Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller, We arrive on the 10th Smile Yippee
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flying out to Arc1800 tomorrow, bring on the fresh snow !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Came in from Lyon this evening and quite a few people were stopping to fit chains.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair, will you be in les arcs at the end of the month/start of April?

We are skiing in Japan at the moment and will be back in 1600 for a week or two from about the 28th
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, that's the current plan. Hope to see you then!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A reported 10cm of snow since yesterday means the pistes have a layer of soft stuff on top of a mainly very hard packed base with some ice. (Around town, with the Parisians on holiday, this is supplemented with an objectionable amount of dog poo). Getting chopped up fairly quickly in warm temperatures.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today we headed over the Bellecote and managed two laps in the Bellecote bowl on fresh untracked powder before a run down the Canadian Couloir in more fresh powder from the easy entrance and a nice drink at the bottom!! Then it was back to Les Arcs and a fast ski home.

An amazing day day after all the lumpy, chalky and cruddy snow we have been skiing in the past week.

The pistes we skied had been freshened up nicely by the snow yesterday and the off piste had about 15 cm's of new powder on a firm base which was very nice. We even had fresh tracks on the way to the Vanoise Express in the morning and on my return home in the afternoon.

Tomorrow we hope to have another powder day as it appears to be staying cold tonight.

Hope you enjoy the photos. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair, I thought you avoided half term
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We woke up this morning in hakido to heavy rain. It may be snowing at the top of the mountain but at the moment the whole family has gone back to bed!

Full report on Japan to follow
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, I was away last week but got back on Friday.

Busier today but pistes are in good nick, if still soft in the afternoons. More snow expected tomorrow Very Happy .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know of anywhere that is open in 1800 at around 7 in the morning on a Saturday?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad news reported from Les Arcs / Peisey today:

https://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2019/03/07/le-proprietaire-d-un-restaurant-meurt-dans-l-incendie-de-son-restaurant

The saving grace would appear to be that he died of a heart condition rather than the fire itself.

I am very glad we had a meal there this season. Whilst the food wasn't always the best, and the service not the quickest, and his English non-existent (and his local accent somewhat tricky to interpret) it was always a pleasure and a highlight to visit Jean-Pierre's La Ferme. And his version of Genepi was certainly a tongue tingler. I hope his daughter (? Charlotte I believe) is ok.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just arrived 2000. Snowline really high, rain till 2000. Avalanche had 1/2 closed the road below 1600, nothing major. More tomorrow been a long day. Hope the temp drops.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, yes, rather miserable and wet down here in 1800 Sad .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the freezing level is going to drop drastically on Monday before rising again and then falling back on Wednesday/Thursday.

Looks like lots of snow about.

We've been umming and aahhing about a trip on 6-13th April. A good late season could swing it!
snow report
@Layne, as you say, lots of snow this week. All being well this will refresh the place nicely. If the weather carries on as it has today, I'll be planning an early return to the UK! Fingers crossed....
snow report
Started snowing heavy in Arc2000 in the last 30 mins. Windy too
snow conditions
Stopped snowing. Till tomorrow it looks like for some decent stuff. Skiing todays, doesn't look boarding conditions
ski holidays
@Layne, likewise, and that week too!

Probably going to AirBnB up in 2000 even tho' my flat is in 1950. My leaseback only includes a certain nuber of weeks p.a., which I've already exceeded, and even with a major 'owner discount' the prices are too high for a 3 day jaunt - not helped by there being only 2 of us in a much larger than necessary apt.

But do hope to catch pu with the Arcs crew when/if we get there.
latest report
Went out on skis, did one run and decided the soft heavy snow was easier to board on so back into apartment for a gear swap. Even up around 2000 the snow was very heavy. We did some runs went up Comborciere and down to 1600. Overall conditions are very good, off piste looks very bare in parts but the pistes are in very good nick. Winds picked up massively at lunchtime. Arpette was shut early afternoon but other links over the top stayed open. We came in vai Carelly and Lac and boarding down towards the 1/2 pipe part of lac the wind was so strong that even on a steep piece on a board we couldn't move, never felt anything like it, throw in some hail and it was deeply unpleasant.

Got in early as we had jobs to do. I needed to wax the bases of the boards. I had them done in a shop in January out of laziness but regretted it, awful job done, doing it yourself does make such a difference. Overall nice day, winds up, seen snow, hail and rain. Its 6pm in Arc 2000 and it has been snowing constantly now for a few hours. Wind is forecast very high tomorrow so will need to see what lifts open.

The things you find in shops in ski resorts. I use a HDMI cable to run films of my laptop onto the tv, it wasn't working today so figure cable broken. Trip to Bourg tomorrow or shall I just check the Sherpa in Arc 2000 and yes they sell HDMI cables.....

Some photos.
Top of Marmotte lift looking back up

Looking down into 2000

1/2 way down Mont Blanc. yes everyone does stop at lunchtime. Best time to be out.
snow conditions
Snowing nicely in 2000, wind is up but doesn't look as bad as I've seen before. The morning view, I know form the tables opposite that not a huge amount has falled.

latest report
Anyone know of any webcams on Villaroger side?
snow report
http://www.optimumski.com/webcam.html
latest report
Zermattandchips wrote:
http://www.optimumski.com/webcam.html

Thanks.
latest report
Looks like a good top up of snow snowHead . Any recommendations to watch Watford vs Palace FA Cup Saturday 16th at 13:00, close to a lift so I can maximise the ski time either side of watching? I'll be around Vallandry, Peisey area but could get anywhere in the area for middle of the day if i knew they would have the game on.
latest report
Very grim in 2000, not gone out, can see a trip to Bourg taking preference.
snow conditions
mate out there now says all lifts shut due to high winds...
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

They always keep one or 2 open to avoid refunds. Worth bookmarking, live lifts, pistes.......

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=les-arcs&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, thanks will pass that on to him.
snow report
Hi I’m going in April to 1950 but and then going to maybe ski sainte foy on the sat (if there’s snow) and then stay in 1800 for one night and ski Sunday then drive back in the evening.

I have kit, but need to rent for my daughter so wanted to know the best place in bourg to rent from, need it to be open to 6/7 then I will pick up on my way and drop on Sunday at the end.

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I’ll rent from 1950 and drive back ‘quickly’ on the Sunday, guessing I can pay to park for an hour.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
kitenski wrote:

They always keep one or 2 open to avoid refunds. Worth bookmarking, live lifts, pistes.......

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=les-arcs&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

Ha ha they've got the covered magic carpet running at 2000.
latest report
Wind has died down but still snowing lightly in 2000. Tomorrow is looking superb, expect them to start blasting very early. Wednesday-Friday looking like more heavy snow but high winds.
ski holidays
Nice to see fresh snow almost all day down in 1800, after the recent rain. Temperature seems to be down around 10 degrees C from yesterday.
snow report
Suns out, its not snowing, today will be glorious. Be careful out there though.
ski holidays
I thought I would quickly look at the livecams to see what the conditions are like to day and what a shock.

First of all the conditions looks excellent, but then I have never seen a lift queue in France like the one at Vagere at 9:30 local time this morning. There must be hundreds of people there and a quick guess at the speed it is moving it will be close to 30 minutes to clear. I thought half term finished last weekend. What s the rest of the resort like?
ski holidays
@johnE, indeed queues like I’ve never seen before in March?
ski holidays
@johnE, @thefatcontroller, pre-Brexit rush, all the new builds increasing the number of beds, austerity is over?
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@johnE, @thefatcontroller, pre-Brexit rush, all the new builds increasing the number of beds, austerity is over?
No queue now. Did Vagere open on time this morning? There is often a big queue there the day after a heavy snowfall, especially if there is a delay to opening while the pisteurs do their stuff. But as soon as it opens and people can spread out the queue goes back to normal levels (at this time of year, very short or not at all).
ski holidays
@rob@rar, busy everywhere today.

An awful lot of helicopter activity very high up on Bois Be L'ours this morning for a long time. Several helicopter trips and the group up there were there for over an hour. Didn't look very good form a distance.
snow report
This was the 1st time I saw the helicopter, top right, it did one of those hovering beside the slope stops, the issue seemed to be above the barriers. Then about 30 mins later it came back with something on a winch, we were over at the top of Lanchettes lift then so couldn't see too much detail but seemed to be a group below the barriers for quite a long time.

http://youtube.com/v/jhR_xxFmNSs&feature=youtu.be
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy