freeze thaw conditions on the lower slopes. Cams still
look fairly poor with lots of wind. I suppose there is always a lot of wind here though.

Temp 0.1C on balcony at16.09
Snow over Lavachet is not being blown about much no idea what wind is doing higher up
ski holidays
@alfabug, We must have passed in the street, I walked up there twice, once for bread, once with an airbag, helmet and cords, its what all the fashionistas are rocking this year. Thanks for the report, its always good to hear that my decision was right, easy for me cos I'm here all the time and don't have to go out on days like today wink.

Now the reason for my strange garb on Rue de la Poste, the 3 years was up on my ABS so it was off to Mountain Attitude on Rue de la Poste (the Touring Skiers Toybox) to see Ludo for a new handle and gas bottle. I decided I wanted to try the handle with a helmet and my biggest mitts on to check it was still easy to pull - it was.

So there I was:

Followed by:

And after a total of 3 secs I was surrounded by a faint whiff of cordite and "I've got wings". I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere about setting you free wink

Anyway its still snowing and its getting heavier

The snow will intensify through the night and the wind will also pick up, it will be howling in the villages in the small hours. The wind will drop mid morning and the snow fall will become light and stop sometime between lunch and afternoon tea. So its likely to be a whiteout in the morning and with another 20cm or so falling between now and lunchtime tomorrow the pisteurs are going to be very busy. Expect an early alarm call as they start blasting at 7am. It is likely to be a very slow start so check the app before leaving the warmth! As ever it will start with Tichot and spread from there. The avalanche risk will be higher than today (as yet the official forecast has not been published - which normally means its going to be very complicated). So if there is a break in the afternoon be very very careful off piste. After a cold night Tuesday will be bright and sunny with a few fluffy clouds in the morning which should disappear. There may well be a severe dose of powder fever after the recent snow drought. Wednesday looks sunny and really quite mild (more complications for avalanche forecasting). Thursday is a bit far off to be sure but a bit cloudy in the morning with snow showers in the afternoon.
snow report
As I suspected its avalanche risk 4. In the words of Thierry Arnou:

Pour les skieurs, la situation nivologique devient dangereuse avec une forte instabilité
ski holidays
There is a wonderful job opportunity to replace the rather vague and mostly incorrect forecast talking heads we suffer from in the west of the UK!
But then why would you swap Tignes for a winter back home? Very Happy
latest report
@snowornever, Very Happy Very Happy But to get a Yorkshireman to the west- that would be a challenge wink

@mcg, I think its fair to say we haven't had freeze thaw for at least a week even down in Brev, we have had freeze, hard freeze and very hard freeze. So some of the pistes were hard and were scraping back to the ex frozen stuff but after all this snow and some bashing all the pistes will be in excellent condition, the mid week temps may change things a little but the snowpack is now so cold I don't think it will be much of a problem. Off piste will be very tricky for a few days, with old hard layers, unconsolidated grains and a whole pile of new on top which could travel a long way...
ski holidays
mcg wrote:

Just back yesterday from a week in Tignes. I didn't see any sign of freeze thaw conditions - it would need to have been much, much warmer for that. There were a couple of places where we encountered frozen pistes, but they weren't the result of recent freeze thaw. Red run Chardons above Tignes 1800 was even more horrid than usual.
snow conditions
I’m reading sunshine tomorrow but yes still snowing now. Who votes for sunshine tomorrow?
snow report
@alfabug, I'll vote for it if you think it'll help! Madeye-Smiley snowHead
ski holidays
Great days skiing - solarise first thing ... black Rhône aloes down fab snow
Then Tignes up motte funi a couple of times and down to la daille
Snow lovely up top but bit heavy down low where temps were about zero.
Altogether superb
Signed up for alpine experience Tuesday and Wednesday
Still lightly snowing
snow report
It is howling now! Its difficult to tell how much is falling as all the snow is going sideways but from the radar picture the heavy stuff is not going to arrive for a couple of hours yet.@alfabug, By tomorrow do you mean Tuesday - if not can you tell me where you buy your rose tinted Very Happy eyewear??
ski holidays
It’s still absolutely howling outside. No idea how much has fallen yet but I don’t expect much open first thing this morning.
latest report
At 4am this morning it sounded like there was a new TGV line through Lavachet! The snow was blowing past so quickly that it didn't actually look like it was snowing at all.

Lots of control work underway now. Time for another brew.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
23cm in the village and 25 on the GM - though how they are able to measure it is beyond me! Currently 60kph winds in Le Lac and 140 kph at the Panoramique. Quite a few hopeful souls wandering round the snow front, the coffee bars are going to be busy. The winds should drop after lunch but it looks like it is going to snow all day, its actually snowing heavily at the moment. No forecasts for lift openings yet Sad
snow conditions
@chocksaway, I should have gone to specsavers!

In Le Lac the little Almes chairlift is carrying people, Palafour is stationary.
snow conditions
Quite a few lifts now open but the wind has picked up again. Brev and Boisses lifts open but you can't get back to lack as Aiguille Rouge closed due to the wind and now the 2100-1800 road is blocked by a bus at 90 degrees to it we really are stuck!
ski holidays
Did the bowl in reverse, paquis piste h tichot grattalu grand huit was going to do palafour as I am a masochist but luckily it was shut temporarily!
Flat light howling wind lumpy snow but apart from that it was fantastic!
snow conditions
Well a lot of lifts did open and according to all the forecast the snow should now be light or stopped, but its absolutely honking down with great big flakes. There were a few points when I was almost tempted out as the Pointe de Chardonnet appeared but I had a word with myself and stopped in!

The sky will clear at some stage tonight, tomorrow morning will feel very cold but the sun will be out and after a windy night there will only be light breezes. It will be a slow start as the pisteurs rearrange all the snow again, off piste it is avalanche risk 4 so be very, very careful. If you are not with a professional stick to shallow slopes or those above pistes. There will be lots of skier/rider triggered avalanches tomorrow. Wednesday will be a day of sunny periods, varying amounts of cloud and relatively mild for the time of year. A front will attack us from the North on Thursday, there may be a glimpse of the sun during the cornflake period but it will soon cloud over and then showers showers will predominate all afternoon. It is likely that we will see snow showers on Friday as well but with more sunny intervals but the detail is still up for grabs!
ski holidays
@snowornever, wrote " flat light, howling wind, lumpy snow ". What's not to like? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
@snowornever, wrote " flat light, howling wind, lumpy snow ". What's not to like? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cool
snow report
Morning!
Any tips on where to go or not to go this morning please?
From Le Lac I’m right next to the Palafour lift so that’s the obvious way ‘up’.
Thanks
Brendan
snow report
@alfabug, You'll have to ask earlier than that on a morning like today Very Happy Very Happy

Yes the skies were blue, the sun was shining and it was cold, especially above 2500m where there was a cutting breeze.. Firstly lets cover the pistes either very good or fab; done! Now off piste was very much the curates egg, it was not the epic powder that was the talk of the bars last night; don't get me wrong there were some pockets of nice fresh wind compacted snow but they were far from everywhere. A lot of exposed parts have been stripped of snow either to the frozen hard pack underneath or in the case of the top 100m of the North Face of the Borsat back to terra firma, yip, all you can see is rocks!

We started in the Palet sector (as most bits are less steep) and did find some nice pockets/pitches:

Our tracks are very 'straight sided' so not powder in the purists book. Again stopping on the ridges/top of bumps required edges though. Same for the airport run. After a late coffee we did Familial, similar story even among the trees which was a bit surprising (though it was close to zero when it was snowing at lower levels) and then the normally reliable Borsat gardens had a lot of hard sastrugi. One of the hidden valleys was really nice though. I said I covered the pistes but a quick mention for Trolles it was great, grippy easy to carve snow.

Tomorrow will be sunny to start with and a bit milder than today, hopefully with only a breath of wind. A few bubbly clouds will build up in the afternoon, nothing really to worry about though. Thursday will be a day for the early bird, it will start nice with sunny periods but a cold front will arrive from the northwest around midday, so it will cloud over rapidly and light or moderate snow will start around lunchtime plus or minus and hour or two (given a local lunch is 2 hours that really covers 11-1500!!). The snow will continue until around daybreak and the cloud will break up a bit to leave a reasonable day to enjoy the 4 or 5 cm of fresh snow. There is much disagreement on Saturday, it may be a day of sunny periods, or complete cloud, or light snow showers but nothing too bad for transfer day. Sunday - toss a coin - sun or snow Very Happy
snow report
To be honest I was on a lift before I checked any replies.
Would anyone like to meet up tomorrow as I’m by myself anyway?
Thanks
Brendan
snow report
Yesterday. We did several pitches off the drag at the end of Rue de la Poste. Between there and Golf. Took it very cautious but it was all very good. One slide in a gulley we decided against. Going up Merles watched a skier caused avalanche on steep pitch to left of the lift up to the Percee. No one caught in it thankfully. Be safe.
latest report
Having had a chat with a local expert we decided on a day of the famous 'Tours' in Val D'Isere. It was a beautiful morning and much warmer, later on a few clouds appeared from the North but nothing to spoil the view. First off was Tour de Charvet (always good to be out of the gorge before the rocks above heat up). The pitches we found were great, not that deep so the occasional hiccough over a lump or two. We did put freshtracks down, far left of the pisture but the river bed was a bit bumpy on the exit!

We then went up to Cugnai, I am used to French Rap, R&B or similar on the lifties radios but there was a sea shanty playing at the bottom of the Cugnai Chair! Perhaps it is in honour of the Royal Navy who are having their annual champs in Tignes. By design we did the left hand side of Cugnai, the main area is tracked out but towards the Col Du Four we found freshtracks. As we were just coming out there was a cry of 'avalanche' and the notorious Super Arcelle had slipped a far distance from us across the valley, it was long but luckily shallow so we saw a couple of people being tumbled about, it nearly caught another group with an ESF instructor so we skied over to see if all was OK, seemingly it was. Sobering.

After a coffee and Croissant at the Solaise Lounge we fired off to Le Fornet and Pays Desert, where we found the pitch of the day; a picture paints a thousand words:

So we did it again!

After a clear night initially, there will be quite a lot of cloud about in the morning. You may see the sun over breakfast but the sky will be mostly obscured by lift opening and light snow should start around lunchtime as the cold front arrives. It will also be colder and the lack of sun will make it feel worse. What happens afterwards is all a bit of an issue as the Atlantic Charts are all a bit wishy washy so bear with me! After a windy night Friday will be a cold day with variable amounts of cloud, very difficult to pin down. the wind should drop by mid morning though. Saturday looks cold and mainly cloudy, there may be a few light snow showers and the odd glimpse of the sun. On Sunday the wind springs round to the east and the best guess is a day of light snow showers and sunny periods. But there is a depression over the Gulf of Genoa which could develop into a weak retour d'est (remember those from last year??) and there is snow forecast further into Italy so don't be surprised if this changes!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy