Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
This mornings surprise was about half a mm of snow on the balcony and some mist that was floating around between 19 and 2300m. But that soon cleared. It was much colder and the winds did shut one or two lifts; but maybe it should have been two more layers not one. Much busier this morning for some reason but we did a cruise round Grand Pré and the Bellvarde before a couple of goes at Trolles, because it was quiet! After an early lunch we took the day 2 and a half day skier down Palafour 3 times (no falls on the third so he was allowed home for a siesta!!). Most of the pistes ar still fine but the high movement areas are getting scraped earlier. Not much else to say really, the pic somes up the day - well wrapped up!

After a very cold night, tomorrow will be broadly similar to today, a little less wind perhaps (but still enough breeze to chill the bare bits!) but cold and sunny. Another cold night will follow, but the breeze will be lighter on Friday and a thinish layer of high altitude cloud will form in the afternoon, the air will be a little less cold. The wind will return on Saturday, the morning will be mainly sunny, a few more clouds later. The large orange thing is set to dominate on Sunday, a bit warmer to.

Now to the big $64 million question: when will it snow. Having had a shake of the pine cones, a sniff of the seaweed and a throw of the dice there appears to be a breakdown in this dominant high pressure system from the middle of next week which might lead to light snow showers mid week. Its still early but the jetstream alters track towards the weekend of 12/13th Jan and a stream of Atlantic fronts (ie snow) seems like the probable outcome - here's hoping. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fingers crossed! I'm coming out on the 26th.. Was about to shave my beard off, but think I'll keep it until I'm back now Very Happy

I hope a few more dustings come down before we're out there, as I convinced 3 newbies and 3 experienced people (that haven't been there before) to come with me to Tignes as it's such a nice and snow sure resort snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bar shaker, A pretty slick ride down to Rosies' today. Not helped by the fact that Stade has remained closed over the holidays. +1 For the new Gondola. I think the seats were on maximum toaster setting today.

Lapped around Tommueses a few times around lunch/early afternoon as it was blissfully quiet.

One thing that I did spot this morning was that they appeared to have run out of Ambulances in Val Claret. Rescue sleds were lined up at the roadside waiting to offload casualties!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, sounds good so long as it don't stop me getting to resort on 13 Jan.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i really hope it comes midweek as i get there this saturday for a week. On a separate note. this will be the first time i will be driving myself to Tignes. Does anyone know where Lac 3 parking is please?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've given up on any fresh stuff for our week from this Saturday, so if we do get a little freshen up midweek it will be a bonus!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GeorgeVII wrote:
@bar shaker, A pretty slick ride down to Rosies' today. Not helped by the fact that Stade has remained closed over the holidays. +1 For the new Gondola. I think the seats were on maximum toaster setting today.

Stade was set out for racing every morning, but cleared and open almost every afternoon, last week. It was definitely the best way down in the afternoon. We lapped OK/Orange Diebold and Verte a few times to the bottom on a couple of early mornings. Icy, perfectly smooth and huge fun... before the crowds arrived. Great for practising edge control.

GeorgeVII wrote:
One thing that I did spot this morning was that they appeared to have run out of Ambulances in Val Claret. Rescue sleds were lined up at the roadside waiting to offload casualties!

Shocked Shocked Shocked There are some lunatic Frenchies careering around. Many have Darwinian attributes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mk28 wrote:
Does anyone know where Lac 3 parking is please?

In Le Lac.

It is the one under the Maison de Tignes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keeping a keen eye on these updates - arrive on the 13th!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
App is showing a slightly Baltic -13 this morning. Time for another bowl of porridge wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do I spy a little whitening of the roads in the Village on the webcams this morning?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sheffskibod wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Im the opposite and love that burgers aren’t cremated in France.

Hmmm... Confused A cautionary word of advice from the Food Standards Agency website:
Quote:
Always cook burgers thoroughly, whether you're cooking them on the barbecue or in the kitchen. Burgers served rare or undercooked may contain harmful bacteria that could cause food poisoning.

Before serving your burgers, always check that:
They're steaming hot all the way through and when you cut into the centre, none of the meat is pink

And Ireland is the latest country to crack down (pink burgers are already banned in Canada): https://www.thejournal.ie/restaurants-and-caterers-warned-not-to-ask-how-customers-want-their-burgers-cooked-4156980-Jul2018/

The FSA has guidelines for businesses which does allow burgers to be served pink where the quality control is deemed to be very high.

So my rule of thumb is if a burger place will serve you a pink burger - the meat will be very fresh , probably minced and handled on site. never frozen.
They obviously take good care of their food sourcing and prep. Eat here (whether you like them pink or not)

If they will not serve you a burger that is pink , their quality controls are not high , burgers likely frozen and bought in. So eat somewhere else !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can anyone recommend a shop in Val for servicing. I know they all do it but if someone knows of a good one (i'll put this in Steve's topic too). Given it's probs going to be icy starts I want to get them done when I arrive on Saturday pm for a Sunday morning start. We are staying right in the middle of town at Alpina lodge. Thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
burdock wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Im the opposite and love that burgers aren’t cremated in France.

Hmmm... Confused A cautionary word of advice from the Food Standards Agency website:
Quote:
Always cook burgers thoroughly, whether you're cooking them on the barbecue or in the kitchen. Burgers served rare or undercooked may contain harmful bacteria that could cause food poisoning.

Before serving your burgers, always check that:
They're steaming hot all the way through and when you cut into the centre, none of the meat is pink

And Ireland is the latest country to crack down (pink burgers are already banned in Canada): https://www.thejournal.ie/restaurants-and-caterers-warned-not-to-ask-how-customers-want-their-burgers-cooked-4156980-Jul2018/

The FSA has guidelines for businesses which does allow burgers to be served pink where the quality control is deemed to be very high.

So my rule of thumb is if a burger place will serve you a pink burger - the meat will be very fresh , probably minced and handled on site. never frozen.
They obviously take good care of their food sourcing and prep. Eat here (whether you like them pink or not)

If they will not serve you a burger that is pink , their quality controls are not high , burgers likely frozen and bought in. So eat somewhere else !

That's my thoughts too.

I had a Patate Burger at Gourmandine (next to Rond Point in Val) a couple of days ago. Potato gratin patties rather than bread, bacon tomato, onion, leaves and mayo, around a perfectly cooked substantial pink burger. It was delish!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A medic friend of mine told me that steak is fine served rare as you cook it on the outside which is where the bacteria would be sitting. Once you mince it up to make a steak haché, the bacteria from the outside are spread throughout the burger - and thus cooking it on the outside does not help one bit to kill the bacteria on the inside.

I've never really fancied burgers since...
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
A medic friend of mine told me that steak is fine served rare as you cook it on the outside which is where the bacteria would be sitting. Once you mince it up to make a steak haché, the bacteria from the outside are spread throughout the burger - and thus cooking it on the outside does not help one bit to kill the bacteria on the inside.

It's amazing some of us are still alive Laughing

Did your friend have anything to say about soft French cheeses? Shocked
ski holidays
Anyway, back to what matters! It was jolly cold today! Bright blue skies from the off and mainly light breezes but the Pissailas Glacier lifts were closed to wind (according to the Skiplan site), it must have been the northerlies funnelling up the valley as there was hardly a breeze up on the Solaise. I did see 2 small clouds about the size of a sheep and Mont Blanc looked like it was smoking (or is that vaping) but the only trouble today was cold fingers! Two of us had a charge down to La Daille at 0900, where there seemed to have been a collective alarm clock failure, the place was deserted. The snow cannons were still on, which reduced vis a bit but made for pleasurable skiing. We hopped on the bus to Laisinant (looking at the massive queues in Val Centre) on the way through where there was no queue. We then skied direct to the Solaise - great snow and not many people. Even Arcelle was in good nick, apart from the bottom 20% where cover is a bit thin (reflecting the early season snowline). I have to say the snowmakers in Val have done a good job down the front of the Solaise, it was a pleasure to ski down Plan M and Rhone Alpes - its not often you can say that! I am guessing we were in the first 100 down so not sure if it lasts till late afternoon.

Lunch was taken at the Savouna on Palafour - great omelettes! Having collected the aspiring intermediate (no longer a beginner!) we cruised Creux whilst everyone was at lunch. By 3 it was getting chilly so back for tea and medals.

After a barkingly cold night tomorrow should start with clear skies but a few clouds may well appear fairly quickly. A thin layer of high cloud will appear for the afternoon, blocking out the sun. From an academic point of view the air will be a couple of degrees warmer, I don't think we will notice. As the lifts shut the wind will pick up ahead of another cold night. Saturday will feel cold despite being sunny with some fluffy clouds about as there will be a gusty wind especially at altitude. Most of the clouds will disappear for Sunday, there will be a breeze but it might feel a degree or two warmer. Currently Monday looks similar, potentially a few more clouds. Beyond that the forecasts are disagreeing, but a slightly higher chance of mid week snow showers than yesterday, remember the cheques in the post.........
latest report
@chocksaway, The snow cannons were still running after lunch all the way down to Rosie's. I also lapped Creux around lunchtime. The crowds seem to move around like migrating wildebeest. Grattalu was rammed yesterday with a fair old queue at the lift yet everywhere else I went was relatively quiet.

Couple of "tea bags" in the gloves today. Temperature was showing as -8c mid afternoon at Tommueses entry point.
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Now't like tea bagging on a cold day wink
ski holidays
Does anyone have any experience renting from AB Skishop (https://www.skimium.fr/store/ab-skishop-163)?

I was looking around and they seem to have one of the best deals available for a snowboard package, almost €40 cheaper than InterSport for a better model of board.

Has anyone rented from there before?

Thanks
snow report
Hi @dunc999, go to Killy Sport, head upstairs and ask for Jeremy (or Nicolas if Jeremy is not there). It should be convenient if you are in the centre of town: Killy Sport is behind the main roundabout, opposite direction to the tunnel that the bus takes. Next door to the tourist office.

Feel free to be fussy about what you want. They have the latest Wintersteiger monster machine (you will see it behind the counter) and can do exactly what you want on the base in .25 degree steps, ditto on the sides. And if you are not happy they will do it again until you are. Mention that Bob sent you wink who was delighted with Jeremy's work on his Heads both the first time and the second...

Good shout getting them done. La Face was bodies everywhere this evening and you might note above that Val C ran out of ambulances!
ski holidays
Quote:

Does anyone have any experience renting from AB Skishop

Yep, used them plenty of times and generally pretty good in there. My brother used them Christmas week and the skis only looked a couple of weeks old.
snow report
@bobski62, thank you!!
ski holidays
Hey guys!

Counting down the days until the 15th when myself and the girlfriend commence our run for the border! We’re both hoping for good things snow wise - been keeping an eye on the long range forecast that work conveniently provides.

Does anyone have any recommendations for quiet restaurants or bars that we could safely have a romantic birthday meal in around the Val Claret area? Not looking for night life or anything, just somewhere with hearty portions and decent beer!

Fio
latest report
Fionelo wrote:
Hey guys!

Does anyone have any recommendations for quiet restaurants or bars that we could safely have a romantic birthday meal in around the Val Claret area? Not looking for night life or anything, just somewhere with hearty portions and decent beer!

Fio

I'm not sure of anything in Val Claret that fits your bill. These are in Val d'Isere...

For lunch, I would definitely recommend Peau de Vache in Val d'Isere. It's half way up Le Face and you can get to/from it on the Bellevarde Express if you don't want to ski in or out from it. The inside is decadent and theatrical and the food is exceptional.

Also consider lunch at L'Attelier d'Edmond in Fornet. This is a 2 star Michelin restaurant (and worthy of both stars) but they do a special lunch for approx €30 each. Dinner there is just incredible, but will cost two of your around €500. If you have the budget, definitely do it, otherwise it's a great lunch.

For a great dinner, try La Moura Hotel. The menu is Japanese/French fusion and simply delicious. The restaurant is upmarket and classy, perfect for a special occasion. Their sushi is excellent. After dinner, they have a luxury Mercedes shuttle that will drive you home.

At all of these it is essential to book.

My GF's birthday is the 16th and we will be doing the same!!
ski holidays
sno trax wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone have any experience renting from AB Skishop

Yep, used them plenty of times and generally pretty good in there. My brother used them Christmas week and the skis only looked a couple of weeks old.

Cheers, I'll go with them so!
latest report
bar shaker wrote:
Fionelo wrote:
Hey guys!

Fio

I'm not sure of anything in Val Claret that fits your bill. These are in Val d'Isere...

For lunch, I would definitely recommend Peau de Vache in Val d'Isere. It's half way up Le Face and you can get to/from it on the Bellevarde Express if you don't want to ski in or out from it. The inside is decadent and theatrical and the food is exceptional.

Also consider lunch at L'Attelier d'Edmond in Fornet. This is a 2 star Michelin restaurant (and worthy of both stars) but they do a special lunch for approx €30 each. Dinner there is just incredible, but will cost two of your around €500. If you have the budget, definitely do it, otherwise it's a great lunch.

For a great dinner, try La Moura Hotel. The menu is Japanese/French fusion and simply delicious. The restaurant is upmarket and classy, perfect for a special occasion. Their sushi is excellent. After dinner, they have a luxury Mercedes shuttle that will drive you home.

At all of these it is essential to book.

My GF's birthday is the 16th and we will be doing the same!!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Unfortunately, I think all of those are well out of our budget. Although the menu at La Mourra looks biblical, I don’t think either of us can justify €65 for a steak! rolling eyes

I may be sticking my chef’s outfit on at this rate and cooking lasagne! Shocked
ski holidays
@Fionelo, Hi I do know a few restos in VC, I know them all in Lac and Lacachet. If you want an evening do then let me know your budget (inc wine) and any major dislikes and I will do what I can wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fionelo wrote:
Hey guys!

Counting down the days until the 15th when myself and the girlfriend commence our run for the border! We’re both hoping for good things snow wise - been keeping an eye on the long range forecast that work conveniently provides.

Fio

What budget for the food? And does it have to Val Claret? The free bus service around Tignes is very good.
latest report
Thanks for the updates. I’m taking my first trip to Tignes Le Lac arriving Sat 13th and hoping for a top up of fresh snow before then.
snow conditions
alfabug wrote:
Thanks for the updates. I’m taking my first trip to Tignes Le Lac arriving Sat 13th and hoping for a top up of fresh snow before then.

It ain't the hope that kills you

It's the avalanches. Be careful if you get fresh snow after days of sun. wink
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Fionelo, Hi I do know a few restos in VC, I know them all in Lac and Lacachet. If you want an evening do then let me know your budget (inc wine) and any major dislikes and I will do what I can wink

@chocksaway as I’ll be paying, €100 all in for the both of us I think should do it (we’re not big winers but when in Rome...) whilst leaving enough for fuel money on the return trip, and we’ll both eat anything, the more obscure the better! Cool
snow report
@Fionelo, In Lavachet the Brasero (the other decent places are €45 per head for food). Its right by the bus stop so easy from anywhere. In Val Claret have a look at The Couloir (its in the middle, pedestrian area), same owners as previous. For the obscure: the Breton Creperie in Le Lac (on Rosset Promenade) is good. Some mates ate their last night and were raving, I've had lunch there and it was excellent. Burger in a crepe is a real winner, beware the strength of the Breton cider Shocked
ski holidays
Back to today. Another very chilly morning and a thin layer of very high cloud over the top of us made it seem a bit parky! The blue sky was not far away though, here's Mont Blanc, Le Dent du Géant and Les Grandes Jorasses looking splendid:

Another morning of charging round hardish pistes complicated by the fact that Val D'Isere seemed shut early on. Whether the power problems (caused by a 20KV transformer going pop) which led to 2 out of the 3 main phone/data networks going down had anything to do with it I don't know, but the Bellvarde was spookily quiet and still at 0920. The La Daille gondy had a morning off as well (seems to share new gondy disease with the one on Brev!). So we ended up with a replan and went to Brev, hard but doable. Following another early lunch the embryonic intermediate was subjected to a couple of runs down Genepy, before an 'early bath' to avoid frantic Friday.

After another cold night tomorrow will be sunny but windy, there will be a few clouds around, a bit like today. The wind may cause some lifts to close (later especially), we are still trapped between the UK High and the Grecian Low that I talked about the other day which wind is going to be an on and off feature of the next few days. Wrap up tomorrow. Sunday looks similar, maybe a couple of degrees warmer, but in a biting wind you wont notice. Monday should be more benign as the wind should drop, but expect more clouds especially in the afternoon. The changes start on Tuesday, it will be mainly cloudy, windy, with the sun maybe peeping from behind a cloud. The cloud should thicken enough to give light snow showers in the afternoon, a dusting at least. Fast moving snow showers are on the cards for Wednesday, cold windy and 5-10cm of snow on current forecasts. Which is probably enough (as Kenzie pointed out) given the potential for avalanches if we have a dump on this hard base.

For the travellers tomorrow, really the only problems will be the roads heading home. 29000 vehicles are forecast to converge on Moutiers, so jams are inevitable at peak times. Be gone by 8! With only 17000 vehicles heading towards the snow there will be few problems (yellow jackets permitting). The weather for flying is benign on both sides of the Channel. Worthy of note is the northerly wind, if it is towards the higher end of the forecast at Chambery, you may be treated to a dramatic but safe approach as the aircraft descends over the lake and then flies lowish over the town of Aix Les Bains to land heading north. Seats A-C will get a good view of the mountains, in D to F a view through the velux windows below.
snow report
@chocksaway, re. restaurants in VC, is Pignatta any good these days? I recall (vaguely) some epic late lunches in there on bad weather days Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@moosepig, It was very nice in March, an old fave of ours.
snow conditions
@moosepig, Not been myself, but heard nothing bad, I know its sister Oh La Vache! is very good.

The calm after the storm........... As the hordes departed (not many traffic probs by the look of it) we were left with blue skies and empty pistes (and relax!). The only fly in the ointment was a biting wind above 2500m, which closed the Le Fornet higher lifts and made exposed parts suffer. No lessons for the intermediate today (thanks New Gen - good job!) so we explored the blue runs down to Brevieres, still in good nick, I think the reds are a little more tricky. It was then round to Grattalu, a great place to practice as its such an even and wide slope. Creux followed lunch and then back round the Palet blues to the ski shop and a spot of packing before they get the 0 dark hundred bus in the morning. Its great to see the transformation from absolute novice to blue run skier in a week.

Tomorrows weather will be similar to todays, sun with a few clouds scurrying quickly across the heavens, so wrap up warm if its Day 1 and you are going higher than the main villages. Monday will be sunny with fewer clouds and less wind, so a nice winters day ahead of the changes. The tug of war between weather systems continues but Tuesday now looks like being cloudy, windy and snowy all day, light snow until lunchtime and heavier in the afternoon, maybe around 5cm in total. Wednesday will be windy with snow showers all day, with perhaps a hint of sun in between, again another 5 -7 cm of snow. The forecast for Thursday and beyond is up for grabs, just about anything could happen, I will just settle for more unsettled!

For the travellers tomorrow it will be a good day for flying both over here and over there (it might be a bit drizzly oop north and at Lyon early on) and the roads will be quiet. So from mid week with a few cm of new snow, very few jolliday makers its all going to be a lot easier Very Happy
snow conditions
@chocksaway, we are setting off on Friday so all good news. Thanks for the update. Maybe a few more cm’s?? wink
snow report
James the Last wrote:

Exactly so. No matter how clean your kitchen or how scrupulous are your practices, that’s exactly what happens
snow report
What a cracker of a day. Sunshine, blue skies and less windy.

However, about an hour ago I witnessed some remarkably accurate heli flying. If it was a drill then I doubt that they could have found a more difficult place to practice. The helicopter was inching into one of the "Fingers" couloirs above the Lake. At one point it looked like he had a toe down on the dividing ridge. This was repeated a couple of times as they ferried personnel from the top of the Toviere area. Winch man was busy.

@chocksaway, may have more info on the incident.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy