Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott pole powder baskets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got a pair of Scott poles that have the baskets with the metal ferrule in. Last season I bought a pair of powder baskets for them from the emporium of Mr @spyderjon.
These: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/ski-poles-baskets/scott-x-plor-90mm-powder-baskets-detail.html
However these have completely ruined the feel of the poles, so much so that it is visible in my skiing with them. So much so that on a recent BASI course the trainer actually suggested I changed them back, and there was an immediate and noticible difference once I did.
Now, this is going to sound like the kind of thing that belongs on cycling not skiing forums, but the piste basket weight is 10g and the powder basket is 21g, and that 11g (coupled with the wind resistance of the solid construction) really does make a difference. Enough to turn lovely poles into horrible poles.
So my question, is there a lighter weight alternative? I see @spyderjon sells these:
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/ski-poles-baskets/scott-x-plor-90mm-powder-baskets-345-detail.html
But the implication in the description is that these are not suitable for my poles due to the absense of ferrule.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea if they fit, but the lightest powder baskets I've encountered were K2 ones, a circle with webbing between it, not the sturdiest, but entirely functional, and very light. They sell them separately, but if you buy new poles think you normally get both.

Ultimately baskets ain't rocket science, so if required some gentle bodging could probably get most baskets to fit on most poles.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it April 1st? rolling eyes Toofy Grin

If it's not then no, the vented non-ferrule basket will not fit your pole. Simplest solution is to drill some holes in the ones you have.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:

If it's not then no, the vented non-ferrule basket will not fit your pole. Simplest solution is to drill some holes in the ones you have.

lol, no it's not April 1st! That's the second simplest solution. The simplest solution is to buy some lighter ones that fit - hence the question Laughing
Thanks for confirming the vented ones won't fit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, my skiing largely is ruined by an absence of ability rather than whether 11g has been added to my poles. It must be an honorary April 1st.

Bearing in mind that Ant skied perfectly well last year with one 150 and one 160 ski (see post from Spring) this fetish with baskets seems a little OTT.

I do fret about detail in the hills - goggle lens, weight of my ice axe - and we do a mean discussion of mountain bike geometry (1 degree here and 2 degrees there). But really.......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Marginal gains? Laughing

Methinks this is a wind up!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tubaski wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

lol, no it's not April 1st! That's the second simplest solution. The simplest solution is to buy some lighter ones that fit - hence the question Laughing
Thanks for confirming the vented ones won't fit.

You get how gnarly it looks when someone shows up with powder baskets they've home drilled with plastic swarf hanging off in pursuit of saving 9g of weight though, right? Add bits of gaffer tape and cable ties randomly to boost the gnar.

Personally I think I would get the drill out before spending any money, but that approach has got me into trouble in the past.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy