Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, haven’t read the whole thread..
There was chat early on in the thread about the Paradiski full area pass having ‘fast track’ through some of the lifts. We realised (2 days in to our week here!) that there are quite a few lifts on the Les Arcs side where we can use them. And I’ve just discovered that they are marked on the most recent piste map. Has been a good time saver for us, particularly at the Mont Blanc lift.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More off piste training today under a blue sky.

Today after a slight delay!! We headed up the Aiguille Rouge. Not a quick queue today. So many ESF groups going up it took for ever as they cut the line using the side entrance.

On the Glacier the mogul field was a challenge and we even had the chance to ski on the blue ice of the glacier. Then for a change. A fast ski down the piste all the way to Villaroger. Fun with few people on the top section, but lower down it became busy near the Lanchette Chair. The new snow canons have made a great difference and now it is an easy ski all the way to the village.

Back up the chairs and all the way to the Grand Col. More off piste training on the chalky slopes between the pistes. The conditions on the grand col area are still very good.

Time for a little trip down to Nancoix so off the back of the Col de la Chal and all the way to the valley. With good timing you can find nice snow conditions all the way to the track out. The top had plenty of room to put down fresh tracks, but you had to first avoid an old avalanche. The middle section was also good as long as you stayed where the re-frozen snow had melted.

The track out was well worn and hard packed most of the way down, but the banked turns were still fun.

Finally back into Peisey for a late lunch then across to the Waterslide. It is open again and still the best free entertainment on the mountain. The boys all made it across and a special well done to the youngest of the group who did it twice without a problem and also to another that after only 4 days of skiing also did not get wet!

Tomorrow will be another day looking for good snow around Les Arcs.

I hope you enjoy the photos of today. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, it's 'another' lift pass question. Can anyone suggest whether we can get a further discount / offer on Les Arcs lift passes for Easter. Family of 5 (3kids) 7 days. Discounted family pass on LesArcs website is 1215euro total, or 243euro a pass - a discount of 60euro or so per adult pass.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richie_S, Yes, a late season pass is available for Easter. I cut this from the Lesarcsnet web site

"Early and late season
Early (December 15th-21st 2018) and late (April 20th-27th 2019) season discounts are available both on Paradiski and Les Arcs/Peisey-Vallandry ski areas. These are available from four hours duration and are also available for families of two adults and two children (5-17 years) for six-day passes and over."

I haven't looked at the family rates but a 6 day adult pass is discounted by 50 euros.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Isn't Easter the week before?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easter Sunday is the 21st this year and the bank holiday the 22nd
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks !

I should’ve been a little clearer, it’s the week before we are there. We arrive in the 13th and travel home Easter Sunday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.planetski.eu/news/11335
Well that’s not very clever!?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wills_h,

Quote:
Three hours later 400 people had to be evacuated from the Residence Les Belles Challes after a fire was discovered in a rubbish chute.

Thanks for letting me know! I must have slept through that....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair, did it actually happen or is it real fake news?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@wills_h, definitely did - friends staying there woken up at 0400ish by pompiers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Controversial this - used the Vanoise Express option on my Les Arcs pass today. Really didn’t think much of the experience. Many, many lifts to get up to Roche de Mio - felt like did more sitting on chairs than skiing. Bellecote Plagne is possibly THE ugliest town in the world and I really didn’t see much on that side to recommend the area. Am I wrong?! On the basis of today I would not want to ski there and am seriously glad I didn’t spring for a Paradiski pass. Really poor option from Les Arcs where in comparison if you travel from LP you take two lifts and can access the entire Les Arcs area

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 20-02-19 21:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There really are some cataclysmically stupid people out there!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wills_h, a quick Google search confirms many press reports but I note that the Belles Challes evacuation was 'partial', so it may only have been the Lauzieres part of the building. I shall make enquiries as it's obviously a concern if I simply slept through it when I should have been evacuated.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Spin Doctor, do you know which section of the building your friends are staying in?
ski holidays
@Spin Doctor, concerning using the VE you're quite right that the connections on the Les Arcs side are much better. I quite enjoy going over the other side for the sense of covering distance and there's good skiing to be had. Bellecote certainly isn't pretty but many of the more recent areas look much better.
snow report
@Alastair, will ask. They are on 11th floor and said fire was in 16? So partial evac. They were ever so slightly concerned that no alarm went off etc etc
snow conditions
Slopes facing side, 11th floor...
latest report
They had a poke around today and there is Fire Brigade tape and a smell that “if it wasn’t a fire it was some very bad dope”. Poppiers said it had been dealt with and no one injured
snow report
@Spin Doctor, many thanks for that. I've been round the 11th floor of both halves of the building and can't see anything but by 'slopes facing side' I'm guessing we're talking about the Lauzieres half of the building which would explain why I wasn't evacuated. (If you haven't ever been in the building the layout and floor numbering are a tad eccentric inside).
snow report
Today was Couloir training day for everyone. Also Avalanche training with a Pisteur. Thank's Silvia you really made it interesting for everyone.

We started with a fast ski over to the Varet gondola and then headed up to the Grand Col. A couple of laps down the different sides of the off piste areas using the different slopes to practice the skills that would be needed later. Even managed to find an interesting steeper section to get everyone thinking!

Then over to the the top of the Transarc and a look at the Freestyle Kid's Competition under the chair. A good education for the youngster's as they saw how other young people of their age can perform with training.

An impromptu Mongul session of our own and then down to the Varet gondola again and onto the lower face of the Aiguille Rouge.

Everyone did really well on the training couloir and other areas where some of the steeper sections were quite challenging.

Finally time for lunch at Melee's, always a popular choice with young people.

After lunch it was up to the Avalanche Park and our training session with a Pisteur. A really good session which got everyone thinking and made them realize how much training is needed to make an effective avalanche search. This training will be repeated each time everyone is out. In a real emergency you do not have much time to save your friends life!

Finally another ski down the bumps and back onto the Arc 1600 side. Down the bumps on Claire Blanc red piste then the Snowpark and over to the waterslide.

Time for a drink and a bit of free entertainment while the youngster's built a jump, then home.

As yesterday, we had large queues on the main lifts , but the smaller ones were not to bad. The pistes everywhere we went today were very similar to yesterday. Hard packed, but with a little soft snow on top. Although on the way home down the Cachette it was hard to hold an edge later in the day.

The off piste was what I like when we do not have powder. A firm base with a chalky layer on top. Excellent for couloir training as you really need to concentrate. Nothing like a little fear of a long slide to focus your mind!

Tomorrow we will head to La Plagne again and hopefully find more good snow and interesting routes.

I hope you like the photos of today. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Regarding the fire, they suspect arson, but not confirmed yet. For sure it was people being very stupid!! If I hear anything I will post it here. Next week promises to be even busier than this week. Let us hope people are a little more careful on the slopes. It was a level 4 day today for sure on piste. I saw quite a few accidents including one at the waterslide.
ski holidays
Anyone ventured down Malgovert this week? I wondered why it is closed. Shame as kids love that run.
Villaroger runs for us so far today, lovely.
latest report
Spin Doctor wrote:
Controversial this - used the Vanoise Express option on my Les Arcs pass today. Really didn’t think much of the experience. Many, many lifts to get up to Roche de Mio - felt like did more sitting on chairs than skiing. ... Really poor option from Les Arcs where in comparison if you travel from LP you take two lifts and can access the entire Les Arcs area

Seems a bit biased! How about "... used the Vanoise Express option on my La Plagne pass today. Really didn’t think much of the experience. Many, many lifts to get up to Grand Col - felt like did more sitting on chairs than skiing. ... Really poor option from Plagne Centre where in comparison if you travel from LA 1800 you take two lifts and can access the entire La Plagne area". Very Happy

From both resorts accessing the other is straightforward / worthwhile if you start somewhere nearer the link (1800 / Vallandry on one side; Belle Plagne / Bellecote / Les Coches / Montchavin on the other), and less worthwhile if you are further away.

(Only 4 lifts from VE to RdM).
ski holidays
Spin Doctor wrote:
Controversial this - used the Vanoise Express option on my Les Arcs pass today. Really didn’t think much of the experience. Many, many lifts to get up to Roche de Mio - felt like did more sitting on chairs than skiing. Bellecote Plagne is possibly THE ugliest town in the world and I really didn’t see much on that side to recommend the area. Am I wrong?! On the basis of today I would not want to ski there and am seriously glad I didn’t spring for a Paradiski pass. Really poor option from Les Arcs where in comparison if you travel from LP you take two lifts and can access the entire Les Arcs area

I've been to Paradiski many times. First 3 or 4 before the VE was open - stayed in Belle Plagne, Arc 2000, Champagny and many more times since it was opened - mostly staying Les Coches.

Few things here:

#1 Once over the VE you need 4 lifts to get to the Roche De Mio or 3 lifts to get over to Bellecote as opposed to say a chair, a very long traverse and a two-stage cable (Transarc) to get to the equivalent in Les Arcs. I personally wouldn't say that was overly onerous or markedly different. Les Coches is at 1450m and RdM 2700m. That is always going to take a bit of time.

#2 Bellecote is ugly? Perhaps. It's certainly not a thing of beauty. Are Arc 1600/1800/2000 any better? Not a great deal I'd say. It provides a large quantity of cheap basic accommodation and I don't sit there looking at it a great deal.

#3 Is the skiing worth it? For me a resounding YES. Whether on piste or off, the options and variations are almost limitless. The only bit that I don't particular like and rarely go is the Glacier which brings me on to:

#4 The lift system. There are a few poor standard lifts and some bottle necks. In particular I avoid the RdM and Bellecote bubbles. But equally the Grand Col lift is achingly slow on the Les Arcs side and I often find the queues to get up Ag. Rouge off putting.

In conclusion: For me, they are two very comparable ski areas, that benefit from being linked together. Staying in Les Coches, I can make my choice and spend the day in either... sometimes even split a day. I don't think I would ever go to Paradiski and not ski both sides.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't think I would ever go to Paradiski and not ski both sides.

I've spent 20 days in Les Arcs this season and even though I have a Paradiski pass I have only been to La Plagne once. Not that I have anything against the place just found plenty to entertain me on the Les Arcs side.

The Bellecote is a beatutiful mountain
snow report
@Spin Doctor, you asked earlier about the run down to Villaroger - I went down there today and the snow is in excellent condition.

I did find the remnants of the fire in Lauzieres, thanks for your help. Given where it was I'm not concerned about having slept through it all. It would have been OTT to evacuate Belles Challes as well.
snow report
Ski knees wrote:
Anyone ventured down Malgovert this week? I wondered why it is closed. Shame as kids love that run.
Villaroger runs for us so far today, lovely.

Answered my own question this afternoon. For anyone who is interested, Molgovert is ski -able, just about, according to the kids the snow is very thin in areas but there is a well marked route and care is needed. The fearless teens enjoyed it though.
snow conditions
[quote="Alastair"]@Spin Doctor, you asked earlier about the run down to Villaroger - I went down there today and the snow is in excellent condition.

Yes us too - very enjoyable - pistes almost empty and some really fun OP and moguls around too. Had lunch at Belliou La Fumée and immediately booked again for tomorrow although we may need to take the credit card Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thursday 21 Feb. Today was a Bellecote day. We headed over to La Plagne early, but by the time we had been down the Fun Slope and reached the top of Roche de Mio there was already a large queue for the Bellecote Gondola.

Instead we had a blast down Brown Trouser Ridge and finding jumps on the way to the Champagny Gully. Down the gully in soft snow all the way to the Borseliers chair then back up to the Bellecote Glacier.

Into the Bellecote bowl and a lap down the north side in surprisingly good snow. Then back up again and down the left side of the Friolin bowl in the shade. The snow all the way down was very good and in some places we even found some untracked soft.

Finally out at the bottom of the Bauches Chair and back up the lifts and off piste most of the way down to Les Coches.

All the pistes were busy today and most lifts had large queues. The quality of the snow on piste was OK, but becoming very hard packed by late in the day. It was another level 4 piste day for sure as I saw a number of crashes and out of control skiers or snowboarders. There are also many Ski School groups snaking right across the pistes in many places which you must avoid.

The Off piste was quite empty with nobody around for our first route and only one other group on the Friolin. The snow was very mixed with light soft snow, chalky snow, hard packed crusty snow and soft slush at different times.

I hope you like the pictures from today. Tomorrow we will be back in Les Arcs.
latest report
Friday 22 Feb. Half Term break for some is nearly over, but today we managed to do more off piste routes and even found some soft snow and excellent chalky snow in various places.

Started with a fast ski across to the Varet gondola from Arc 1600 and then all the way down the Flying Km piste nature. Moguls top to bottom. A great place for building on the skills which were learnt yesterday.

Then back up again and this time down a much steeper training couloir and all the way to the Lanchette chair.

Over into the Park and time for another longer route. From the left ridge all the way to Villaroger via Par Avalanche which had very mixed snow. The youngster's even had the chance to start leading down some sections.

A nice lunch at the Ferme and then back up to the Arc 2000 bowl. The younger members of the group headed for the snow park and waterslide whilst we managed another route through the park.

More nice snow and steeper sections all the way through the avalanche barriers and down to the the Comborciere Chair. Back up and across to join the others at the Altiport.

The youngsters had made a great jump and the waterslide and air bag at the Altiport were very busy, but still fun!

Finally it was time to go home with a fast ski all the way to Arc 1600.

The pistes everywhere today were busy and although firm in the morning. By late afternoon they had become hard packed and very difficult to hold an edge on the steeper busy pistes. Another level four day on piste with many out of control skiers and snowboarders around.

The Off piste was in good condition everywhere we went with firm chalky snow and even a little soft snow in places.

Another really fun day. I hope you like the photos. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
A fun week comes to an end. I hope all those I have been skiing with during the past week have a safe trip home.

Today for those still around we managed one more trip off the top of the Aiguille Rouge down the black piste and then through the Nature reserve to Villaroger. Then over to the Arc 1600 side for a play on the bumps, in the snowpark and on the waterslide.

For those that like reading our route.
With no queues on the lifts as it was changeover day we had little delay and were soon on our way down the black piste from the glacier which was in great condition. Then into the Lanchette Valley off piste area on chalky firm snow all the way to the blue Lys piste below.

Back up the lifts and over to the Bumps off the Arpette ridge down to the snowpark for a last blast over the jumps and then one more go at the waterslide.

Finally time for lunch and some of the group had to leave for the airport. For those still around another play in the snowpark and then one more go at the home made jumps near the Alitport before a fast ski back to Arc 1600.

The pistes were not to busy today and the snow everywhere was in great condition as it had not been worn by large crowds yet.

Many people have arrived today so for anyone around during the coming week, expect very busy pistes and queues at the lifts. However the sky is blue, the sun is shinning and although the mornings are cold, the afternoons are warm and it could be a lot worse. You should have a good holiday and send me a PM if you fancy meeting up.

I am sure those of us around will be continuing with our off piste adventures to keep away from the crowds.

I hope you enjoy the photos of today! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

For anyone wanting to check on road conditions for driving his weekend. Please use these links. Hope you find them useful. https://en.lesarcs.com/state-of-the-roads.html http://www.savoie-route.fr/?lang=en and http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/index,langen.html
latest report
Excellent day on the Bellecote today. Blue sky and hardly another person on the mountain. The crowds are all on the pistes!!

Just blasted over to the Bellecote first thing when the lifts opened and managed a lap on the bowl before heading into the Canadian couloir and back to Les Arcs. A nice picnic in the sun on the way down. Not a hard day, but very nice!

On the way over there were no queues, but on the way back in Les Arcs the people had come out and the pistes were busy and we had to queue for a while on every lift.

Hope you like the photos. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
Easy day today so will post another update tomorrow. Anyone that is around right now. Wednesday there will be a Les Arcs Safety Day.

Check out the link. https://www.lesarcs.com/agenda/la-safety-day.html
snow conditions
Tuesday 26 Feb and the sun keeps on shinning.

After an easy day yesterday when I cruised the pistes in the morning and stopped early. Today we went over to the Bellecote and although the lifts and pistes were busy it was not as slow getting across as last week.

A lap of the bowl in very mixed snow conditions with everything from chalky snow to wet spring snow all in one run where we were almost alone the whole time and then onto the North Face. Still some soft snow around although our route was a mix of firm chalky snow, lumpy soft snow in the middle and then more firm snow before a fast exit to the bus on a well skied track.

Tomorrow the weather is likely to start to change with snow forecast for later in the week. Some of us will head for the LA Safety day at the top of the Transarc where you can test avalanche gear and see some demonstrations. Then maybe a short off piste route. If anyone wants to join us send me a PM.

Hope you enjoy the photos from today. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
snow report
Today was the Les Arcs Safety day and they had some interesting demonstrations including avalanche searching using a dog and Recco tags.

It also gave us the chance to test some skis and I even got to blow something up! Well, let off the new Electric Airbag anyway! An interesting idea, but think I would want to see some proof of success before I switched from the mechanical system.

I tried the new Soul 7 and also the Ros 92. they were both good, but new skis seem to be getting much more expensive. Best wait until the sales begin. The Hero Elite Short turn piste ski was also fun, but very stiff and not very good for my leg. Best not use skis like that this season.

After a morning spent at the Safety stands we headed to Arc 1950 for a Melee Lunch and then up onto the Lanchette Chair and into the Nature Reserve.

Firm chalky snow at the start. Then a little lumpy in the middle section and finally more chalky snow and then soft spring snow towards the bottom. Most enjoyable getting away from the crowds on the piste today.

A play under the lift and through the trees on the way down to Comborciere chair. A quick stop for a drink at the Pre St Esprit Chalet whilst my friend played some music. Then home via the Mont Blanc piste.

A good day and easy on the legs, ready for a full day tomorrow weather permitting.

Hope you enjoy the photos from today. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
I'm heading to Arc 2000 in just over a week. Not expecting to many options, especially on the slopes, however any recommendations for vegan food would be great.
ski holidays
Thursday 28 Feb. Blue sky and a warm day, but the weather is forecast to change and bring snow in the coming days. Best to make the most of the great weather and enjoy one more day on the Bellecote.

With large queues and busy pistes it took a while to get up onto the Glacier today, but once we arrived it was time to do a lap of the bowl and then onto the North Face and the Canadian Couloir by the easier entrance.

After the poor conditions in the Bellecote bowl we headed down the Canadian couloir on good chalky snow and after a nice picnic in the sun it was down to the bus and back to Les Arcs with a fast ski back to the Waterslide for a bit of free entertainment and home.

For those interested, take a look at the photos from today and see what conditions were like.

With fresh snow on the way our next trip down the Bellecote might be in powder again later in the week.

Hopefully it will be fresh snow on the hills in the morning. Another post later tomorrow with a report of the changing conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
@White Pele, I'm sure there was an article about this recently on lesarcnet,

Found it:

https://www.lesarcsnet.com/news/the-best-vegetarian-and-vegan-options-in-les-arcs-les-arcs-villages-714724

Let me know how you get on as my other half is vegan and I'm hoping that she will come on her first visit next season.
ski holidays
It's certainly snowing now - quite big flakes as I can see them on the Webcams!
latest report
@skitrack, we arrive 9th so next week is looking a great top up with more the week after.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy